Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hensley Hitch

I have neighbor that is retired and sold his Sunnybrook trailer. He kept the hensley and now wants to get rid of it. It might be cheap if anyone is interested. PM me and let me know, I can put you in contact with him.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #2

Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you know whay he is asking for it ?

Old 05-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Last time I checked he was at 800.00.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #4

Damn, I paid 1200 for mine.... I should have shopped around
Old 05-19-2014, 11:18 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Hensley hitches: do they work?

I've seen the ads for those for years, but never had a chance to ask anybody who had one: do they really work, and make a noticeable difference?

(Obviously I'm not needing one at the moment, but one never knows what the future might bring!)
LandN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandN View Post
I've seen the ads for those for years, but never had a chance to ask anybody who had one: do they really work, and make a noticeable difference?

(Obviously I'm not needing one at the moment, but one never knows what the future might bring!)
They definitely work. it will take any sway or push/pull out completely. Couple issues when I had mine with our CTD. Hensleys are known to produce what they call 'bump'. It's when the brakes on the truck come on before the TT's brakes and you get a bump or push from behind. The TT's brakes need to be adjusted to come on at the same time as the trucks. We have a Ram with the OEM exhaust brake. When slowing down the truck starts stopping before the TT since the TT's brakes aren't activated with the exhaust brake. That's when the bump occurs. It can be a bit irritating at times. Never a safety issue though. It happens because the Hensley has a pivot point built into the hitch that allows the coupler to swing side to side, like a pendulum. So when the EB kicks in, the truck starts slowing down but the TT still has forward momentum. That forward momentum is then transferred to the coupler, which is allowed to move either to the right or left because of the pivot point. That's when the 'bump' occurs.

The other issue is the part that attaches to the coupler stays on the TT. It has a female end on it. A stinger is then slid into the trucks receiver. You then need to guide the stinger into the Hensley's receiver. It can be a bit tricky. Especially when on a V position. You need to be almost straight and level to hitch up. And sometimes the two won't unhitch very easy.

Most of the time it's just a 'practice makes perfect' thing. But you can't control the surface you're setting up on.

The nice thing about it is the bulk of it stays on the TT. You only have to handle the stinger. Not like most WD setups where you have to pack an 80-90lb WD head plus two spring bars.

I bought a used one for $950 and sold it for $900. So buying used is the way to go IMO. Just make sure you have the right stinger. They can be pricey at $200.00 for a new one, plus the cost to ship it.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #7

I checked and was told that I can trade my stinger if needed for just the cost of shipping. I can also purchase a warranty for it if its checked out to be good.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was talking with my neighbor and he has not had any calls on his Hensley hitch with it being advertised on Craigslist in Seattle. And he is asking 800.00 for the whole set up! Shocking to me that nobody is wanting these hitches anymore. Seems like it was a FAD throughout the late 90's. I guess the old ball and bar have proven themselves time and time again.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #9

I got a regular ole hitch with the weight distribution bars and friction sway control. I havent had any problems. When my 30 footer is hooked to my 2007 Duramax, the truck is the alpha dog in that relationship.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #10

well, I have to say after using mine this weekend I am very happy with mine.... cost a s..t load of money but my Family is worth every penny.