Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2018, 07:39 AM   #1

Highland Ridge OpenRange TT LT272rls

My wife and I are taking a closer look at this unit this afternoon (8250 lbs) to tow for extended trips with our late model F-150, 3.5 ecoboost with tow package. Some of my research notes owner problems with Open Range, primarily with older units however. This unit of interest is a late 2018 and we both like the floor plan and amenities. Does anyone have anything to say about the quality and service of this particular unit? Will my F-150 handle this comfortably?
randallkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #2

The OR units are above average units, IMO. That doesn't mean they're perfect but you could certainly do worse.

As to your truck, the answer is "it depends". My 2013 F150 that I just sold had 600 pounds of available payload when I weighed it with a full tank of gas and my normal assortment of tools: pretty close to GVWR when I added the wife and kids. Yikes.

2015 and later F150s are better after the redesign but you can still run out of payload very quickly and the capabilities of F150s vary widely. You will absolutely run out of payload before GCWR with a properly loaded TT. The best way to know, since you have the truck already, is to figure your maximum allowable trailer weight.

Load up your wife, run by the truck stop, fill up with gas and drop the $10 or so and weigh your truck.

Take that number and subtract it from your GVWR.

Subtract another 100 pounds.

Subtract the weight of anything else that will be in the truck when you travel (kids, pets, generators, firewood, etc).

This result is your available payload for trailer towing. Multiply that by 8. This is the heaviest travel trailer you should tow. To be really conservative you could use 7.

Is that number bigger than the GVWR of the LT272? If it is, you're good. If it isn't you should seriously consider either more truck or less trailer.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #3

8250 lbs and 35' is a lot for an F150. If you have the 145" WB then I would advise investing in one of the premier WDH like a https://www.hensleymfg.com/product/h...trailer-hitch/

or a https://www.propridehitch.com/propri...xoCkBAQAvD_BwE

You'll have a rock solid tow with either. Look for used 1st. You'll save $100's.
You'll also need to watch your payload. The TT has a dry tongue weight of 830. That could easiily be over 1000 lbs when loaded.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #4

Here's a pic I like to share of our 272rls Open Range we bought new in 2016. This was on our second trip. After the first trip it sat at camping world for 3 weeks with a long list of issues, from water leaks in the bathroom to screws missing on the exterior to trim falling off. They barely fixed anything, and we took off for the beach to try it again. The front of the RV then fell off at 65mph, leaving a trail of insulation. I took it back to camping world and after threatening to back it though their front window, they took it back and I left it there and drove off with the Outback we have now. They have removed so much of the structural integrity of the ultra light, they are falling apart from flexing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14225370_10210187697599365_5467573926065276232_n.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	189059  
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallkrug View Post
My wife and I are taking a closer look at this unit this afternoon (8250 lbs) to tow for extended trips with our late model F-150, 3.5 ecoboost with tow package. Some of my research notes owner problems with Open Range, primarily with older units however. This unit of interest is a late 2018 and we both like the floor plan and amenities. Does anyone have anything to say about the quality and service of this particular unit? Will my F-150 handle this comfortably?

Did you end up with an Open Range? I have had my eye on this one: https://www.highlandridgerv.com/prod...ilers/OT310BHS
Swarlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:21 PM   #6

Swarlop, we are very happy with out 310BHS.
Bikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikers View Post
Swarlop, we are very happy with out 310BHS.
Is there anything you don’t like? I keep going back and forth between the 310bhs, the 328bhs (that has the second bath) and the 312bhs which is the light version.
Swarlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #8

No there is not anything major that we don’t like.
Bikers is offline   Reply With Quote