Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
High costs for LED light change-over.

One project high on my "to-do-list" is to change my TT lights to LED. Every time I look into the cost the project is way too high. I have only one word for the retail cost of LED light bulbs..."RIP-OFF". It seems to me the companies making these bulbs have decided that we will pay way more than these things are worth.
I can buy LED flashlights for as little as $1.99 and yet light bulbs to change over my TT lights sell for about 10 times the cost of a 9 LED flashlight made of aircraft grade aluminum that comes complete with 3 AAA batteries! Harbor Frieght even gives you one free with a coupon in their ad! Am I missing something?

Is their any retailer who sells these bulbs at reasonable prices, or are we all at the mercy of manufactures who have decided to overcharge RV owners?

Not too long ago the makers of CFL energy saving light bulbs charged over $10 for one bulb. I stumbled on a "sale" on these CFL bulbs last week at my local supermarket...regular $6.99 each...special 99 cents each....more "smoke and mirrors". Walmart sells 4 packs/60 watt CFL bulbs for under $5. I hope the LED makers join the CFL bulb makers and lower their prices soon.

Any suggestions?

Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
bought 43 LED's on ebay for $63.00. They have a "whiter" color to them than the slightly "yellow" light from the original incandescent bulbs. Much better and approx 1/10th the power usage. I'm very happy.

scopey58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Buy the LED's on Amazon, Ebay, or directly from the Chinaman(Aliexpress or Alibaba), and they are pretty cheap. If you buy them from a retail shop it can get painful quickly.

Good Luck!
2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
I guess the LED manufacturers are not as stupid as we may think they are. If you buy LED lights that last many many times longer then standard bulbs, then we, as consumers, will not be buying as many lights & therefore the companies profit falls or takes longer to get at the level they desire. Therefore the price of new bulbs is higher to get their profit now, rather then later. JMHO
38ft Snowvilla. Triple Glides. 2010 Ram 3500 CC Dually. to tow anywhere, anytime.
!!!!!! "RETIRED" !!!!!!.
Arctic Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
Check eBay. I've bought probably 100 LED replacement bulbs on eBay from Chinese sellers and only had a very few bad ones. I replaced 50 G-4 ceiling bulbs with the LED disc panels for about a buck apiece and they are warm-white (close to the same color as the bulbs they replaced).
99 Country Coach
Prevost XL 45 Conversion
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Have purchased both kinds of LEDs. Both have the same number of LED but there is a difference in the quality. I bought the Chinese ones to replace the old lights in the 5er when I replaced the roof.

I wanted to put in dimmable lights. The Chinese lights were only able to work within a small voltage band. Messed with them quite a while trying to get them to work consistently. Spent a lot of time looking at very dim light.

Bought some "good" ones and they worked right from the start. Rated for a much larger voltage band. No issues and great consistent light.

I got what I paid for. And I have a bunch of unused Chinese lights.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Since I have not done this before I guess my next question is where can I look for a chart showing replacement model numbers? Next question is what is the best of the bargain bulbs on eBay or Amazon or wherever?

I normally shop local and support the local businesses, however the high cost of retail forces me to go via the Internet sellers. This is one project I have scheduled for next spring when my world returns to camping weather....got about 10 inches of snow yesterday and overnight....Happy Thanksgiving....looks more like Christmas!
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Here is a good place to start. Even though it might seem overwhelming, E-bay and even Amazon are much worse. It is a US distributer.

Product Catalog :: Diamond Group

Download both the catalog and reference chart.

Good luck!
1998 Kit 23' TT, 210 AH, PM4B-45, RV-30S PWM, 280w solar, Trimetric, Wave 3, Samlex PST-150w
2004 Nissan Titan 4x4 with Tow, Hellwig helper springs, Banks Catback
BendOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I got a bunch of 'em on E-bay for less than 2 bucks a pop.. Not the best I have (those were 10 times the price) but they work well and Im happy with 'em..

Do watch the color temp ratings though.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #10

These people sell very high quality bulbs that have been tested to work well with RV's

pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #11
A little more cost but #1 quality and service.
henboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #12
X3 on m4products.com
alaska04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:30 PM   #13
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Bought some on EBay for about a $1 each. I use them when we in a area we are dry camping in for a few day. On these "cheap" ones I don't really like the blue color they give off. Another issue is, my lighting fixtures are duel bulb units. When using LED's both lights will only work if one LED is shining down and the other LED bulb has to be plugged in and face upward, thus loosing total brightness ? why?
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #14
I got mine thru an Auto Parts store @ cost. What they sell them for an what they pay is Highway robbery!

rewindguy is offline   Reply With Quote