Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
I had heard this as well but I just got the note this week for my boat trailer that has gvwr of 4100lbs. Not sure I get that.
What is it REGISTERED for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I believe that if you have a trailer that requires a license plate, then you will have to get a safety inspection before the next registration.
Joe
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi...nCriteria.aspx

"05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight"

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2015, 07:21 AM   #30
cwf

Yup been going on in Texas for years. Now will be "enforced". There have been many "moving" to Texas who are unaware of the law. Surely NO ONE would ignore the law!

Also, once upon a time owners were self-supporting in maintenance, etc. Now there are folks who run trailers without proper safety items or broken items. Yeah, I am shocked as well!

I know of many "collisions" where when inspected, trailers actually had faulty brakes possibly causing loss of control! Wow, hooda thunk it??? My 10,000 # TT and 6,500# TV need brakes??!!!!

Old 03-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #31

Acording to the guide for what is inspected it looks like we Texans are going to have to add Safety Guards (mud flaps) behind the rear tires on out RV trailers.

Edit: Are the mud flaps only for motor homes? Seems that only pole trailers are exempt.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneb236 View Post
Just a quick note, I'm LEO and our municipal court judge advised us that expired or no inspection stickers are no longer a cause for PC to pull anyone over. Therefore you can remove any inspection sticker now without fear of a ticket. That's in the DFW area but I'm sure the judge studied the state law on this. I've already removed my motorcycle inspection plate and will be removing them from my vehicle as they expire of course. This is a grace year so there will be tons of non inspected vehicles roaming around out there.
I am sure this will be statewide once the registrations catch up with the inspections. as it will be logged in the dmv database. so the leo will know right away when they run your tag if the inspection is done. plus your window sticker for your registration will also provide proof of inspection. eventually the inspection window sticker will be phased out as the match up occurs.
my rv reg sticker is three years...it expires next year, inspection expires this month.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
...my rv reg sticker is three years...it expires next year, inspection expires this month.

I'm wondering how that's going to work.... There's a part in the new law that prohibits multi-year registrations as I read it. I wonder how its going to affect people who bought their tag for 2 or 3 years just prior to the new law.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #34

I had every intention of renewing my TT Tag in February and just didn't get it done so I had to jump through this latest hoop...

What ticked me off even more than having to go through dragging the TT to town was that when I got it to the inspection station they only thing they did was get the VIN and tag/expiration then sit down at the 'puter and print me a page. They never looked at anything or even had me turn on the lights for them... It was like wasting time on top of already wasted time.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #35

Quote:
I am sure this will be statewide once the registrations catch up with the inspections. as it will be logged in the dmv database. so the leo will know right away when they run your tag if the inspection is done. plus your window sticker for your registration will also provide proof of inspection. eventually the inspection window sticker will be phased out as the match up occurs.
my rv reg sticker is three years...it expires next year, inspection expires this month.
So you're good on inspection till the next time you have to get it registered. Same for me for my motorcycle. Reg was 5 months before inspection due. Now I don't have to inspect till next Feb when it's registered.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #36

While I was at a local dealer this past Monday to get a TT inspection I looked at 2 other trailers there for inspections that had bald tires. The service guy told me neither would pass. Hopefully, this new "law" will keep those people off the roads. I don't want them in front of me.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #37

There is going to be a lot of confusion for some time--what is actually required for passing, and how thorough the inspection process is. Just took my fiver by the shop that does my inspections/oil changes--they looked at all lights/signals, verified the VIN, inputted to computer and that was that. Tires could have been bald, brakes non-functioning--as long as the brake lights work...
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:53 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
Acording to the guide for what is inspected it looks like we Texans are going to have to add Safety Guards (mud flaps) behind the rear tires on out RV trailers.

Edit: Are the mud flaps only for motor homes? Seems that only pole trailers are exempt.
Always been required. If the rear most axle of a vehicle (trailer truck MH) has two wheels/tires or a super single, it requires mud flaps that are 4"-12" off the ground IIRC.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:54 AM   #39

Quote:
How did you get a multi year registration?
Old 03-21-2015, 01:35 PM   #40

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If this starts in Calif, I am going to start a mobile inspection business.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:36 PM   #41
cwf

The next step will be Weights and Measures..... Watch for those guys and gal LEO's to be checking the Weights on TV's and TT's...
Old 03-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
The next step will be Weights and Measures..... Watch for those guys and gal LEO's to be checking the Weights on TV's and TT's...
Where is that info?

Tags
texas