Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #1
Hitch system

Wanting information about the Hensley hitch system. Is anyone out there using it on their TT. I know they are expensive but are they worth the money.

cozycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Where are you located? I have one for sale.

2014 Creek Side 23RKS
2006 Chevy Duramax CC 4x4 SB LT3
LBZYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
Buy the Equalizer 4 point System .
I Use this pulling my Cougar 28 RLS (31ft) with 0 issues
With the cost savings you could buy extra goodies for your TT
Best Regards
Mike D
RAM2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
I used a Hensley on a TT with an F150. Worked as advertised. I bought mine used for $950. Sold it for $900. It will do everything that they say it will. Completely remove any sway. When passing semis I never got the push pull feeling with the HA.
I used an EQ for 2 years and decided to try an HA. Found one used on Craig's list about 60 miles from my house. It needed some repairs that I did myself.
Biggest issue was hitching and unhitching. Sometimes the stinger would get stuck in the HA. Also where I parked the TT made the HA difficult to use. The truck and TT were in an V and trying to hitch up on an angle was really irritating.

I would never spend the money for a new one. Mine was 10 yrs old and still in great shape. The original owner had all the paper work and instructions. He bent a few items on it. But I just either made new ones or bought them. One thing to consider is that if you go used make sure you're getting the right stinger. It's about a 200.00 swap out IIRC. If you can find a used one in the $600-900.00 range IMO it's a good enough deal to get one over an EQ or Reese.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
Solo Rvers Club
Just bought my second new Hensley (2 trailers). Original camper is very light in the tongue and swayed something awful with the Equalizer. I'd have had to add way too many cement blocks to get the tongue weight up. Completely cured with Hensley. I actually prefer hooking up with the Hensley so when I bought the new camper (much better weight distribution) I ordered a new a Hensley as well. Could have went cheaper, but for the piece of mind and ease of use, it was worth it to me. Don't let anyone scare you that it is hard to hook up. I was very worried but first hookup was completed in 3 tries and I have never needed more than 2 tries and I've hooked at an angle, straight on and unlevel. Rear camera helps IMMENSELY!!! 5 mins and I'm on the road.
Obewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
I believe they are a terrific hitch. I would opt for the Propride, the company who purchased the patent from the inventor and improved the design.
That being said my feeling is that a lot of sway is caused by towing too large a trailer with an under sized tow vehicle. Try towing an 8000-9000 pound unit with a F150 or a Super Duty 250. No comparison. My brother is towing a heavy trailer with a V8 Explorer and he gets tossed around like a wet noodle. He's going with a 250 also.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
Running a PROPRIDE 3P. for several thousand miles. I bought new and am totally pleased. I learned a lot about setting it up from Sean, the owner of ProPride. Some additional "tweaking" as I learned more..

Several occasions for evasive manuevers proved the advanced handling this hitch provides.

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote