Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #1

Help!!!! Going to buy a TT and dumb as a rock!

I need help...I am hoping to purchase a 2005 Coachman Spirit of America, 25 ft. TT or a 2012 Skyline Weekender. It will mainly be used in an RV park for me to have a place to stay while I am working on weekends away from home. I found it on Craigslist in Pensacola where I work. It sounds sweet but since I have very limited knowledge of TTs, I need advise and input. Please look at the listing and give me opinions. At some point, it may be used for road trips but for now, it will be parked..

LOW MILE 2005 Coachmen Spirit of America 25' Travel Trailer VERY NICE

Also found this:

2012 Skyline Weekender 186
Angelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm of no help but
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #3

Thanks, John!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #4

I have a 2007 26' Coachmen Spirit of America. I've had it for about 3 yrs now and I love it. I pull it with a Suburban and have no problems.
Albertm97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #5

If someone would please click on the highlighted TTs in the post, I would appreciate it. It explains what each trailer has.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #6

Look at the earlier post today about another "newbie" buying a TT and learn about weights and towing vehicles. What are you using for a tow vehicle? Can if handle the total weight and the tongue weight? The biggest problem I have found in used TTs is water damage. Either from roof leaks or internal leaks. Read up here on how to look EVERYWHERE in the TT for evidence of leaks. Looks for any "soft spots" in the floor. Walk every square inch of it to feel for soft areas. Look in all the cabinets everywhere for leak evidence. With both being fairly new the chances of leaks lessen than one 25 yrs old but still you need to look every where. Also make sure every item in the TT works as it should. Try each one out yourself. The refrigerator must work perfectly (it's very expensive to replace) and it takes 2 days to get it cold. It must get to the low 30s . Have it started and running before you go to see it. Test every system including the water system. toilet and water heater. Test the furnace and the A/C. Check every light both inside and out. Don't take someones word for it that it works. Good luck. Both look good but I vote for the first one. :-)
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #7

Forgot to add- If the tires are original equipment- buy new ones no matter how good they look. They're too old!
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:51 AM   #8

It looks as though the Coachmen unit has been very well taken care of, and I'm not impressed by the pics of the Skyline (poorly made bed!). Otherwise, I would tend to suggest the newer unit. As already suggested, examine everything very carefully. You may want to consider having a RV shop do an inspection for you, even if it costs a $100 or so. If the roof is in good shape, that will be a good indication but you still want to check carefully for signs of any leaks. You may want to research the quality of both units and comments from owners.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #9

Pictures may not be the best way to judge the trailers but it appears that the Coachmen has been better cared for than the Skyline. The Skyline also looks a little cramped compared to the other one.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree that based on the pics, the older Coachman looks to have been better cared for than the newer Skyline. Also, if you are not going to use the bunk beds, they take up valuable space.

BTW, is that "work desk" added?
arveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #11

Thanks, everyone!

I appreciate the input. I am going to look at the Coachman today. Actually, I found out my brother-in-law has lived in and owned a TT before with his job(a long time ago). Hopefully, between him and me we will do a good job. Wish me luck!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do yourself a favor and hire a TT service and repair company, to do an inspection for you. It could cost a couple hundred, but could save thousands. My son recently bought a 12 year old TT and too late found a lot of rotten wood walls, floor and roof, to the tune of $5000 for repairs. The roof alone, was $3000. If you don't want to do that, do a lot of research on buying a used TT. For instance, "Youtube" has a video, about how not to buy a TT. Also one on "What to look for when buying a used TT". Good luck!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #13

Your asking questions before you buy.
Now ignoring the answers ... that would be dumb.
My , word of caution , would be ; as far as online sales are concerned, in particular; . If it sounds too good to be true , it probably is. Pay for an inspection, if the seller won't let a professional inspect the unit , walk away.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
would consider the coachman over the weekender. I like the tandem wheels VS the single set up. you will be a lot happier in the larger unit for living in. BUT! like the rest have said or asked, what are you towing it with? The 25 footer will be pushing the limits on a half ton truck after you load it up for camping or living in.