Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #1

Holding tank odors

Having a problem with black tank odors any time I use the bathroom exhaust fan. Commode seal is holding water so I don't believe it is coming from there. I have tried leaving the tank valve open so everything runs out each timed it is used and tried closing valve and using chemicals. Nothing seems to work. All suggestions appreciated.

Carl
2013 Evergreen Everlite 35RLW

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlcaudill View Post
Having a problem with black tank odors any time I use the bathroom exhaust fan. Commode seal is holding water so I don't believe it is coming from there. I have tried leaving the tank valve open so everything runs out each timed it is used and tried closing valve and using chemicals. Nothing seems to work. All suggestions appreciated.

Carl

If your toilet seal is good, you may, in fact, be smelling the gray tank. It smells every bit as bad as the black tank. You should have an air admittance valve under the sink. The OEM valves are typically very cheap and are leak prone. You might try getting a higher quality one at Lowes or HD. look under the sink. The air admittance valve is at the top of a piece of vertical waste pipe. Screw it off & stuff a rag in there. Take the old one to the store & get a suitable replacement. They will range in price from $5 to $25. There is also one in the galley.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #3

Retired Fire Service RVer's
We use Happy Campers toilet chemical....we LOVE IT.

I think we got it on Amazon...like everything else...whew.

It is a little pricey...but it really has worked for us....NO smell even when dumping our black tank...you can even put some in your gray tank.

I have used it to clean the toilet and then flush...works great.
Hope this helps....safe travels
Old 01-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #4

Look under bedroom sink for 'air admittance valve' (AAV)

It is on a stub pipe after the 'P' trap.
Opens when draining so 'P' trap doesn't get sucked dry

Cheap ones used by MFG. just a flapper held closed by tang.
Tang stretches and flapper doesn't fully close tight

Exhaust fan creates lower pressure in bathroom........flapper gets pulled open and STINK from your grey tank gets pulled up thru drain into bathroom.
Grey tanks stick just as bad if not worst then black

AAV can be found at most any hardware store. They just hand screw on.
Cheap ones....$5
Better ones.....$25

I just replace with cheap ones when they fail.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #5

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Steve O and Biscuit have educated me....excellent gentlemen...
Old 01-01-2016, 06:17 PM   #6

No one mentioned it, so I'll mention that it's a bad Idea to leave the dump valve open. You need the liquid in there to help liquefy the solids, then flush them out with a nearly full holding tank.

If you leave the solids pile up, you will create the dreaded "pyramid of death". You don't want to deal with that--trust me.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've heard, but can in no way confirm yet, that some RV manufacturers plumb the bathroom sink and/or shower into the black tank. If the little air admittance valve goes bad on one of those setups, then stinky-poo city.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:28 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Second the motion on "Happy Camper". We use it in both the black and gray tanks. No problem with oders since using. Also, for the gray tank we use a six inch plastic flat cover to cover the drain and use both sink plugs (bath and kitchen) when we are storing the unit. No problem since implementing these two procedures.
RVi 2 Auxiliary Braking System
iRent2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I've heard, but can in no way confirm yet, that some RV manufacturers plumb the bathroom sink and/or shower into the black tank. If the little air admittance valve goes bad on one of those setups, then stinky-poo city.
Rumor confirmed: our bathroom sink is plumbed to our black tank. It doesn't have an air admittance valve though. It's connected to the black tank vent that goes to the roof.

I actually like having the bathroom sink set up this way because we tend to fill up the grey water tank before the black tank. Plus, we add extra water to the black tank every time we wash our hands, brush out teeth, etc., which as we know helps to keep the black tank in good shape.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post

A previous coach, a Safari Trek, had the bathroom sink draining to the black tank. Rather liked, made it easy to add water to the black tank.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:04 PM   #11

Ok. Let me say this. I'm a weekend warrior type. So when I gear up to head out with the RV the first thing I do is close all 3 knife valves. Then taking a 5 gallon bucket I dump 5 gallons of clear water down the toilet to start my black tank for the trip. Now I'll travel for the weekend or few day what ever. When I'm done I typically dump in my sewer clean out in my yard so all tanks are emptied. Then dump about 20 gallons of clean water in the black again and dump. Now I'll park my RV and store with all 3 knife valves OPEN. Never had a poo pyramid yet.

Ok. I know there is going to be a lot of nay sayers and such. First off storing with the valves open allows the tank to dry out. Sensors always work now because the scum doesn't grow. Smells and such never have a problem because of pre-loading the tank before my travels with 5 gallons. This hopefully keeps solid waste submerged in water keeping the smell down. As for tank chemical I can't use any because dumping at home goes right to my septic tank and drain field which most tank chemical will impact septic systems one way or another.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:04 PM   #12

If you haven't figured out your problem, I can tell you what I found. Had the smell problem for a long time. Numerous times to the dealer. I asked them a few times if the vent hose was clogged or something and they always said no. Finally, I asked them to fill the black tank and then check the tank vent. Sure enough, it only took a couple of gallons before the vent pipe was under water. They found that the pipe had slipped down somehow. They adjusted it and haven't had any issues since, except when it gets really full (rarely for us). I think I could get them to move it up some more to get the complete tank usage, but it is really rare that it ever gets full.

If you want to check it, you can fill the black tank with water and put an air down the vent pipe from the roof - not a lot, just enough to make bubbles in the water in the tank. It will take two people. Good luck. You are not the only one that has had to deal with an issue like this.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
Ok. Let me say this. I'm a weekend warrior type. So when I gear up to head out with the RV the first thing I do is close all 3 knife valves. Then taking a 5 gallon bucket I dump 5 gallons of clear water down the toilet to start my black tank for the trip. Now I'll travel for the weekend or few day what ever. When I'm done I typically dump in my sewer clean out in my yard so all tanks are emptied. Then dump about 20 gallons of clean water in the black again and dump. Now I'll park my RV and store with all 3 knife valves OPEN. Never had a poo pyramid yet.

Ok. I know there is going to be a lot of nay sayers and such. First off storing with the valves open allows the tank to dry out. Sensors always work now because the scum doesn't grow. Smells and such never have a problem because of pre-loading the tank before my travels with 5 gallons. This hopefully keeps solid waste submerged in water keeping the smell down. As for tank chemical I can't use any because dumping at home goes right to my septic tank and drain field which most tank chemical will impact septic systems one way or another.
Mopar1973Man
I use pour 2 caps full of Liquid Rid-X in each tank after dumping... (Rid-X is is beneficial for septic tanks).
RID-X Septic Tank System Treatment, 3 Month Supply Liquid, 24 Ounce - Walmart.com
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-09-2016, 12:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlcaudill View Post

Carl
1: Do you have a black tank wash inlet? Ours is a hose connection on the side of our TT. It does a swirly spray into the black tank and cleans a reasonably clean tank.
2. Do you have a spray stick? Not sure what else to call it. It connects to a hose, has a shutoff valve, you stick it down the toilet, open the valve and it sprays sideways and allows you to purge the tower of poo.
As you might infer from my suggestions I think you have a build up in the black tank. Beentheredonethatdidn'tthinkthatwastheproblembutit was.
Also turned out our black tank sprayer was broken, not sure how, don't want to know, glad I fixed it, more pressure more happy, more tools even better,
Tim

Tags
odor, tank