Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Hello newbie needing advice

My wife and I are returning to camping after many years. We had a pop-up in the 80s which we used going out west with the kids, We love to take the back roads and trails using our 4Runner Trail. We currently have a Marmot Helo 4p tent but are looking for a small trailer to use as a base camp.

We have been doing research on what TT to buy that is can be pulled by the 4Runner which has a 5K capacity. Does anyone have experience with the Winnebago Micro Minnie? The 2015s have a pretty good price on them right now.

Also has anyone used the champion generators? We plan on doing some non-campground camping and believe that a generator would come in real handy but I really don't want to spend 2K on a Honda or Yamaha.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.
boater1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
If your going to use the generator a lot I would spend the extra money and get the Honda. They are quiet and reliable and well worth the extra money. Just my opinion. Quiet Quiet Quiet
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #3

Boater, I have the predecessor to the Micro Minnie, a 2012 Sunnybrook Harmony. Win bought out Sunnybrook in 2010 and has rebranded their line. Still very good quality trailers when compared to most. As for the gen, I have two Honda 2000's that I can run in parallel (to power my roof A/C) or one at a time to recharge the trailer batteries. In my experience, you will not need your A/C much (depending where you camp) as we tend to find high elevation campsites in the summer in order to cool off a bit. The Champion and other construction-type generators are noisy, no two ways about it. See if the Minnie has room for two Group 24 batteries on the trailer tongue (mine does) and make sure the trailer you buy has a 3-stage converter-charger (like one made by Progressive Dynamics Mighty Mini All-In-One System AC/DC Power Distribution Panel and Inteli-Power Converter A three stage charger will save your batteries from overcharging. For us, we don't watch TV when camping and make little use of the lights (I've upgraded all to LEDs (http://http://commandelectronics.com/product/536/), so we can go about 3 days before needing to charge the batteries using one Honda 2000 for about 2 hours.
Enjoy your search!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
If your going to use the generator a lot I would spend the extra money and get the Honda. They are quiet and reliable and well worth the extra money. Just my opinion. Quiet Quiet Quiet
X2!! If the noise doesn't matter to you, at least consider the people that may be in a five mile radius.

And... Welcome back to the wonderful world of camping!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your plans.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Boater, I have the predecessor to the Micro Minnie, a 2012 Sunnybrook Harmony. Win bought out Sunnybrook in 2010 and has rebranded their line. Still very good quality trailers when compared to most. As for the gen, I have two Honda 2000's that I can run in parallel (to power my roof A/C) or one at a time to recharge the trailer batteries. In my experience, you will not need your A/C much (depending where you camp) as we tend to find high elevation campsites in the summer in order to cool off a bit. The Champion and other construction-type generators are noisy, no two ways about it. See if the Minnie has room for two Group 24 batteries on the trailer tongue (mine does) and make sure the trailer you buy has a 3-stage converter-charger (like one made by Progressive Dynamics Mighty Mini All-In-One System AC/DC Power Distribution Panel and Inteli-Power Converter A three stage charger will save your batteries from overcharging. For us, we don't watch TV when camping and make little use of the lights (I've upgraded all to LEDs (http://http://commandelectronics.com/product/536/), so we can go about 3 days before needing to charge the batteries using one Honda 2000 for about 2 hours.
Enjoy your search!
Cruzbill Do these lights just plug into the ones that are currently in the trailer?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #8

Champion does make small inverter type generators that are very quiet and considerably cheaper than Honda or Yamaha.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #9

I have a Minnie (not the micro) and it's been great. I also have the Champion 3500/4000w generator.
It is bigger, heavier and louder than the Honda, but also has enough power to run the AC and a 30A RV plug. I paid $225 and it has worked perfectly. At that price point, I have a very hard time justifying the Honda.

On the Micro Minnie, the only things I would call out are that it does not have the gel coat fiberglass that the fulsize Minnie has. They also use a tankless water heater, which is fine if you have power, but I don't believe you can get hot water via propane when not hooked up. You may want to check that, as I'm not 100% sure.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #10

Looks like you're in the right area for great advise .......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:00 PM   #11

Boater, the LED upgrade lights from Command Electronics just plug into the 921 socket where the bulb is now. Easy!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:21 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:56 AM   #13

My friend has a Champion generator I have a Yamaha 2400IS. His generator is annoying which makes mine sound extra quiet. The Yamaha 2400 will start a 13,500 BTU A/C unit if you start it on fan first then A/C low, then A/C high.

Airstream made a small trailer named 'Base Camp'. If you can find one of those used it might be a good buy. StarCraft makes AR One trailers.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:13 AM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
Thanks for the information

Tags
advice, newbie