Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 06:41 PM   #1

Question Hitch Ball Lubricant

Hi All,

I've always used a Hitch Ball Lubricant on my receiver ball and wondering if it is really required?

Any thoughts?
Bargoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 07:15 PM   #2

I do lub mine. Being an old retired driver. I have a lifetime supply of fifth wheel grease that I use. Apply a thin coat each use. Anything to extend the life of equipment would only help. ...Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #3

I use vaseline
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:24 PM   #4

I used to lube mine when I first started out trailering a lot, then I realized it didn't mater much and made more mess than it was worth.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #5

I've never lubed the ball. Not saying it's right, just never done it. Maybe I should start now.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #6

I don't lube mine. Sure makes a mess on your clothes if you rub up against it.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #7

I never have. To me it would be like putting lapping compound inside the coupler.
ken698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:29 PM   #8

U will know it when it needs lube...squeaks like a banshee
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:23 AM   #9

I keep the couple mech lubed to keep it moving freely which some transfers to the ball but that's about it. No issues so far.
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #10

My hitch was making a lot of noise. I started using bearing grease on the ball and the trunnion bar pivot points. Now it makes no noise at all with the exception of an occasional pop when the cams snap back into the saddles.
stormrider15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:20 AM   #11

I apply a dab of grease inside the receiver of the tow dolly and not the ball, although some of the grease gets on the ball. I find it more important to lube the locking mechanisms and spring assembly on the tow dolly or any trailer I use.... And I have seen many times where people connect the trailer hitch to the ball then only push the latch down and don't install a pin or lock in the hole, to keep the latch locked down... Scary!
Old 09-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #12

I am glad others posted as well. I have never lubed a tow ball, but have often thought it might make sense. There are very few metal on metal joints in my vehicles that are loose enough to move, but not lubed.

Generally speaking, the connection point is tight enough not to move, or is designed with some movement and some sort of lubrication.

In the old days, that involved greased bearings and what not. Now the bearings have the grease sealed in, or are set in nylon or teflon which are self lubricating by construction. Again, I can think of no other non lubricated metal on metal connections that is expected to move.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:04 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Almost always do. The coupler has a lot of grease in it, so on short trips, I call that good enough. But on all longer trips, clean and grease the ball.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken698 View Post
I never have. To me it would be like putting lapping compound inside the coupler.
I had to look up lapping compound. I found an application for the slide bolts in weapons.

I have hand guns. I do know that there are some metal on metal slides. I always keep them lubricated. (Very lightly)

So, again, I go to the realization that this is the only metal on metal movable joint that I know that is normally not lubricated.

This thread has been enlightening. I will lubricate from now on...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote