Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2011, 07:35 AM   #1

Help !

Just took new TT out on it's first trip,
Stopped and filled up water and after setting up camp we noticed that the underbelly of the rig was completely full of water. <the entire belly is completely sealed>. after calling for service and not able to get anyone out to look at it, from where we were. We were told to cut open the seal ... Upon doing so, 10-20 gallons poured out. The tank and the fittings around it are sealed. We started filling tank again and water would begin pouring out after about 2/3's full.
Yes it's under warranty but would like to finish our year up without having it in the shop.
Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3742831531.png
Views:	185
Size:	750.8 KB
ID:	13926

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are staying in campgrounds with hookups you don't have a problem. If you are dry camping, the answer is to only fill the tank half full. Empty the tank before you move because you don't wan't the water sloshing out and keeping the bottom wet. As long as you let the bottom dry out and keep it dry, you will be alright. Of course get it fixed as soon as you get through with your season.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #3

I swear, I don't understand how these basic quality control issues continue to crop up. First trip and already a major problem. I feel your pain.

Although it doesn't help you out one bit, you have an awesome looking TT.

Good luck with your service.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #4

Your fresh tank should have an overflow tube, check where or if that is exposed under the rig, it may not be connected or was not extended below the underbelly seal.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy View Post
Your fresh tank should have an overflow tube, check where or if that is exposed under the rig, it may not be connected or was not extended below the underbelly seal.
Sounds like a reasonable answer. I wonder if that was the issue?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot View Post
I swear, I don't understand how these basic quality control issues continue to crop up.
My feelings exactly!
I've only been a member here since May, but I'm SHOCKED at how many brand new rigs have this kind of problem.
Or ANY kind of problem!
Can you imagine a car manufacturer staying in business putting out vehicles with problems like this?
Can it be that we've come to expect not to get what we paid for?

Do us all a favor, Kiwano.
Take this lemon BACK TO THE DEALER and demand your money back.
Then go shopping and tell the salesman you'll do the same to him if he sells you a rig that's not perfect in every way.
Maybe if enough folks do that, the industry will wise up!

But it's got to start somewhere...

Francesca
Old 09-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
I'm SHOCKED at how many brand new rigs have this kind of problem. Or, ANY kind of problem!
It would seem to me that this industry is ripe for some type of quality evaluation resource like a JD Power.

As I read through what seems to be post after post of issues upon issues, I keep wondering what is the total % of trailers that have initial quality issues? What are those brands/sub-brands? Is there any consistency among the issues? Etc., etc.

At this point, I'm nowhere near ready to pick a new TT for my family. Our good ol' Coleman pop-up continues to be a work horse with only very minor issues (i.e. normal maintenance) in the 9 years we've owned it.

When/If you find that perfect trailer Francesca, let us know!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot View Post

When/If you find that perfect trailer Francesca, let us know!
I'm helping a pal shop right now, but the more I read here, the more I want to advise him to buy something second hand- it'll be all fixed up by the poor schmo that bought it NEW!
Sometimes it seems like we live in an upside down world...

Onward through the fog!

Francesca
Old 09-28-2011, 02:37 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
We dont know if it IS a Quality Control issue... I dont have his TT, but it could be something as simple as an open valve...
Old 09-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #10

Buying used is an answer either, how many units get traded in because of problems? Our Gulfstream Conquest we traded in was a pile of junk and only 2 years old. Dealers just slap a price tag on them and resells them.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #11

Thanks everyone for the replies, my first TT and my first post to the forums, being a new trailer I believe it is the overflow tube, seeing as it is new and I have a few more trips to take, and I do not want to risk tying it up in the shop.
So until someone rips the entire underside off I am going to wait. I have a few trips still planned where I will utilize full hook-up. Thanks again, I will post what the actual problem is once I take in at seasons end.