Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #1

Help making a choice on our 1st travel trailer

Hi my wife and I are in the market for a travel trailer and we narrowed it down between the Keystone Bullet Premium 30RIPR and a North Trail Caliber 28RKDS and i was just wondering if you guys have any input on pros and cons of either IE build quality and what not.
ngirondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 01:09 PM   #2

Those trailers are ok. Kinda run of the mill trailers out of Indiana.

The two trailers in my mind that a above average are Grand Design Reflection and Winnebago Mini and Mini Plus.

The two trailers you are focused on will be ok as your 1st trailer.

Advice would be to get a group 29/31 battery vs the dealer installed little group 24 battery. Tell the dealer you will pay the $30 difference for the much better, higher capacity battery.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #3

My dad owns a 2012 Keystone Bullet...and my mother owns a 2018 North Trail Caliber (neither of their models compare to the ones your looking at), based solely on comparing build qualities...the North Trail wins hands down between the two.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:28 PM   #4

Awesome guys thanks for your input
ngirondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Those trailers are ok. Kinda run of the mill trailers out of Indiana.

The two trailers in my mind that a above average are Grand Design Reflection and Winnebago Mini and Mini Plus.
I second that suggestion. Also, if you want a better insulated trailer for cold weather camping, consider Arctic Fox or Northwood.
Prior to purchasing our Bay Star last spring, we owned a 2014 Minnie 2201 DS and it was well built and served us well. Grand Design is now owned by Winnebago.

You may want to consider purchasing a really good used trailer for your first trailer as it takes some experience to know what you really want in terms of size and features. If you purchase a slightly used trailer, you'll take a much smaller hit if you decide to trade it in on a different trailer. One thing I really liked on the Minnie was the outdoor kitchen. But, with us taking long trips, we found that we wanted more room (previously, we had owned a 28' foot trailer with dinette and couch. We downsized when we moved into our 55+ community and couldn't have a 3/4 or 1 ton pick-up as the garage is too small. With the Minnie, we ended up removing the dinette and replacing it with a nice Flexsteel couch. And, we learned that we really didn't care for the slide out which was a step up slide out. I think Winnebago has changed the slide out design in some of their Minnie line.

Good luck in your search!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:08 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You're West of the Rockies. Look at the Northwoods Mfg brands: Nash, Outdoors RV, Arctic Fox, before you decide.

Northwood | Northwood Manufacturing
ORV | Outdoors RV Manufacturing
Old 02-15-2019, 10:09 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You're West of the Rockies. Look at the Northwoods Mfg brands: Nash, Outdoors RV, Arctic Fox, before you decide.

Northwood | Northwood Manufacturing
ORV | Outdoors RV Manufacturing
Old 02-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #8

East of the rockies

Which manufacturer east of the rockies makes a good trailer.

thanks for your input.
Brazal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazal View Post
Which manufacturer east of the rockies makes a good trailer.

thanks for your input.
Spacecraft? New Horizons? On the cheaper end (than previously mentioned) Grand Design, Van Leigh
Old 02-17-2019, 05:09 PM   #10
JG

Hire a Inspector

Hire a RV Inspector to go over your new toy before you purchase it. Buying one now days is a gamble. You do not want a piece of junk. Look up complaints stories on RV's. Wish you the best.
JG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer