Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #1

Hitch / Coupler Locks

New to the forums here and recently bought our first TT. 19' KZ Spree Escape 196S. Sadly, due to the height, it won't fit in our garage like our pop up did and our City does not allow trailers of any sort to be stored in a driveway.

So, I'm curious what people use for a coupler lock if they have to store a TT off site somewhere. I've had a trailer stolen in the past, just a utility trailer but a theft none-the-less; and I don't want the new one to disappear if I can avoid it.

I've been reading about different types of locks but it would seem like most are easy to cut off in a short time with little more than a $10.00 hack saw. I understand that if somebody wants something badly enough that they're going to take it regardless, but I'd rather have something that will at least make a would-be theif sweat a little in order to remove it. (and possibly give up - rather have a damaged lock than a missing trailer)

Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading.

K.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

A lock shows you care. Any security device can be broken, given time and opportunity. If they don't steal the whole unit, they could break in and remove any electronics, appliances, etc. From the outside, they could take tires, rooftop A/C, etc. I keep my RV in a monitored, fenced, storage center. Things might happen, but I can demonstrate steps I took to my insurance carrier. Life is too short to waste on paranoia.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #3

We have a " M34 MASTER trailer lock" for ours that covers the entire coupler and is super heavy duty. It's about 60$ but worth the investment. I believe they come in different sizes so if you decide to purchase one make sure you get the name of th coupler manufacturer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lock.PNG
Views:	53
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	33252  
Old 02-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

A lock shows you care. Any security device can be broken, given time and opportunity. If they don't steal the whole unit, they could break in and remove any electronics, appliances, etc. From the outside, they could take tires, rooftop A/C, etc. I keep my RV in a monitored, fenced, storage center. Things might happen, but I can demonstrate steps I took to my insurance carrier. Life is too short to waste on paranoia.
I'M definately NOT paranoid - I am however trying to show my insurance "broker" that I really and trully care and have gone to great lengths to prevent something that is probably out of my control anyway.

I have a spot in a secure, fenced, video covered, 24/7 "check in with a guard", locking lug nuts on the aluminum rims etc, etc. ............... my wife is our insurace broker. (the math should be easy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis3 View Post
We have a " M34 MASTER trailer lock" for ours that covers the entire coupler and is super heavy duty. It's about 60$ but worth the investment. I believe they come in different sizes so if you decide to purchase one make sure you get the name of th coupler manufacturer
I was looking at this one. Didn't know about the sizing as the site only specified "universal". In my experience, nothing is universal. Thanks for the info.

K.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipes View Post

I'M definately NOT paranoid - I am however trying to show my insurance "broker" that I really and trully care and have gone to great lengths to prevent something that is probably out of my control anyway.

I have a spot in a secure, fenced, video covered, 24/7 "check in with a guard", locking lug nuts on the aluminum rims etc, etc. ............... my wife is our insurace broker. (the math should be easy)

I was looking at this one. Didn't know about the sizing as the site only specified "universal". In my experience, nothing is universal. Thanks for the info.

K.
Coming from someone who has there TT broken into at a storage facility, I would make your TT look as hard to steal / break into as well.

The crooks went through my skylight had to be skinny kids or adults and stole some of my items by unlocking The front door. There was a bunch of RVs that got hit in the area about the same time. The police pretty well told me they would never find hem unless they were caught in the act in the future.

If you have a burglar alarm system at home call them and ask if you could get a couple more window stickers and put them on your TT windows, it may be enough to scare them off.

I have since moved my rv to a totally enclosed unit at a different place, having the TT under a roof storage will extend The life of and appearance of the roof as well.

I ended up buying this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Towp...k-Kit/15125826

This more be more info or opinion then you wanted to hear , hope I didn't ramble
Old 02-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a thought. The standard ball and coupler makes trailers easy to hook up to and pull away. But, a Hensley hitch requires a stinger to be slid into the receiver and latched. The stinger is pretty difficult to come by.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #7

I would think in a open storage with a fence , the larger TT would not be stolen . Maybe broke into
The smaller one maybe higher chance on being stolen

Mine is stored on a pad by the driveway 31' ... If leave for a weekend without the TT I take a 3/8" plastic coated cable and run it through the wheels on one side and install a lock