Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #1

Question HELP furnace no good

Hi Ive got a 22/24' (depends on how you mesure) ken-craft trailer
with a n24 suburban furnace, cp world said to much is wrong and
would be about same cost to replace. I think it can be rebuilt cheaper
but thats another subject for later. What Iam wondering is what other
furnaces or what newer model I can use. The Lady said a nt40 but....
thanks for any help i appriciate all words of wisdom mike
mikeye74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #2

I use an Olmpian Wav cat 3 / 6 heater.
slackercrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercrust View Post
I use an Olmpian Wav cat 3 / 6 heater.
What does that have to do with a furnace question?

Assuming an N-24 is just an older model of the NT-24, why not replace it with the current model? The NT-24, 30, 34, and 40 are all the same dimensions. The salesperson is trying to sell you the most expensive of the bunch. And going from a 24,000 to a 40,000 BTU furnace in a trailer that size is extreme overkill. You won't need an oven to bake biscuits.

Most of the cost of repairing your old furnace is probably labor. If you're handy, or have a friend who is, you could probably fix it yourself. They're pretty simple. If the burner isn't burned out, a good cleaning of everything and a new thermocouple might get you back in business. The last thermocouple I bought was less than $9.
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeye74 View Post
Hi Ive got a 22/24' (depends on how you mesure) ken-craft trailer
with a n24 suburban furnace, cp world said to much is wrong and
would be about same cost to replace. I think it can be rebuilt cheaper
but thats another subject for later. What Iam wondering is what other
furnaces or what newer model I can use. The Lady said a nt40 but....
thanks for any help i appriciate all words of wisdom mike
My parents had a 1958 KenCraft TT, it was called an 18''2" but to get that measurement you had to measure it from the very front of the tongue to the end of the taillights.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #5

awsome thanks for the replys, thats kinda what i figured about the sales person and the furnace size but thought i ck general consensus. oh yea it is a nt-24 my bad. any good resources if i try a rebuild??? thanks again
Old 08-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
any good resources if i try a rebuild??? thanks again
Any of your local RV dealers who have a repair facility probably sells parts. That would be my first choice. And there are a lot of sources on line.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is wrong with the furnace.

If the heat exchqnger has gotten religion (Become HOLeY) then it's time to replace. No argument there at all.

Most other issues repairable if you knwo where to get what you need.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #8

worked fine the first time we used it, two nights, then the pilot light went out,
tried to restart it several times and it would light but not stay lite long enough for
the furnace to kick in. I'd light it hold the button in as instructed for lighting
it would light Id put the cover on and wosh it would go out. Checked vents,
inlet and outlet electics etc. Finally just pulled it and took it to shop. Dont really like there answer though lol
Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #9

Take it to a mom and pop shop, not camping world...
Yellowreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Symptoms are typical of inadequate gas flow to the pilot. Clean the pilot orifice and while you have it apart replace the thermocouple. The orifice is tiny and easily blocked or restricted. I generally use a single strand of copper wire. If you get the orifice completely cleared, it will work as well as it ever did without needing adjustment.

My OPINION: Do not let Camping World repair it. They will very likely rip you off. What you've posted so far makes it appear they are trying to do just that.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:14 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post
My OPINION: Do not let Camping World repair it. They will very likely rip you off. What you've posted so far makes it appear they are trying to do just that.
Camping World and rip off????????????

No way unless their lips were moving!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #12

well its not the mother board as they first said due to the fact that it does not
have one...go figure, when we picked the unit up they then said it was the regulator ???? isnt the regulator up with the propane tanks??? Thanks for the info am going to go through the whole unit seems worth while to replace as much as possible with new parts...
Old 09-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
well its not the mother board as they first said due to the fact that it does not
have one...go figure, when we picked the unit up they then said it was the regulator ???? isnt the regulator up with the propane tanks??? Thanks for the info am going to go through the whole unit seems worth while to replace as much as possible with new parts...
A bad regulator can cause the symptoms you describe, and yes, it is the one at the tanks that they're talking about.
That's a pretty cheap fix, too.
Sounds to me like a good thing to eliminate as a possibility before you pitch the furnace out. You can get it tested at many propane/RV places.
Some furnaces are very sensitve to pressure differences, from what I'm told.
Have you encountered any problems with any other gas fixtures?
The fridge might act up due to a bad reg, too...

Just my two cents!

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #14

Wow ok I thought they were just grasping at straws but did check regulator at least by the way the stove works flame is constant blue with ocassional yellow tip. But will get it checked just in case, thanks

Tags
furnace