Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #1

HELP what model to choose?! Heartland.....

HI!

We currently have a prime time avenger bunk house and decided to move to a different floor plan, we have decided on the one (floor plan, certain features etc.) we want, but Heartland seems to make 3 different models, all of which look almost identical to me! I did call and speak with a heartland rep who told me they are the same except that one is base/entry level model (mallard) and the other 2 are nicer/more quality accents etc...

Was hoping to get input from you all as to pros and cons of each! Or what I should be looking at/for when considering paying more than the "base model" which seems to have all the things we want......Any help would be appreciated!!

Here are the 3 we are deciding between, I know the northtrail seems to have the higest MSRP but as I look on different sites, sealerships etc. the MSRP and sale price etc. vary greatly.....

2018 HEARTLAND MALLARD M312

2018 Heartland Wilderness 3125BH

2018 Heartland North Trail King Slide NT KING 31 BHDD
fortunatemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 06:57 AM   #2

You're right, they all appear to be the exact same except for fit and finish. I'm sure underneath everything is the same (plumbing, tanks, electrical, etc) We looked at several Mallards last time we were shopping and, no offense meant to Mallard owners, we didn't like the furnishings, accents, etc. It just looked and felt "cheap". Don't know your financial situation of course, but I would step up to one of the other two if available and affordable. I would want to walk onto a North Trail model of some sort somewhere to see if it was worth the extra dinero, but we decided it was worth it to step up to a little nicer model. Kinda like deciding if you want leather seats and a sunroof in your new car. I will say for a bunkhouse, I like the floorplan and the way you can sit on the couch facing the TV and not be stuck watching at some angle from across the room. Good luck!
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #3

We all know how well trailers are built so don't expect too much from any of them. The eye candy is just that, eye candy. If the base model is all you need then that's the one to get. Nothing wrong with saving some money.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I don't know anything about those rigs. Hope you find the perfect one for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #5

thanks so much for the quick response and input! yes, we love this floor plan, seems to make so much more sense to have the couch across from TV for a rainy day LOL
Thanks again!
fortunatemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #6
RPr

There is a subtle difference between the models that is for sure. If you have been through dozens of RVs at an RV show. You know it when you see it.

It may be because we have become accustomed to a certain look in our cars, homes and other everyday items.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:08 PM   #7

I *think* the Mallard line, or particular models in that line, are Camping World only. So they can be a bit hard to find specs on, or find any fans around here, since it seems like everyone hates on CW.

I have a Mallard and I'm pretty happy with it.
a44v589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunatemar View Post
thanks so much for the quick response and input! yes, we love this floor plan, seems to make so much more sense to have the couch across from TV for a rainy day LOL
Thanks again!
You are right, it's the best way for watching TV. Looks like a great floorplan with the TV position, good storage for your family and the larger queen bunks.

My last 2 RV's were a floorplan with the TV across from the couch and I would not buy a floorplan in the future that didn't have that setup.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #9

We bought a Heartland North Trail and have been very happy with it. We've had it almost a year now.
Dmrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:52 AM   #10

My parents had a North Trail for several years that served them well. They did have the slide mechanism go out and it was an expensive fix, but no problems other than that.

I looked through some Mallard units and really liked them. But they're mostly specific to camping world and I couldn't deal with them after how they treated my parents on a deal. So we went another direction. But I think overall, Heartland builds a very nice unit with the money and you'd likely be similarly happy with any of the models you're considering. I'd take the one you could get the best deal on.

Tags
heartland