Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #1

Heated Hose Alternative

2019 Heartland Mallard M185BH four-season trailer.

We have a trip planned for the last weekend of Nov. to the mountains of Northeastern Alabama and night temps are estimated to be mid to high 20's.

I'm not sure I can afford a $100.00+ heated hose for city water connection.

What are my options? The daytime temps should be in the 40's so should I just fill fresh water tank every day or as needed and leave the hose disconnected?

Thanks.
Brenwol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #2

Forget the heated hose, not worth the money and aggravation, fill the fw. tank remove the hose and live worry free.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:21 PM   #3

YEP^^^^^^

Fill tank and use on-board pump

Haven't hooked up to 'city water' in over 10 yrs.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:23 AM   #4

I sanitize the fresh water tank at least once a year and keep fresh water on board at all times. Never know when you will need it.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:14 AM   #5

They have the heat tap for $45 bucks at Home Depot. It works quite well.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:47 AM   #6

I think I was looking at your model and see it has a 52 gallon fresh water tank. I would fill it use the water from the fresh water tank on the cold nights. Actually 52 gallon should last you at least 7 or 8 days. I can take a navy shower with 5 gallons of water easy.

Fill it during the non freezing temps of day. Disconnect the hose and use your on-board self contained water at night.

Enjoy the camping
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
The heated hose alterative is drain the hose you have and put it into a place it will not freeze overnight. Then use your onboard full water tank as needed. Refill if required the next day.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
While in the Texas Panhandle as a project manager for two winters when temps dropped into the single digits, I followed my construction managers /superintendents guidance on water hose freeze protection.

Presuming you have a 25 foot long water hose, purchase low cost heat tape at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. that looks similar to this --> https://www.homedepot.com/p/30-ft-Au...C30A/100196471

Use high temperature electrical tape to secure the heat tape the hose then insulate the entire hose with the cheap gray foam "tubes" --> https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...-204760801-_-N Attach any extra length of the heat tape to the faucet and its pipe to keep them from freezing.

The result is a heat traced, insulated hose for <$50 compared to $100+ for a "heated hose" from Camping World. My self-made heated hose never froze even when temps dropped into the single digits at night / mid-20's during the day for many days in a row.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #9

Warning about the use of heat tape

I would like to add a warning regarding the use of heat tape, but first of all for a trip like that it's not worth going through the hassle as I said in my original reply.
Anybody using heat tape make sure never to cross or overlap sections of heat tape as it will become a serious fire hazard. Always tape the heat tape laying flat to the hose or pipe, try to avoid twisting and never cross or overlap.

After that the entire hose should be wrapped in aluminum foil and then insulated - but that's probably overkill unless you're up in this part of the world and it still might fail if the power goes out only for a few minutes.

Tags
heat