Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2016, 11:18 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I thought the friction between the ball and the hitch is part of the anti-sway of the hitch. LOL.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #30

I am new to towing and camping. I pull a 30' camper. We've been out four times now and it is always a pain to get un-hitched. I need to rock the truck sometimes or keep going up and down with the tongue jack until I can lift the safety lever. I am going to try greasing when we connect next weekend and hope that helps!

BeagleDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleDad View Post
I am new to towing and camping. I pull a 30' camper. We've been out four times now and it is always a pain to get un-hitched. I need to rock the truck sometimes or keep going up and down with the tongue jack until I can lift the safety lever. I am going to try greasing when we connect next weekend and hope that helps!
Have you tried to put your TV in neutral once parked and let off the brake to relieve the bind that backing can create or even put truck in drive to move forward a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch. You shouldn't have that much trouble disconnecting, but it is probably being caused by the ball sitting to in the back of the hitch assembly from when you backed up and into the site/parking space. If you give the tow vehicle a little forward movement, then put in park, then unhitch, you will should find your problem solved. Hope that makes sense.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #32

Carolina Campers
Quote:
In addition to greasing the ball, also try lubricating the entire latch and safety lock assembly on the trailer coupler. I had the same issue on mine and that made a world of difference. I used WD40 white lithium grease spray and that stuff is amazing. This is what I spray on the hitch ball too.

By the way, i had an issue with the trailer door not closing properly; i had to pull the handle to get it to latch. I sprayed the latch assembly with this stuff and totally corrected the issue. I use it on the storage latches too.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #33

Damon Owners Club
does anyone know what the manufactures of balls and ball hitches have to say about the topic?

lube or not to lube or....???
5.9l cummins in a 03 RAM 3500 DRW, pulling a 07 Jayco Designer 34RLQS... all new to me...haul'en me, my sweetie...and man's best friend, our stubby tailed (no tail at all) Australian cattle & Boxer mix rescue dog!
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #34

Andersen hitch says no lube because the anti sway is in the receiver below the ball
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:10 PM   #35

Put on a Anderson Hitch system,an never lube again,an you will notice a huge improvement on chucking an ride!!
Old 02-27-2017, 04:28 PM   #36

Quote:
With many of the newer hitches you absolutely must lower the trailer as far as it will go on the hitch ball. THEN you should be able to un-latch the trailer coupler with ease. Although you may still need to 'bump' the TV front and back a little bit to pop it free. But the key is lowering the trailer as far as it will go; if it's pulling up on the ball at all you'll never get the coupler latch to open.

Roger
Old 02-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #37

I use Teflon Grease !
Old 02-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #38

Use Reece ball grease for metal on metal contact points including the ball. Now that we have a fifth wheel, use it on the king pin along with a lube plate.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:32 AM   #39
IC2

If you have ever had a coupler fail, you will understand what the metal to metal relationship is between that device and the ball. Changing a coupler alongside I-81 with semis blowing by at just under Warp 1 speed is just not fun. My encounter was with my just purchased used car hauler and is really my fault as I didn't do a good inspection (none!) of that gadget, assuming that it was good. It wasn't. The PO hadn't used any lube and the moveable latches lip was worn through and broken off. You just don't know personal 'excitement' until you try to stop from 60 mph, in fairly heavy traffic, with the trailer, a $35K car on board, only held on your tow vehicle by the safety chains while wedged to the back bumper by the jack. Though I seldom use bumper pull trailers now, I will always lube with a heavy duty wheel bearing grease, cleaning the road grime from the ball and coupler after every use. To prevent dirty pant legs, I cover the ball hitch with a rag or garbage bag, etc.

Lube it - metal to metal contact with the added road grime makes a great grinder, especially with several hundred pounds of down force load added to the mix
Old 03-06-2017, 02:59 PM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
I have always used silicone spray. It doesn't attract dirt and is clean.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #41

I have a spray can of white lithium grease that I use on everything including the ball. It works for my electric stabilizers and door step slides too. I have the rubber cover for the ball and so far haven't got grease on my pants. This stuff does help me to disconnect somewhat.

I got the spray can of white lithium at Walmart.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboPals View Post
I have always used silicone spray. It doesn't attract dirt and is clean.

Hardly an extreme pressure lubricant. Hope you don't use it on the wheel bearings.