Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #1

hitch won't lock onto ball

Help, yesterday I tried hooking up my trailer using a Reese 66069 WD hitch. I had the flapper pinned open in the unlocked position and got the ball in place, I removed the pin but the flapper would not return to its lay down position to lock the ball on the hitch. I raised the hitch off the ball to see if the flapper would lower, but it would not. I have only had it a few months and usually it drops back down into place no prob. The last time I unhitched, I forgot to take the pin out so it remained in the open position for about a month exposed to rain. Did it get rusty down inside it? Has this happened to anyone before? Any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #2

Think if u just use spray lube and work it a little it will be ok. I keep mine open too, but keep it oiled up

Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
CD

If it free off the ball it should be Ok on the ball. Your TV is probably a fraction of an inch back. Just ease the TV ahead enough to tighten against the front of the hitch. I have had this happen many times.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
If it free off the ball it should be Ok on the ball. Your TV is probably a fraction of an inch back. Just ease the TV ahead enough to tighten against the front of the hitch. I have had this happen many times.
XX2
Old 04-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #5

hitch

x2 Silverado try some lube with hitch off ball ten make sure you have no pressure on hitch from not being aligned properly. move front or back and wiggle TT sometimes they will bind.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #6

Thanks all. CD - the flapper will not drop whether it is on the ball or not. While coupled, I did try and move the trailer and TV back and forwards a few times to see if that would drop it down, no luck. I sprayed it with WD40, but it did not free up. Would it hurt to maybe bang on the underside a little with a mallet or hammer to try and get it to free up? Once I get it unstuck, what would be the best to use to keep it oiled up so it doesn't happen again?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug10 View Post
Thanks all. CD - the flapper will not drop whether it is on the ball or not. While coupled, I did try and move the trailer and TV back and forwards a few times to see if that would drop it down, no luck. I sprayed it with WD40, but it did not free up. Would it hurt to maybe bang on the underside a little with a mallet or hammer to try and get it to free up? Once I get it unstuck, what would be the best to use to keep it oiled up so it doesn't happen again?
You may have the flapper wedged up in the tongue. Try spraying some penetrating oil over the moving parts. You may need to use a flat blade screwdriver and place it from the slot on top of tongue on the flapper and use ur rubber mallet to hit the screwdriver in order to free the flapper. I've done this before on old trailers that sit outside. Once u get it free, just keep it lubed up with any good spay lubricate. I do all my stabilizer jacks & steps (all pivot points) several times a year..never have any problems.
Hope this helps
Old 04-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
CD

Silverodo07 pretty nnuch gave you the answer that I was going to give. Has your TT set a long time without use? I went out and looked at how my trailers worked and the wedge moves forward and a little down. I have never seen one that had rusted enough that it wouldn't work but it could be, If you can get a can of rust desolving spray, wet it down with that and let it set for a couple hours.The one I use is called Free All and is the best I have found. Can't say where you can get it. I get it from a friend that buys it by the case online. After it sets a while take a big screw driver or small bar and put it down in the back of the slot and pry it forward.
As for lubing the ball & hitch, I did that years ago and thought it did more harm than good. It collects dirt etc and that is not good.
Good luck

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #9

Thank you Silverado07 and CD. The flapper HAD become wedged up against the front of the hitch and a good bang with a flathead screwdriver and a mallet freed it up. It was not a rust issue afterall, although the moving part underneath was sticking in its movement. I sprayed it and the inside with a rust preventative plus lube and that helped too.

There are so many RV forums out there on the internet, but this forum is the most helpful I have found because the members care enough to try and help!