Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2015, 10:26 AM   #43

Probably because no storage for the nose bleed cost. On average 1,400 rivits which any one of them can leak since aluminum is a soft metal that flexes. Oh...and no slides mean way less interior space.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Probably because no storage for the nose bleed cost. On average 1,400 rivits which any one of them can leak since aluminum is a soft metal that flexes. Oh...and no slides mean way less interior space.
Hey, I resemble that remark

Yeah, you're right. Airstreams aren't built for large people, big boned folks or those that like to carry every item they've ever owned, that's for sure.

No leaks on mine, very pleased not to have slides, totally zen like inside.. but if it were more than just the two of us.... there is a 30 bunk model that's really neat, but again, made for skinny people and pricey + heavy.

I would be curious as to the OP's intent of use. Is this casual camping? Cross country-ing-? Bunks for kids? Tall order in a bumper pull at that weight?

Jayflight Slx 264bhw or 267bhsw or 287bhsw ?? Could be a contender here. I would certainly look over jayco's offerings. Maybe check Lance and Northwood too?

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #45

Airsteam trailers are very cool however. Several years ago when I got into RVing I looked long and hard at 27' Classic. Pulling that with a modern 3/4 ton silver truck with a cap on it for storage would be the 'bees knees' for sure. That hickory interior was beautiful. But the more I researched, visit to the factory, watched the 'Long long Honeymoon' on YouTube where they had that bad leak. I just could not pull the trigger.

Ended up with SOB.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Airsteam trailers are very cool however. Several years ago when I got into RVing I looked long and hard at 27' Classic. Pulling that with a modern 3/4 ton silver truck with a cap on it for storage would be the 'bees knees' for sure. That hickory interior was beautiful. But the more I researched, visit to the factory, watched the 'Long long Honeymoon' on YouTube where they had that bad leak. I just could not pull the trigger.

Ended up with SOB.
True, however, to clarify, that leak occurred long into their ownership, and after dragging the trailer 14,000 miles and they had just finished the Alaska - Canada Highway - which from what I understand is really tough on rigs. I think almost any brand would be subject to the possibility that the beating and possible leaks when used as extensively as they use theirs, which is exactly what they should be doing... using it? But suffice to say their usage is probably over the top from the average owner.

Their Ford 350 broke down that trip too.

His words:

"
Over the course of the trip, did we suffer some damage to our Airstream? Yes. There was one particularly terrible stretch of road, located near the appropriately named “Destruction Bay” in Yukon Territory. That stretch of the Alcan was undergoing renovation. At the time we arrived, the road was composed mostly of oil, dust, gravel, and small boulders. It was sort of like that scene in The Empire Strike Back when Han Solo flies the Millennium Falcon through an asteroid field. Here we took on some fresh rocks dings in our Airstream’s fascia. At some point we hit a rock that punctured our freshwater tank, causing all of our fresh water to drain out. This converted our Airstream into a de facto aluminum tent. (We were able to temporarily sidestep the water woes by stopping in full hookup campgrounds, and we later patched up the water tank in Fairbanks.)

The Alaska adventure was more like “death by a thousand paper cuts” than a quick slash to the throat. Or perhaps the correct analogy is Chinese water torture. Drip, drip, drip. We suffered water leaks from multiple places, emanating from both the interior and exterior of our trailer. Massive external water leaks do not go well with the September onset of Alaska’s rainy season. And yes, we had leaks coming from inside our Airstream – the plumbing appeared to be leaking from directly beneath the cabinetry (the worst possible location, since it was inaccessible without removing the cabinetry). We also had leaks in the rear, ceiling and front of the Airstream. These were caused by a variety of factors, including worn out weather sealing, a poorly installed skylight, and the impact of a zillion violent wiggles along the highway.
"
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 05-28-2015, 07:05 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Why is Airstream not in this conversation? Have a peek OP.
OP said outdoor kitchen.
I have not looked recently, but I don't think Airstream has one.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:06 AM   #48

I've looked at 20 year old airstreams. No leaks, still expensive!
Old 05-28-2015, 07:11 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Probably because of the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No offense but I think Airstream is priced RIDICULOUSLY! I was never a fan of them even if they were in the same price range as ones we've been looking at, they just seem so tight inside, and heavy.

If I were looking to spend that much it would be on a Class A (which is what we plan on moving up to in about 10 years, Lord willing).

Thanks
Old 05-28-2015, 07:32 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
No offense taken - i think it's important to note that I wasn't looking for an airstream, I was looking for a small motorhome - so my budget was in the 100k range - so to me, the airstream saved me a TON of money (10's of thousands), especially considering I already owned the truck outright - it's all about perspective.

I had a class A, and downsized after the Class A sucked up 25k in "that just broke..." money in the first year. If you think an airstream is expensive, just wait until your class A starts sucking cash out of your pocket. If I were to ever own a MOHO again, it would be on a Columbia chassis, period.

Back to the OP, I'm having a hard time finding any model that meets all of his requirements thus far. If he could go a higher weight, that would change things.

I think he might need to make his outdoor kitchen a camp stove on a fold out table

Something like this would work https://www.hwhrv.com/details.php?id=KLT1505 but it's over his max weight by a little. But I would look at other models of the same brand.

Best thing for OP to do is hit the manufacturers websites and peruse floorplans....
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 05-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #51

Thanks for all the input. I have decided on this. I felt that it has met all my personal needs and the price was great for what we wanted!

ST270BH - CrossRoads RV
Old 05-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
PERFECT! Good for you, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 05-28-2015, 09:10 AM   #53

1236 is gonna be tough to work with for your wants list. The 2X4 Lone Star edition has 1490.

i'm towing a Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS with that. I'm close on CC. It meets almost all of your "wants", but I don't think I could swing the liberty edition that has leather and fire place and some other upgrades. I've made adjustments and mods that let me load bikes, ice chests, luggage into the trailer near the axles to reduce the impact on my truck's CC. We also don't have children in the truck eating up CC (and all the snacks).

People: 410
Dog: 35
Blue ox WDH: 96

Total payload used before camper hitched: 541

1490-541 = 949 payload available

At 12% desired tongue weight, max trailer weight under current setup is 7908. The GVWR for the TT is 7600 so I would overload the TT before I overloaded our RAM with this setup.

Prior to making adjustments to move the bikes and ice chest and luggage inside the TT I was looking at getting real close to the 1490 magic number that is the first limiting number to hit for the RAMS it seems.

Losing the 200 pounds of CC to the Big Horn and 4X4 options, I think I'd be over the CC or very very close.

If your wife is willing to let go of leather/luxury and a couch, you could look at the Apex 235BHS.

Coachmen RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes

Hitchweight is closer to 600 pounds. UVW 4277 GVWR 7542. You wouldn't be able to load it to GVWR max. This is what we went to look at when we ended up with the bigger 292BHDS.

Bottom line, you need to figure out how much CC you have left in the truck after you load your family inside.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmerz View Post
Thanks for all the input. I have decided on this. I felt that it has met all my personal needs and the price was great for what we wanted!

ST270BH - CrossRoads RV
Sorry i replied above before I saw this.

Just note that at 6000 lbs your desired 12% tongue weight is 720.
at 7000 lbs your desired 12% tongue weight would be 840.

From your Ram's CC 1236-720 = 516.
Add in a 100 lb WDH and you're down to 416 left for people and stuff.

Not sure how many people are in the truck, but maybe 416 is enough. If not, time to go on a diet!

Andersen makes the lightest weight WDH that I know of at @60 lbs. I'm not convinced that it is the best option for a 30 foot trailer. It may be YOUR best option though.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:26 AM   #55

I hear ya. Most of our camping will be locally weekend getaways. I don't plan on many long distance trips. I would like to try Myrtle beach next summer... I will be using an Equal-i-zer hitch.