Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #1

KZ RV Club
Help needed with sway bar question

I am in need of some advice. I am a newbie at this, so please excuse me if I dont use proper terms.

We bought our first camper and a tow vehicle this past week. The camper was used. The owner gave us all of the sway bar parts but not the ball/hitch (sorry, not sure the proper term for this item). What do you call the square shaped bar that the ball sits on? You know, the one you slide into your vehicle and lock into place with the pin? I will just call it the ball/hitch for now. I hope you all know what I am talking about.

Anyway, the seller's ball/hitch had this little triangle shaped flat piece that a 2 5/16th ball sat in the middle of with one with a smaller ball on either side of it.

He did not give is this part. I found that I need this part to make the sway bars work. I went to Farm and Fleet to buy this part and they said they did not sell that part alone. They called the local RV dealer for us and the RV dealer also said this was not sold separate.

I called the previous camper owner and he says he will sell it to us for $150. Is this worth it? Do you think if I called a different RV dealer, I might be able to get this piece? Or if I should just look at getting a whole new sway bar set up? Is getting a new sway bar set up expensive or difficult to do for newbies?

The previous owner is acting like a bit of an unpleasant schmuck, knowing he has us over a barrel for this piece. I would rather not deal with him again if I can help it. But if you all think I should, I will paste a smile on my face and hand him the $150.

Thank you so much for your advice! I very much appreciate it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsinger44 View Post
I am in need of some advice. I am a newbie at this, so please excuse me if I dont use proper terms.

We bought our first camper and a tow vehicle this past week. The camper was used. The owner gave us all of the sway bar parts but not the ball/hitch (sorry, not sure the proper term for this item). What do you call the square shaped bar that the ball sits on? You know, the one you slide into your vehicle and lock into place with the pin? I will just call it the ball/hitch for now. I hope you all know what I am talking about.

Anyway, the seller's ball/hitch had this little triangle shaped flat piece that a 2 5/16th ball sat in the middle of with one with a smaller ball on either side of it.

He did not give is this part. I found that I need this part to make the sway bars work. I went to Farm and Fleet to buy this part and they said they did not sell that part alone. They called the local RV dealer for us and the RV dealer also said this was not sold separate.

I called the previous camper owner and he says he will sell it to us for $150. Is this worth it? Do you think if I called a different RV dealer, I might be able to get this piece? Or if I should just look at getting a whole new sway bar set up? Is getting a new sway bar set up expensive or difficult to do for newbies?

The previous owner is acting like a bit of an unpleasant schmuck, knowing he has us over a barrel for this piece. I would rather not deal with him again if I can help it. But if you all think I should, I will paste a smile on my face and hand him the $150.

Thank you so much for your advice! I very much appreciate it.
Sounds like a real nice guy! Not.

Check these items. Not saying this will solve your problem, but this is the general direction you might want to go:

Robot Check

Robot Check

What about weight distribution? Come to think of it, you may want to cough up the $150, depending on the weight of your new trailer, and the towing capacity of your TV.

Roger

Old 04-02-2016, 10:29 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Will the previous owner take a check?

I think you should pay the money and get on with it. If you can stomach it, ask him to show you how it all works. Check the manufacturer website for an owners manual.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are a TON of video's on youtube on how to install and set up various WD hitches..
Old 04-03-2016, 01:19 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
WD hitch

Sounds like you need a weight distribution hitch - (you are calling it sway bar). You can get a new one from Harbor Freight for $210 (maybe 20% off with coupon?) or look at Craigslist - I've seen used ones on there a number of times.
Good luck!

KG
Old 04-03-2016, 05:07 AM   #6

Know way would i pay that, for $300 you, can buy a complete new hitch, with built in sway control. We replaced our first hitch (Harbor Freight Model with Friction Sway ) with the Husky Centerline TS from Amazon, a much,much,much better hitch, and the sway control is great.

[moderator edit]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2006.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	566.6 KB
ID:	123004  
Old 04-03-2016, 05:13 AM   #7

Opps !!! Just checked $399.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:15 AM   #8

Since you could use some expert advice, I think an RV or hitch dealer should be the place to buy.

They will install, adjust and instruct you in its use.

This way, when the neighbor camper comes over to tell you how HE does it, you will know he is wrong.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #9

Dont pay it...that's half way to a new set up. Plus how much you'll learn in setting up a whole new one will be invaluable...
Old 04-05-2016, 08:14 AM   #10

Whether or not the $150 is a good price or not depends on the brand. If the bars you already have in your possession say Equalizer on them, then I would pay the $150 and move on. If not, then I would just get a new set up and offer to sell him the parts he did give you for $200. :-)

Mike
Old 04-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #11

When you can afford it get a Hensley arrow. Best hitch I ever had. Solid complete away avoidance not control as there is never any sway!
Old 04-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like this is what you need.

Replacement Head and Shank for Reese Weight Distribution Systems - Trunnion Bar Reese Accessories and Parts RP54980

Weight Distribution Trunnion Bar Accessories and Parts | etrailer.com

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Ball...eter_Ball.aspx

https://www.etrailer.com/Balls/Reese/RP58060.html
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #13

KZ RV Club
We went ahead an paid the guy $150 for the hitch.

While I know it was a rip off, its nice to have the whole thing done with. Thanks for your help!!!!
Old 04-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #14

rideandslide, I don't mean to hijack this post, but I'm buying the centerline TS as soon as my 23RLSW arrives. Your impression of the hitch, setting up,towing, etc.

Which TT do you have and what weight rating of the Centerline TS?

I believe I'm getting the #32217, 600-800 lb tongue weight.

Wireman