Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #1

helllppp!!!!!

I have a 2000 sunline w/ 16 ft slide with a barkers ezslide motor and running gear used to move slide room in and out . The thing is I have been having a clicking noise while trying to move it in and out it would move the room at all narrowed it down to the motor . I sent motor to barker manufacuring and the said my clutches was out and electric motor was weak so they rebuilt it and sent it to me and I installed it back on slide room . Tried room moved a little bit but soon same thing . Click click click .then I send motor back and they said I have a stripped out worm drive . I tore it apart and once again the worm drive was stripped . here I am now .the room seems like it's dragging towards the rear maybe putting it in a bind but the thing is when I crank it out manually it's cranks fine but not now because the worm gear is stripped I don't know what to . I don't know how to adjust the floor it does seem like it's dragging on the rear so maybe you guys can give me some input on how to adjust the room higher in the towards the back of the coach .or something else I can try I'm at wits end with this thing don't know what to do I am have I have a trip planned this weekend and would like to be able to use it I can crank the bars underneath manually was an adjustable wrench in the room goes out fine it is in time I don't know what to do please help!!!!
2000sunline is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Where are you located?

If your slide feels like it's dragging, I would be willing to bet that something is on a bind, or in serious need of lubrication. You can buy RV slide out dry lube at Wal Mart. That is a good lube for the slide arms themselves. If you are relatively close by, I'd be happy to offer some assistance. I have a bit of experience with Sunline slide mechanisms.

Gary
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #3

I have used lube on the arms .but it's what I don't get is why does it crank in manually in and out just fine but when you use the electric motor it's strips the worm drive out
Old 05-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000sunline View Post
I have used lube on the arms .but it's what I don't get is why does it crank in manually in and out just fine but when you use the electric motor it's strips the worm drive out
There is quite a bit of gear reduction in those mechanisms. Cranking by hand almost makes it feel effortless. Your system should also have rollers and they have been known to seize up.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #5

rollers as on the arms or underneath or on the room floor the rollers on the arms are not seized up I don't understand it at all
Old 05-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
These pictures are from another 2000 Sunline slideout. Please let me know if this is the same mechanism you have.

First picture is one of the rollers, that are under the arms..

The gear, that retracts and extends the arm...

One of the rollers, that the slide rides on...

Motor and drive assembly...

The bearings in those rollers can get to where they drag and cause a lot of friction, when they are under load. It's possible that they need to be replaced, to allow the slide to move more freely. If it's only the rear of the slide that is dragging, I would be looking at those bearings and rollers very closely. Maybe have someone hand crank it, while you are watching.

A word of caution... When hand cranking a slide, DO NOT use a lot of force on the crank handle! With the gear reduction these things have, it is very very easy to over-torque the whole drive mechanism!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Also.... Check your private message inbox.....
Old 05-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #8

Yes this slide is same set up i have identical!!! Is there any adjusting to these . The rollers all move freely I had to crank up slide room to check.them but they do move
Old 06-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
When the slide is completely in, are the outside edges even? Is the rear of the slide tighter against the side of the trailer, or vice versa?
Old 06-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #10

No the back is out 1/2 inch and we timed it twice and every time we get slide to move a little it jumps time .
Old 06-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #11

A little lube in all the appropriate places, and some wire brushing and paint on the rusted areas would undoubtedly help as well...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000sunline View Post
No the back is out 1/2 inch and we timed it twice and every time we get slide to move a little it jumps time .
If there are bolts through the drive rods, you should be able to remove one and manually time the slide where it belongs. When you say it keeps jumping time, do you mean that it make the ratcheting noise?

I also agree that the lube, or lack of, could be a good part of the problem... Hopefully, we can get you up and running!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #13

No not the ratcheting noise we are timing it with the arms that connect to motor we removed the pins and timed it . I don't wanna take it to a shop to much money for labor . Does anyone know if there are rollers under the floor of slide that could be bent or something it does not look like there is . It looks like the arms hold it up just above
Old 06-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner... We had a rally for Sunline owners over the weekend. If you are timing it by taking the pins out, that is the correct way. I've forwarded your message to a Sunline slide expert... We'll see what he comes up with.