Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2014, 07:48 AM   #29

You should only change one bulb to LEDs first to get a feel for the color, intensity, and use on a dimmer (if you have a dimmer). Generally, warm white is very close in color. I changed all bulbs on one side of the living room first. It was hard to tell which side was LEDs. I used the 9 LED disc panels for G-4 bulb ceiling lights.

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #30

Smile LED Expense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomster View Post
One project high on my "to-do-list" is to change my TT lights to LED. Every time I look into the cost the project is way too high. I have only one word for the retail cost of LED light bulbs..."RIP-OFF". It seems to me the companies making these bulbs have decided that we will pay way more than these things are worth.
I can buy LED flashlights for as little as $1.99 and yet light bulbs to change over my TT lights sell for about 10 times the cost of a 9 LED flashlight made of aircraft grade aluminum that comes complete with 3 AAA batteries! Harbor Frieght even gives you one free with a coupon in their ad! Am I missing something?

Is their any retailer who sells these bulbs at reasonable prices, or are we all at the mercy of manufactures who have decided to overcharge RV owners?

Not too long ago the makers of CFL energy saving light bulbs charged over $10 for one bulb. I stumbled on a "sale" on these CFL bulbs last week at my local supermarket...regular $6.99 each...special 99 cents each....more "smoke and mirrors". Walmart sells 4 packs/60 watt CFL bulbs for under $5. I hope the LED makers join the CFL bulb makers and lower their prices soon.

Any suggestions?
I bought 24 Led's from an outfit in China cost around 15.00 for all. There bright and work very well shipping took about a week to reach me. And yes I would do it again. You can find them on e-bay

donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #31

Thanks to all who offered advise. As soon as the snow melts I will begin the process of selecting first a few bulbs and replacing them for a "Light-Test". After my wife and I both agree on the light produced I will replace all with a type we agree on.
I did buy one string of Xmas LED lights and we both hated the visual result...nasty un-natural light...Hope they like their new home...the landfill !

I did see a study on how long your RV battery will last on conventional light bulbs and was suprised how fast they draw down your battery as compared to LED type bulbs. We do a fair amount of "Boondocking" and even though we have a 3100 watt generator it would be nice to use it less whenever possible....next thing to look for would be an air-conditioner that uses a lot less power ! I'm sure that techno-advancement is a long way in the future!!!
Old 12-29-2014, 11:22 PM   #32

Our 2014 TT has LED, we do not care for them, not bright enough. Three LED bulbs burnt out within 3 months (can you believe they are not warranted by the factory after 3 months?), the dealer replaced them at no cost. Our prior trailer had automotive and florescent bulbs, only replaced one automotive bulb in 13 years, the trailer had more interior lights then you would ever need but you could read a book from any corner of the trailer. Our habits have not changed, if you need light, turn it on, if you don't need it, turn it off, the only difference is we have to use more lights to see because LEDs are not as bright.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:20 AM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
X4 on m4products.com

I bought 2 of each color range. I was thinking that the wife would like warm color, I was wrong. She went for the next whiter color (4500k). I have replaced most of them. Still need some more to complete.

I did run across an issue I need to trouble shoot. With LEDS in my light above the bathroom sink, I turn them on and my TV reception (using the antenna) goes away. I was very fascinated by this. The dc to dc converter LED RF must be close to something the TV uses (antenna amp?). Only the light over the bathroom sink (directly on other side of the wall from the TV) does this. It appears they share the same 12V line. When it bothers me enough, I'll try a .01 ufd filter on the DC line.

Otherwise, I really like my LED lighting. It will be much cooler inside, next summer at the campout.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #34

replaced every light in my trailer for under 30 bux. perfect white light. very little drain on the battery.

I went to ebay and amazon. keep in mind that ebay takes forever as they come form china and japan...
Old 12-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin25113 View Post
X4 on m4products.com

I bought 2 of each color range. I was thinking that the wife would like warm color, I was wrong. She went for the next whiter color (4500k). I have replaced most of them. Still need some more to complete.

I did run across an issue I need to trouble shoot. With LEDS in my light above the bathroom sink, I turn them on and my TV reception (using the antenna) goes away. I was very fascinated by this. The dc to dc converter LED RF must be close to something the TV uses (antenna amp?). Only the light over the bathroom sink (directly on other side of the wall from the TV) does this. It appears they share the same 12V line. When it bothers me enough, I'll try a .01 ufd filter on the DC line.

Otherwise, I really like my LED lighting. It will be much cooler inside, next summer at the campout.
I can not imagine being "fascinated", my hat's off to you. I have never noticed it being "cooler inside" with LED bulbs, honestly I think it is a myth, how can one use that many lights to change a few degrees, let alone enough to feel cooler?
Old 12-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #36

High costs for LED light change-over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
I have never noticed it being "cooler inside" with LED bulbs, honestly I think it is a myth, how can one use that many lights to change a few degrees, let alone enough to feel cooler?

If for example you have 20 halogen bulbs, each 10 watts, that's 200 watts of heat. To put that in perspective, people are keeping their wet bay from freezing with less wattage than that!

Remember that Barbie toy, the "easy bake oven" ? They used to use a 100 watt light bulb to create the heat.

So, it makes some difference. 😃
Old 01-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #37

Let me sum it up if I may,

1. The original bulbs melted my covers on the fixtures. The led bulbs never get hot enough to do that now.

2. The difference in current draw is significant. You see the other bulbs dim when you turn another one on on the old bulbs. Not on the led ones, no difference or change.

3. The led arrays I bought were low cost and provide much more natural white light than the old ones. It is much brighter in the whole trailer.

4. I had to replace a bulb every month and the surrounding area turned black from the heat. Not with the led's have yet to change one so far in over 6 months and NO dark or black areas.....
Old 01-02-2015, 02:31 AM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First; Though there is danger many have ordered bulbs from China, often you can get 5 lamps for 10-20 bucks, not that much more than the cost of same in incandescent from Pep Boys or Auto Zone.

The lamp makers know you won't be replacing the LEDs any time soon, so where as for my puck lights, I might pay 3 bucks anywhere from every six months to two years,,, With LED's I paid 20 (Bit less) and odds are I will not replace them in my lifetime.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:32 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
If for example you have 20 halogen bulbs, each 10 watts, that's 200 watts of heat. To put that in perspective, people are keeping their wet bay from freezing with less wattage than that!

Remember that Barbie toy, the "easy bake oven" ? They used to use a 100 watt light bulb to create the heat.

So, it makes some difference. 😃
Well, when you put it that way, yes it does make a difference, but when you have one or two 12 volt automotive light bulbs on or one florescent on at a time I don't see the big difference. I obviously have not done my homework here, I don't know the watts of the automotive bulbs I had in our prior trailer, nor do I know how much heat they put out, but since we are conservative when using electricity even when on shore power I fail to see the advantage of LED bulbs, heat wise or cost wise, especially since they are are not bright enough to read by, in our case.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:55 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
Let me sum it up if I may,

1. The original bulbs melted my covers on the fixtures. The led bulbs never get hot enough to do that now.

2. The difference in current draw is significant. You see the other bulbs dim when you turn another one on on the old bulbs. Not on the led ones, no difference or change.

3. The led arrays I bought were low cost and provide much more natural white light than the old ones. It is much brighter in the whole trailer.

4. I had to replace a bulb every month and the surrounding area turned black from the heat. Not with the led's have yet to change one so far in over 6 months and NO dark or black areas.....
I guess I was fortunate with our prior rig, the light "fixtures" were made of plastic, including the lenses with two 12 volt automotive type bulbs which you could turn on one or both bulbs. No reason to use both bulbs because one was bright enough. Never had a problem with melting the plastic lenses or any discoloring due to heat.

When I was using 12 volt batteries you could see a dimming when coming off shore power, not noticeable when on batteries only, but then we only had one or two lights on for the most part. When I switched to 6 volt batteries, you could not tell when I disconnected or went to shore power.

In 13 years I replaced only one 12 volt bulb in our prior trailer, I had to replace 3 LED bulbs in less then 3 months (none since, but then our trailer has been in the shop over half the time we have owned it).

The LEDs in our trailer are factory, even the "reading" lights are too dim to use by themselves. I was told I could not change the bulbs in the ceiling lights unless I changed the fixtures. I have not done the research to see if I can change out the reading light bulbs, for now we use a battery book light to read with. I am sure I can find brighter LEDs then what I have now, but the trailer has more serious issues that I am trying to have fixed at this time.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #41

Interesting, I can only say what happens to me. The 12 volt bulbs get black after a month of use but with 3 teenage kids and 2 adult children that come with us on our 2 week trips 5 times a year the lights are always on..... You'd be surprised how much extra heat you get from those 12 volt lights in the bunk area where it's a closed in place. I remember going to turn off the bunk light over my Daughters head when she fell asleep and as I touched the plastic cover to hit the button I felt the cover give and realized I had just burned myself! The ah shi@ that came from my mouth woke everyone up. Anyway, It I'll probably be different from rig to rig....
Old 01-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #42

I have changed every lights in our unit for 3 years now and never have any failed LED lights. Before I was buying light bulbs every month. I have helped all my friends with LED lights for off the grid camping and no failures for them neither. I buy them at 100s at a time. But always buy off shore at about 3-4 dollars each. Well worth the investment.
I am now in the process of complete doing my truck except the headlights.

I use 24-5050 for 1141s and 13-5050 for 921 bulbs in white and warm white.
On my truck and RV the lights are much brighter at night while not loading the batteries for running lights.