Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #1

Help a new brother?

We are new to the site and new to RVing! My wife and I are on the verge of buying a Crossroads Longhorn 27RL that is brand new with a heavy discount... or, buying a 2014 with light usage for @6K less. Is it worth $6-7K to buy used? There seem to be both costs I will not encounter - (sway bars..etc) and then costs I will incur - NO Training or warranty. Any help from my new friends?
PreachWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Buying new, you will get hit with a big depreciation, the minute it rolls off the lot. I suggest new RVers buy a gently used unit that is 2 to 5 years old. With used, hire you own RV inspector to check all of the systems and check for water leaks. Do not trust the dealer to check it of tell you it is OK.

With used, you do not get the big depreciation for when you sell or trade up.

Check the NADA Guides for used values. The market price on used units is generally NADA Low Retail with no options added. The dealers will try to get more.

Have fun looking,
Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ditto Ken's recommendations.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #4

Ken - thank you. The used one is out in the country (an hour away). Are there RV inspectors that will make a visit? Or, will I need to take in for inspection / look over? Would you do this over following an extensive list of items to check? I am NOT mechanically inclined.
PreachWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Agree with TXiceman, Not familiar with items you are looking at, but any purchase should be done carefully. If it has slides do they allow usage of living space while not extended? Total living area should be to your liking. If it's being towed does the weight work with your tow vehicle ? Maybe an extended warranty would be worth while ? An hour a way is a short time to know what you are buying. Just take your time and learn as you go. RVing is a great life style. Good luck on your new adventure!!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of mobile RV techs will do inspections, so make a few calls to the ones in your area.

I am mechanically inclined and do a lot of my own RV work. Since you are not mechanically natured, Id hire someone that is.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #7

If I could do it over again, I would probably buy used rather than buy a new unit before knowing what I really want.

We had looked around a lot before we bought and thought we had purchased exactly what we wanted. A year later we had a little better idea of what was right for us. Short version of the story, we ended up buying a 31 foot class A and love it. It is perfect for our needs. Down side is, we are going to take a pretty big hit on the sale of the TT. Nothing we can do about it now....other than to try and help newbies from making a similar decision.

Good luck on what ever you decide, just travel safe and have fun

Chance
Chance31ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:25 AM   #8

new/used

if you can find a used one you like then great, but sometimes you can't

and buy new. Your good with a new one if you keep it for awhile, i don't know

what that is. i bought new cause i could not find a used one.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #9

The downside with a used one and what we are facing is that the one I got has some water damage that I was unaware of and has now turned into delamination. I blame myself for not checking more thoroughly and for checking the roof after getting it, but I have to chalk it up to a lesson learned.
ssilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What are you towing with? Safety is as much or more important than purchase price IMO.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Buying any RV is a dicey game.

If you buy new, there's a real possibility it could be plagued with problems. Once you sign on that dotted line, it's not uncommon for the dealer to all of a sudden treat you very differently. There are some great dealers in the world, and there are some bad dealers.

I would choose your dealer carefully based on referrals.

Now, with a used unit, lots of times the bugs have already been worked out for you.... you hope... and pray, and cross some fingers too.

I would certainly recommend you take someone with you that knows RV's at least well enough and inspect which ever unit you plan to buy, including the new one. Don't think that because it's new, it will be trouble free.

Not being mechanical is not a problem, but not knowing how rv systems should work can be to your detriment in the buying process, as you might not know how to spot something that could be a REAL problem after purchase.

Crossroads is a good brand though....

this website might help you meet other owners CrossRoads RV Family Forum and take your time in the purchase process
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:38 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
$6K is not much. List what you lose by buying used.

I bought a new Winnebago motorhome , drove it for 37K miles (23 mos) sold it for 79% of purchase price.

Then bought a used Travel Trailer for 2008 Forest River $6K total......we like it, will probably buy a little newer trailer in the foreseeable future, with a little more room.

The repairs have been minimal, I installed a new water heater (gas leak) , I just packed the wheel bearings & adjusted the brakes, I put in a new battery, replaced the toilet water valve,repaired a leaky water tank, and.. have fiddled & adjusted the normal amount with all the accessories. Yes, I did all of the above myself.

The big issue , I think, is not the repairs, but the aggravation involved in getting competent repairs. Most new RVs have just a 12 month guarantee.....so, you really do not give up much when you buy used. I suggest buying new, in the model year closeout, or buying used when the camping season has ended....at a time when the seller wants to be rid of the rig. Lots of folks sell their rigs shortly after purchase, for lots of reasons.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
A lot of mobile RV techs will do inspections, so make a few calls to the ones in your area.

I am mechanically inclined and do a lot of my own RV work. Since you are not mechanically natured, Id hire someone that is.

Ken
Agreed! Biggest thing to check IMHO is the roof/seems. Check inside cabinets and feel for soft spots on the walls and ceiling where they meet (corners and where the ceiling meets the wall). Soft spots is a sign of water damage and is the biggest concern with any camper and a costly repair. A good inspection and thorough walk through will save you a big headache. The systems aren't as difficult to check. The seller should be willing to show you how things operate and show you that everything works. Unless you plan to keep your first campers for a long time, a quality used (original owner preferred) camper is a good way to go. Good luck with your future purchase.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #14

If you have it inspected and look for leaks. That would be my biggest concern. Look under the trailer, in the cabinets, floor of bathrooms/kitchen
and cabinets for any sign of repairs or water damage. That would be my
biggest concern buy used.

If it looks safe and clean I would save the 7K myself.