Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 08:31 PM   #1

Help with recoating roof

I need advice for application of hengs rubber roof coat. Is it ok to stand on the roof? I'm totally new to RV'ing and need some pointers.
johnplesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hi John, welcome to the forum. What type of RV do you have ? it all depends on what the roof is made of, most roofs are ok to walk on if your careful. Post the RV you got and we can tell you more.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:45 AM   #3

Were new to this whole RV thing as well but as we have learned when in doubt, whip the owners manual out.

If you dont know if your roof is walk on or not you can always throw down a couple of pieces of 3/4" ply wood. Just start at the front and work your way back.

Here's a pretty good video on the subject:
Some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:17 AM   #4

Just don't wear your small tip high heels! They're death on roofs! Seriously, most people don't do traipsing around on their roofs except for inspections and necessary maintenance, but you should be okay. If in doubt, use some plywood as suggested, 1/4" would probably be enough in my opinion. When you repair or recoat a roof, regardless of which system you use, clean Clean CLEAN are the bywords! Well, DRY is another. Inspect thoroughly for any leaks of spots where the caulking is pulling away from fixtures, I recommend removing any large amounts of caulking, especially if it looks like it may not be adhered well. Putting good over bad will get you nowhere fast! Follow the manufactures instructions to the letter, and make sure you use the cleaner/activator recommended for your final coat. One note, I've found that when using Dicor sealer, it only takes about half as much as they say it will. Not sure why that is, but when I did my 28' travel trailer last spring prior to selling it, the math said I would need 3.5 gallons, so I purchased 4. Used only 2 and that was with a third coat. Anyone want to buy 2 gallons of unopened Dicor? Do a search of the threads for resealing roofs and you'll get a wealth of information, and like a previous poster said, it helps if you tell us exactly what year, make and model you are working on. Take care,
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:46 AM   #5

Thanks! It's a '99 fleetwood wilderness that I sort of inherited from my parents. The roof is currently black all over except a couple spots. We've used it in a weekend of rain and there were no leaks noticeable from inside but I think it's in dire need of painting. I got Hengs rubber roof coating to use. How do you recommend I clean it and using what?
Old 08-17-2015, 05:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplesh View Post
Thanks! It's a '99 fleetwood wilderness that I sort of inherited from my parents. The roof is currently black all over except a couple spots. We've used it in a weekend of rain and there were no leaks noticeable from inside but I think it's in dire need of painting. I got Hengs rubber roof coating to use. How do you recommend I clean it and using what?
At the risk of betraying thousands of years of male genes, my advice is to read the label and follow the directions exactly! Use the cleaners they specify, drying times, recoat times, etc, exactly as depicted on the label.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #7

Help with recoating roof

Use dicor! Period enough said. In Tucson under the sun for years and still like new. Amazon sells it.
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #8

Clean the roofs with dicor rubber roof cleaner and redo all the lap sealant with dicor self leveling lap sealant. Then when roof drys use the dicor rubber roof protectant. If the black on the roof looks like the picture use a EPDM coating. Plenty of videos on you tube to help you out. Good luck Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439854373.572628.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	103650

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
2005 Chevy 2500HD crew cab
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I; have used exact same stuff it real easy to work with. What i did was do a section at a time wash 1 day with spic span or tide, let dry paint next day in shade if possible if not then early in am AFTER it dried from dew or late in pm but not to late so as dry before dark
I did 2 coats as easy
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #10

Help with recoating roof

I applied the first coat and let it dry 24 hrs. When I got back onto the roof to do a second coat, every where I touched seemed to peel right off? I applied a second coat but I'm concerned about this stuff not adhering. I mopped it with dawn and thoroughly rinsed it and let dry 48 hours before coating it. I used a roller to apply it. Help! Is there hope or am I SOL?
Old 09-18-2015, 08:53 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
must be somthing on there that you can't wash off, mine is still fine in S FL sun everyday. maybe that dawn didn't rinse off good . i used tide powder. as far as sol not sure, could try tide on what u just did & see what gives, if the new comes off then just do a complete recoat w tide or spicspan first. also use a soft brush to scrub not a mop
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof