Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #141

Yeah you made a mistake like I did when I bought my 8'6" hog. It was like threading a needle in places and kept me in the campgrounds.

That's why Ive been looking for a 7' wide narrow track enclosed trailer to convert to toyhauler. The Nobo is 7'6" but longer than I need.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #142

Do your mirrors flip up ? Ours do on our 2014 2500 crew cab heavy duty long bed, with a diesel engine.
If not then those mirrors would do. If you are really worried about it all, get a camera.
RVing family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVing family View Post
Do your mirrors flip up ? Ours do on our 2014 2500 crew cab heavy duty long bed, with a diesel engine.
If not then those mirrors would do. If you are really worried about it all, get a camera.

Yes they do.

I'm not talking about backing up. I'm talking about the construction zones and narrow back roads. And one gravel road I shouldn't have taken that turned to sand lol.

Sure, I did it but I didn't feel that comfortable when it was tight.

Me going narrower has more to do with boondocking, but knowing the trailer is only a little wider than the truck would take a load of my mind and make the experience more enjoyable.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #144

Solo Rvers Club
In NJ, I don't believe a TRAILER can be taken on the Garden State Parkway. On the NJ TURNPIKE however, you're fine (of course, you'll pay a higher toll when towing a trailer).

In NY, STAY OFF PARKWAYS!!! Parkways in NY have overpasses with LESS THAN 8' CLEARANCE. If you don't have a GPS unit that allows you to enter the SPECIFICS of the vehicle / trailer you have, you should get one (and then enter the details into the GPS). Even then, PAY ATTENTION when you're towing. You do NOT want to take an RV that doesn't have the clearance you need someplace where it won't fit.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
"You meet the nicest people on a Honda"!
" But you pass them on a Bridgestone"!

How old do you think I am? I was racing Bultaco bikes back then.
Lynn

Do you know Fritz Kadlec?
LarryFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar2856 View Post
Not recommending these in particular, but something like this would be good.

Attachment 253071

https://www.amazon.com/CIPA-10200-Ch...s%2C331&sr=8-9

They slip over your factory mirrors.

I have a set on our Ram pickup (towing a 25' TT). They work fine, and were reasonably priced and easy to take on and off.
mrmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:43 PM   #147

My new trailer is a narrow 7' wide which is how many of the newer lightweight trailers are designed. They are the exception, while your trailer is closer to the normal width. You should have no problems with it. That said, when it comes to some campgrounds, roads with tight switchbacks steep access roads, etc, every trailer has limits. Some are too long, too low, too high, too heavy, and yes probably too wide. My guess is that a wider trailer would have the fewest problems of the above excesses. The only time it would concern me is when driving through construction zones as some can be quite narrow.
Glen 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:00 PM   #148

Yes in some old areas of New England and other Eastern States Super Wide Trailers and Motor Homes are not allowed on local roads so you would have to check to see if where you are planning to regularly travel includes any of those areas.

Some small towns will require a 102" vehicle to go around them using the wide vehicle truck route and stop at a depot on the truck route to transfer their load for local delivery while others may allow you to enter if you only drive straight to your destination and back out such as the route from the highway exit directly to the campground. Many times you may not be bothered by law enforcement about this unless you are involved in an accident or a moving violation as over width may not be considered a primary offense that they are allowed to pull you over for however if you are pulled over for another primary offense then they can take you to task for also being over width.

There is technically an exception that allows for being over width to accommodate safety equipment such as side view mirrors.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:58 PM   #149

There is a similar rule about eating at Taco Bell and going through a tunnel. Not allowed until all the gas has escaped. You have to wonder where all these rules are that people have to tell you about. If it’s on the Internet it must be true!
mce99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelnoob View Post
So just for some clarification It is a Intech Sol and I would be pulling it with a 2017 chevy Colorado. Do i need some special mirror adapters or something because of the width.
You have a Sol! Very cool, I looked at it and would have bought one too except for the price. I bought a Winnebago 1706 instead because it was $10, 000 less. If not for the price I would have bought the Sol and never given the width a second thought (except perhaps on my narrow driveway for summer storage when not travelling with it). You have one fine trailer there. I hope you bought the windshield cover because if that huge window breaks it will be expensive to replace. I envy you even though I have a very nice trailer too.
Glen 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:38 AM   #151

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow, what a thread!

Cliff Note version
Black tank likes water, lots of water
Practice on a parking lot
If unsure of water use bottle water till your sure
Best advice on any system your not sure about, ask a fellow RVer

I just had to be a part of this thread!
Old 07-19-2019, 05:51 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryFlew View Post
Do you know Fritz Kadlec?
No I don't know him. My brother was a dealer for Bultaco, Jawa and Hodaka and I ran the local races. I started out with a Campera, went to a Sherpa and finally a Persang. 1966 / 1967.
Back in those days we ran "Scrambles" which eventually became "Motocross".
I lost interest in the bikes and took up snowmobile racing. I still race snow drags in the wintertime.
Lynn
Old 07-19-2019, 06:20 AM   #153

Width concerns ??
If they run school buses on those roads you can pull your trailer.
They drive log trucks and school buses on roads that I dont like to drive in my car at times.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #154

Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelnoob View Post
So just for some clarification It is a Intech Sol and I would be pulling it with a 2017 chevy Colorado. Do i need some special mirror adapters or something because of the width.
I have a 2018 Colorado pulling a 2019 Rockwood 2306 Mini Lite and personaly I like the extended add on mirrors. I went through several models and finally settled on the CIPA Universal. They fasten on more securely than all the others I tried and are more adjustable.
rkmazza1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer