Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2015, 05:28 PM   #1

Hello I'm a Newb. Help :)

Hello RV lovers.

I'm a newb but have been researching everything from tiny homes (yeah tiny expensive) to RV's (all types). Things are tight income wise and it appears an RV trailer would be my best option. It would be only myself and currently 3 dogs (one very sick so..don't wanna think about it).

I will obviously have to choose a later model or a newer used in the $5,000-10,000 range (preferably 5-7,000).

Since I'm new I feel like a fish out of water and have so many questions but will be perusing the boards for answers in the coming days.

Some of them if anyone wants to input answers/experiences I'd greatly appreciate.

1)I'm a very introverted type person and need private lots/land. If I owned the land can I put an RV trailer on it and will a power company run 'juice' to it? If not my other idea was owning land living off the grid using solar and propane then emptying the sewer tank/refilling water ones at a nearby campground as needed.

My main concern is the dogs not being used to being around people and needing privacy. They will not walk on a leash since raised in the country and fenced yard. Is there lots for RV's that are private without many people nearby?

2)The other big time concern is the diff brands and winterizing the RV trailer for full-time winter use. Is this a huge undertaking cost and otherwise cause some of the areas I wanna live are cold (which I like).

3)My current truck is shot and looking at a used 2008 Chevy Colorado but it only has a tow weight of 2400.0 lbs. This is kinda low I think since it would mean a small RV trailer would be necessary (ultralight?). I'd prefer at least 17-20ft but seems small ones are well small and the longer ones heavy.

4)Maintenance on the RV trailer (leakage etc), roughly is this expensive? Should I consider finding a small home on a trailer versus an RV? IDK so many questions..sigh.

Thanks everyone, not sure if this was the right place to put this post. I've got to move because of my health deterioration and it's been a dream of mine. I'm tired of throwing money away to the rent man and need my own place. I'm not rich but will do what I can to get the money needed but costs need to be as low as possible (case anyone replies).

Happy RVing, hope to join you all soon.

Jake
DownsizeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Jake! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:25 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:17 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:41 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #6

Hi Jake, welcome to IRV2. I'm not going to be any help on finding a private location but I will say that you will need more truck than a Colorado. You will need at least a 1500/F150 size truck with a V8 engine to pull a RV large enough to live in full time.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome Jake. I agree with Justafordguy. You're going to need at least a full sized pickup or SUV and even then you will need to watch your weight. Take a look at the used models available and decide what size you need.

We had a very lightweight Trailsport T25 by Rvision (3850 lbs dry), 25' living space and 29' total. We pulled it with a 2006 Tundra and it did very well. The Trailsport was not made for full time living (not that well built and not insulated enough) so you can see what you may be up against.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted on what you find.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:46 PM   #8

Jake.....so many questions! You failed to tell us where you currently live.
I assume it has winter based on all the winterizing questions.
First thing I'd suggest is buy a lightly used unit in good condition. There are thousands out there!
Second is where to live....go south to avoid the winterizing problem and lower your costs.....buy the unit close to where you decide to live.
Now some more details.....electric companies will run a power line on to property you own even without a permanent home in place....a junction box can be installed on a post with either 30amp or 50 amp service connections to plug an RV into.
Your next issue is a septic to connect your trailer's system to (you failed to mention that).
Next a water connection...if city water then use that....otherwise you need a well.
Many towns will not allow you to live in the camper....check to see if they allow what you want to do.....your best bet is a rural area.

It is all very complex.....as to "Tiny Houses".... I'd call that a bad idea....most I have seen are built on a travel trailer frame by people who do not have any idea about weight and towing. They employ standard lumber that is far too heavy to allow towing....add poor design ideas to the weight factor and you have a rolling disaster. RV trailer manufactureres have been at this a long time and they know how to do it right.

Good luck on this very interesting project.
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote