Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2017, 10:34 PM   #1

Help with two AC Units

Is it true I need 50 amp service to run two AC units? Second TT. I need 2. How do I find out if they're 50 amp? By going dealer to dealer? Hopefully not. Ugh.

Andy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #2

According to a thread on the Airstream Owners forum, it is possible to run 2 AC units on 30 Amps. I saw a post there that talked to running a 15K and a 13.5K AC unit. As I recall, they were even able to get both units running while hooked up to a pair of Honda 2K generators. However, you may need to install an Easy Start by Micro Air on both AC units to make it work. I think the Easy Starts go for about $350 each. The units are hard wired into the AC.
https://www.microair.net/collections...-soft-starters
Old 07-28-2017, 05:02 AM   #3

I would say based on what I've seen 2 A/C's will need the 50 amp service to work properly (along with everything else).

I would think, if you had a well insulated trailer (Outdoors RV/Northwood), a single unit would handle the job easy. These brands are popular in the desert southwest for that exact reason.

Most dealers that list detailed specs on the web, will show the 50 amp and second A/C. Here's a good example of what I think might be a deal for somebody looking for a bunkhouse. It's a Winnebago Ultralite line 27BHSS. The Ultralites have been phased out to favor the fully loaded Minnie Plus. This dealer, along with others often ordered their Ultralites loaded with the upgrade packages, to meet/exceed the Minnie Plus. I chased this one down for a co-worker, but he ultimately passed and is pursuing an ORV.

It has the power pack and upgraded to 2nd A/C unit already. Really nice trailer, but it is the boring claycoat color, which I like. They have two in stock, make an offer?
Winnebago 2017 27BHSS

And the Haylett walk-through: (annoying voice, but he really does a good job teaching about the trailers...)
https://youtu.be/rA3VP2nHlyw

This older trailer already has 2 A/C's, while not a bunkhouse, it was in it's day a top of the line traditional travel trailer. Since we're talking Winnebago, it's the company they bought in the crash to start their travel trailer line.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/travelt...n-Lx-36365.htm

Sunnybrook Titan LX brochure (branded as Mobile Scout for the West)
http://www.wilderrv.com/img/base/sun...Titan_2006.pdf

Think of a Mobile Scout as "coach quality" in a travel trailer. That bad boy is heavy too, in part due to the strong frame and higher quality components throughout. At that price, if it passes the roof inspection, you could update the interior upholstery to whatever you liked. It appears ready to go, and the exterior graphics and gelcoat look great. I like it even has the individual window awnings like a coach does. Hey, it's not too far from y'all either!
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSKIBUM View Post
Is it true I need 50 amp service to run two AC units? Second TT. I need 2. How do I find out if they're 50 amp? By going dealer to dealer? Hopefully not. Ugh.

Andy

Search the web for the specs of the rig you are considering. Check the manufacturers specs. They will tell you if it is 30 or 50 amps.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #5

Really don't need 50 amp service......the add on 2nd A/C can be wired into a separate plug, and using the campground pedestals 20 amp breaker, will work just fine......just need a 12 gauge extension cord
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:23 AM   #6

Most of the larger TT that are 50 amp will be pre-wired for a 2nd A/C in the bedroom. If you are going to buy a new TT, and know you are going to want two A/Cs, seems like the simplest thing to do would be to buy one that is set up for that from the factory. We added a 2nd to ours, ran us about $900 installed because there was no wiring to run. They just dropped it in and hooked it up.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:53 PM   #7

Two A/Cs can definitely be run in a 30A trailer, I'm doing it. As the above poster said, use the Auxillary circuit at the service pedestal and run it in directly to the second unit.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:23 AM   #8

It seems to me Mr. Gray missed the point about a 30 amp circuit. You aren't running off a 30 amp circuit, you are using two, 30 amp circuits. You need 50 amps to run 2 AC's off the same circuit.
Jimwelch01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post
Search the web for the specs of the rig you are considering. Check the manufacturers specs. They will tell you if it is 30 or 50 amps.

Look at where you attach your power cord. It should tell what the Amp rating is. Also, the power cord plug ins are different.
Jimwelch01 is offline   Reply With Quote