Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #15

Hitch ball lubricant

Worried about getting grease on your pants, i put a sandwich bag over it
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #16

I put a light coat of grease on the ball. It makes sense. Metal to metal should have grease. It's easy to clean it with a rag and apply new grease.

If that's difficult to comprehend, someone missed the 1st day of school.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:39 PM   #17

I always put a little grease on the hitch ball. Makes sense. Metal to metal should have grease. Basic stuff. It's easy to clean with a rag and apply new grease.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:43 PM   #18

+1 on putting grease on the ball. Keeps it from squeaking.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:37 PM   #19

I carry a tube of lithium grease and put a little on the ball every so often.

I have a 2 5/16" ball and the bottom half of a 16.9 oz. plastic Coca-Cola bottle fits nicely over it. The shape of the bottom of the Coke bottle makes it snap in place. It keeps the grease from getting on anything else or washing off when the trailer's not attached.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargoon View Post
Hi All,

I've always used a Hitch Ball Lubricant on my receiver ball and wondering if it is really required?
X2 on the lithium grease. I use a dab or two before hitching up. Cover the hitch assembly with a small plastic trash bag when I take it off at the campsite, keeps the grease off my clothes and protects it from the elements. Then I wipe the ball off completely when we return home.

I give the same treatment to the small ball for the anti-sway bar.

Roger
Old 09-20-2016, 07:01 AM   #21

I do grease my ball as well, BUT
I would add that it is equally important to occasionally wipe off the old grease as it gets caked with sand and dust.
The point of lube is to limit wear. The reduction in noise is a fringe benefit.
If your grease is caked with dirt, you may be doing more harm.
And if you are making a mess, you are using too much grease!

Just wipe it down with a paper towel before towing and apply a thin coat of fresh grease.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:13 PM   #22

Carolina Campers
I am a clean and grease person. I have can smear on just a bit, wipe off when not in use or after a trip or two. Make sure it stays grit free.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:47 PM   #23

I have a tech tip that is being printed in the Dec issue of trailer life. Makes the job easy and no mess.
I lube the trailer ball for the same reason I grease my heel bearings. Same thing.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:02 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I have always greased up the ball with wheel bearing grease. It only needs a fine coat depending on the length of your trip.

Once at the destination, I use a sheet of paper towel and a half cut water bottle to put over the ball. The trailer hitch gets a sheet of paper towel and my tongue lock inserted into the hitch.

Never gotten grease all over anything. Clean up the old grease with new paper towel and a new coating of fresh wheel bearing grease and I'm good to go.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:41 PM   #25

Yes, you really should. It prevents unnecessary wear in the hitch socket. Doesn't need to be a ton, just a thin coat of Reece hitch lube does the trick. After 10-15 years, you'll be glad you did IMHO.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:59 PM   #26

I never used any lube. My thoughts are grease attracts dust and dirt that will get ground in and make a mess. Never thought to ask dealer there thoughts. Kind of a " it's up to you" thing.
signmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:12 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
It IS up to you! It's your hitch and your ball.

Have you ever wondered why commercial truckers spread tons of grease all around their fifth wheel before hitching up to the trailer that they are about to tow clear across the country?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:40 PM   #28

Come on! Really! There are people out there who don't understand the need?
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote