Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #1

HELP!! Lost power to all outlets inside

I have lost all electric to any outlet inside the trailer. No breaker is tripped, no fuse is blown, no GFI is tripped. The power coming into the trailer is good..I have the light on the electric heater on (so i assume it is working). I am at a loss.

This is a 2013 Crossroads Zinger 30RK.

The lights are running off BATT, the fridge is now running off gas...

Any ideas would be GRATEFUL!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 06:40 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
See if you can trace the problem by using this link.
If you had a Gen your power may have been through a transfer switch that would cause a problem.
If you have a inverter maybe a GFI on inverter.
Other Tech Tip's

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #3

I don't have a generator, it is connected directly to the house for power (i checked those breakers and all were good). I don't think i have an inverter. Ive only had the trailer for about 3 months..didn't get the extended warranty...
Old 11-10-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Than try looking through these distributions of trailer wiring.
One must be close to your trailer wiring setup.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:10 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check your GFCI outlets.
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #6

GCFI..As far as I know..I have 2. One in Kitchen by the sink and one in the bathroom....is there another hidden somewhere out of sight?
Old 11-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You may have to trace your shore power wire to where ever it terminates and check for loose screw or loose wire nut connection and follow the wires to outlets for their wire connections.
Things will loosen up from road vibrations and will need to be checked.
Multiple's of RV outlets wires can come loose behind the outlet, not screw connections like house outlets.
Do you have a DOGBONE cable connection on power cable they do become defective at times after use.
Check that I see you have Heater working!!!
If that outlet is the first working in string of outlets maybe a place to start for wire connection to other outlets wire maybe burnt off from heat or amperage of your heater.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:38 AM   #8

Are you in a campground? I had power at the post in one campground trip though the breaker did not appear to be. After checking all breakers and fuses in MH, finally flipped breaker at post off and then back on. Problem solved.

By light on heater, is heater run from outlet outside of RV? If so, where is it plugged into?
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #9

If you do not have an open breaker or fuse you have a loose connection someplace in the circuit. The safest way to look for it is with an ohmmeter or powered continuity tester. Not a test light. Unplug the unit so you do not have live AC in the trailer. In fact you may want to bring the end of the power cord into the trailer through the door.

Find the panel where the electric comes into the trailer and take off whatever covers are needed to get to the breaker check the continuity or resistance between the end of the power cord and where it connects inside. You should have continuity between one prong and the distribution buss all the breakers connect to. The other two prongs should connect to the common buss. Stay clipped to the lead that goes to distribution buss and check continuity there and then to the other side of each breaker. You should have continuity or you have found your problem. Also wiggle the wires or tighten any clamp screws. Sometimes they loosen up or somebody in a hurry missed tightening them. At that point I would be inclined to put things more or less back together and plug the unit in to see if I solved the problem. If so fine.

If you did not fix your problem you probably have a bad connection at one of the sockets. The only way to troubleshoot that is to bring your power cord back in and connect to the hot pin of the plug and check continuity to the socket closest to the distribution panel. You should have continuity from the hot pin of the power cord to the smaller flat pin of the socket. The other two pins should be continuous to the wider socket pin and safety ground. If you do not have continuity pull the outlet out and check the wires. There will probably be an incoming set and an outgoing set. Check for tightness and continuity. You will find a point where you do not have it. Your problem is either the connection at the last socket, the connection at the new socket or the wire in between. Most likely something is loose or fell off. Less likely is somebody did something that resulted in a wire breaking. It's a PITA but that is how one checks those problems. Good luck. Keep track of the power cord end as that keeps somebody from plugging it in and you getting a bad surprise! ;-)
Old 11-10-2014, 07:43 AM   #10

By light on heater...The electric water heater light on the inside panel of the trailer (where you check water levels battery etc). It is lit, so I assume it is working?? I am in the driveway, connected to shore power via a dogbone, because original cable was too short to get to the house. All the interior breaker of the house are good and are not tripped.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:49 AM   #11

Do you have a multi meter or some kind of test light? Start at the breaker box and verify that you have power coming into the box then work your way from there either back to supply source or to the next outlet until you narrow it down. There are some simple power testers if your squimish about testing circuits you can purchase a non contact tester for about fifteen dollars at most hardware stores. Whatever you do be careful if your working with live voltage, or get professional help.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
If you do not have an open breaker or fuse you have a loose connection someplace in the circuit. The safest way to look for it is with an ohmmeter or powered continuity tester. Not a test light. Unplug the unit so you do not have live AC in the trailer. In fact you may want to bring the end of the power cord into the trailer through the door.

Find the panel where the electric comes into the trailer and take off whatever covers are needed to get to the breaker check the continuity or resistance between the end of the power cord and where it connects inside. You should have continuity between one prong and the distribution buss all the breakers connect to. The other two prongs should connect to the common buss. Stay clipped to the lead that goes to distribution buss and check continuity there and then to the other side of each breaker. You should have continuity or you have found your problem. Also wiggle the wires or tighten any clamp screws. Sometimes they loosen up or somebody in a hurry missed tightening them. At that point I would be inclined to put things more or less back together and plug the unit in to see if I solved the problem. If so fine.

If you did not fix your problem you probably have a bad connection at one of the sockets. The only way to troubleshoot that is to bring your power cord back in and connect to the hot pin of the plug and check continuity to the socket closest to the distribution panel. You should have continuity from the hot pin of the power cord to the smaller flat pin of the socket. The other two pins should be continuous to the wider socket pin and safety ground. If you do not have continuity pull the outlet out and check the wires. There will probably be an incoming set and an outgoing set. Check for tightness and continuity. You will find a point where you do not have it. Your problem is either the connection at the last socket, the connection at the new socket or the wire in between. Most likely something is loose or fell off. Less likely is somebody did something that resulted in a wire breaking. It's a PITA but that is how one checks those problems. Good luck. Keep track of the power cord end as that keeps somebody from plugging it in and you getting a bad surprise! ;-)
So you are at this point in your life to learn more about your RV FOLLOW AS SUGGESTED.
Be safe in doing so.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorez View Post
I have lost all electric to any outlet inside the trailer.
I have the light on the electric heater on
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorez View Post
I don't think i have an inverter.
jorez
If you do have an inverter there may be 1 or more circuit breakers in it..
(mine has 2).

BTW if, (as you say), you "have the light on the electric heater ON" the outlet that the electric heater is plugged into has NOT lost power.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 11-11-2014, 06:51 AM   #14

Well, for some reason the main power cable coming from shore where it connects into the trailer at the junction box fried some wires. So i will now be trying to fix the junction box connection before seeing if anything else is messed up. Guess i had too many things plugged in..Dang it!

Tags
power