RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #1

Help

We are new to RVing but excited to dive into it. My wife and I just purchased a small 2017 Winnebago drop 1710 Everything else seems simple to operate but the furnace and the water heater.
Can someone out there give us a step by step on how to operate/start the heater and the water heater? I assume the heater and water heater are both heated from the same furnace?
Here are a few questions:
The travel trailer is currently dewinterize so is it necessary to have the water tank filled before we start the furnace?
Is the heater electrically powered or can the battery power enough to power the heat?
Thatís it for now but I am sure we will have more issues in the future. I am just glad that this forum exist for help. Thanks in advance!!!

Jimeneaf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #2

Does the Winnebago water heater have an electric function? The furnace in our unit is self igniting. We set the temp, and it does the rest. Of course making sure the tanks are turned on.

As for the water heater, if itís not electric, make sure gas is on, turn switch to pilot, and ignite. Then set the temp. This forum is a great place, but know what type of water heater and furnace you have can help out a lot. Let me know, see what we can do.

Dfair622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #3

Help

As for the other questions, you shouldnít need to fill the water tank for the furnace to work.

Furnaces are normally gas only. You would need electricity for the unit to turn on. You can use the battery if needed, but Iíd plug in.

Hope everything goes well for ya!
Old 04-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #4

Make sure there is water in the water heater before starting it up
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #5

Thank you for your quick response.
The Winnebago has electric hook up. When you say tank you meant the propane tank right? I have an Atwood furnace model afs12. Ok I will try the furnace with the battery and with the electric.
As far as the water heater, the system is an Atwood LP has water heater. I was looking for the pilot but I didn’t see it. So I assume it just automatically ignites by itself. The trailer is still dewinterize meaning the water tank is empty. Is it a bad idea to try it without water or I have to fill it up?
Old 04-21-2019, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimeneaf42 View Post
Thank you for your quick response.
The Winnebago has electric hook up. When you say tank you meant the propane tank right? I have an Atwood furnace model afs12. Ok I will try the furnace with the battery and with the electric.
As far as the water heater, the system is an Atwood LP has water heater. I was looking for the pilot but I didnít see it. So I assume it just automatically ignites by itself. The trailer is still dewinterize meaning the water tank is empty. Is it a bad idea to try it without water or I have to fill it up?

You need to fill the water heater before lighting it, but the fresh water tank doesnít have to be full. Can you post a picture of that water heater from the open panel?
Old 04-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #7

Attach files
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43A67F42-B7C4-4E98-A49A-BD0CFEA5AC71.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	242992   Click image for larger version

Name:	72FF9690-4DC3-43F3-9391-8E8F41F655CF.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	242993  

Old 04-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I'd go ahead and put in enough water to run the pump and make water come out of the hot faucet. You need to find out if everything holds water anyway.

Try these basic troubleshooting steps. Print this and use it as a check list.

The fact that both are not working makes me want to check for propane. Turn the stove burner on and light it. If your flame is good then you have propane coming through. If not then start by elimination. On the tank there is a gauge. Check to see if it shows any propane. Inside the coach there is a set of gauges for water and tank levels. Usually the propane level is shown there.Get a few pounds of gas if it is empty. See what it shows. On the tank there is a shut off knob. See that it is on. Check for gas at the stove burner again.

If still no gas try to follow the lines under cabinets, behind drawers and along frame rails to look for unexpected valves. Probably none but check. If there is no pressure then go to a pro.

If you have pressure but still bu furnace then you could have 2 separate problems. With units this new that is unlikely. Lets take the water heater first. Find the 12v fuse box or breakers. Pull them one at a time and test them with a tester. is anything else not running? Could be related. After establishing that power is available go to the heater and open the hatch. With the power off examine the intake port to see that it is not clogged, often with insect nests. Get your multi meter or 12v tester. Ground one side. Turn on the water heater power inside the RV. Check all of the wiring attachments with the probe to see if there is power. Have someone go inside and turn it off then on and listen for gas or a sparking noise. Pull each connector off and push it back on several times with a needle nose pliers to eliminate corrosion. If nothing is happening then do a search on diagnosing that model and follow the instructions. Sometimes the boards go bad.

The furnace is harder because of it's size and location. Once you have checked to be sure that power is there turn the thermostat to heat and set it well above the current temp. Does the circulation fan blow. If not then you have a power supply problem. If it does blow but does not ignite then you have a different problem which may require removal. If you want to tackle it look for threads to remove and clean out the furnace and test the parts. I have done it and found spider nests in the burners. They love them. If you have doubts go to a pro.

Once things are working again fire up both once a month. Also run the generator for 20 minutes and the AC's for a few minutes. Start the engine and warm it up. Lack of use causes most problems. I bet you find out that there is no gas or power.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #9

Well I finally figured out the heater. There is a on/off switch on the control board which was stiff (I was worried I’ll break it if I force it) I switch it to in and it came automatic. One down.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #10

You can add water to the hot water tank by hooking up a water hose to the city water inlet fitting. Turn on the hot water. That will fill your hot water tank. You will hear air being pushed out of the system. Your hot water tank is probably 6 gallons. So once the hot water tank fills up then you will get water out of the hot water faucet.

If your unit is still winterized the winterization valves may be turned the wrong way. This always gets me in the spring because I forget how they need to be re-set so everything works as designed.

So, if you turn on the city water, turn on the hot water facet and do not hear water going into the hot water heater then you need to examine the hot water by pass valve and probably turn it.

Like I said, I have to fiddle with the valves on my trailer until I have then set right. I have two valves I use to winterize my trailer. Hopefully you just have 1, the hot water tank bypass.

Furnace - make sure you have propane and the propane tank valve is open. I test the stove 1st. If I have gas at the strove then I try the furnace. Over the winter all propane that was in the line will dissapate so be patient as the line needs filled with new propane before the furnace, hot water heater, refrigerator or stove will work. It might take 30 to 60 seconds before propane is available.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #11

Thank you all for your response. I would have to try the water heater on a different day since it will require a little bit of time to empty/fill the water tank...getting ready for Easter Sunday but I’ll keep your suggestions and will try it later...
Old 05-19-2019, 08:30 PM   #12

You don't need to fully fill your water tank. A few gallons is more than sufficient. Once you have a few gallons in the tank, it should be add simple as making sure your water heater bypass valves are set to allow the wh to fill. Then ir is as simple as turning on the water pump, the wh will fill automatically. Once full, most water heaters today it is as simple as flipping a switch to turn it on. You should hear a few clicks then a roar of the flame.

Good luck with it