Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2006, 05:24 PM   #1

Help,
Does anyone have advice they can share dealing with the purchase of a used travel trailer in Texas? After 8 months and looking at about 50 travel trailers I bought a 2004 Fleetwood Wilderness 27' from a dealer on thursday last week. Saturday we took it out for the first time and during set-up the bottom support for the awning fell out. Upon closer inspection after removing the vapor barrier on the bottom of the trailer, large pieces of rotten wood fell out. The entire lower skirt support brace is rotten. While looking at the unit I inspected the roof, ceiling, walls, floor, and bottom of the trailer and found no evidence of any leaks also their was no odor from mold. I can't tell if the leak is from the tub just above it are from the roof. I'm not sure if legally I can get any help from the dealer either. It's Sunday night so I have not called them yet.
ANY INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2006, 05:24 PM   #2

Help,
Does anyone have advice they can share dealing with the purchase of a used travel trailer in Texas? After 8 months and looking at about 50 travel trailers I bought a 2004 Fleetwood Wilderness 27' from a dealer on thursday last week. Saturday we took it out for the first time and during set-up the bottom support for the awning fell out. Upon closer inspection after removing the vapor barrier on the bottom of the trailer, large pieces of rotten wood fell out. The entire lower skirt support brace is rotten. While looking at the unit I inspected the roof, ceiling, walls, floor, and bottom of the trailer and found no evidence of any leaks also their was no odor from mold. I can't tell if the leak is from the tub just above it are from the roof. I'm not sure if legally I can get any help from the dealer either. It's Sunday night so I have not called them yet.
ANY INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS

Old 01-01-2006, 07:59 PM   #3

Caveat Emptor I think that's the correct spelling. Sorry you found expensive problems after the sale. The only remedy to you now is the benevolence of the seller, hopefully your contract include a limited warranty? If not, your expertize with carpenter tools is your last option.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:15 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Chris, Ray is right, unless you have a warranty from the dealer or the state you bought it in has some consumer protection laws, you are on your own. In terms of finding the leak it is probably the tub - esp if it is one of the multi piece types that requires seam caulking.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:28 PM   #5

Chris D:
Sorry to hear about your purchase issue. One service that is becoming more popular is an RV Inspection service similar to a home inspection. This envolves paying someone a fee (sometimes hundreds of dollars) to look at the unit and look for what you're describing, in addition to other issues such as functional items.

Now, in defence of the dealership, they may not have known of the damage if it was hidden as you describe. Most dealerships do not examine the coaches all that closely when they come in on trade. Also, it is an 04 model, which means it is still pretty new, so the dealership wouldn't have a 'reason' to look into it.

I work for a large dealership and prep a large number of used coaches for sale. I not only go over the functionality of the unit, but look for water damage or anything else that could be wrong. After all, the previous owner traded it in for a reason.

Again, good luck.
DNR
Old 01-02-2006, 07:37 PM   #6

Chris,
I am a realist and think the traders new what they were trading in. I would like to think that the dealer was unaware of the problem as I think most dealers dont do proper inspections on used RV's. On that note I would take the RV to the dealer and show them the problem as it has only been a week or so that you bought it. AS IS is AS IS but a dealer with some concience would at least point you in the right directions or even help you out. You will KNOW if they knew by the way they act if you are any reader of body language. Dont stop with the johnny salesman. Demand to see whoever you have to see to get the right answer. Tough but its not a cheap fix. I know how you feel as I am weary of all saleman. I purchased a 2000 crossroads awhile back and have had minimal problems. Luckily hidden in the drawer was the previous owners name who has been more than helpful with any operator problems I have had. Thank someone for internet people search.
Good Luck

Bob Shafer
Retired Army Ranger
2000 Crossroads All American
97 Dodge 3500 Dually Diesel
Lady with ArmPit Piranha will travel
Old 01-02-2006, 11:15 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As the others have said, if you bought it "As Is" then you got it As Is. I would hope that the manufacture may help out if they have a 2 year warranty on their products, of course that is usually only to the original owner, but they may help.
Good luck and Happy New Year.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:46 AM   #8

Was the dealer TEXAS RV CENTER IN CLEBURN?