Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler heater question

I have recently acquired a 1978 Holiday Rambler statesman 1000. It still has original heater and it looks like it needs electricity(ac or dc) to run the heater. Is there any way around this as I will be using it off grid.

Thanks,

Bruce
Bawoodworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Not sure what you're talking about when you say, "heater." Most RVs have a furnace, a forced hot air LP fueled furnace. They operate on 12v DC and the fan blows air through a heat exchanger so the inside air never mixes with combustion gas.

Please list the make and model number of your heater (furnace) and we can perhaps give more information.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:58 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
It is 12v DC, runs on the coach battery power.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #4

Yes you are correct. It is a furnace. I used to have an old 60's model camper trailer that had a gas furnace with a pilot light and no fan so it didn't need electricity. Initially, I'll be using the TT for hunting so I'll be Boondocking it. Since hunting season is in the fall we will probably need the furnace a fair amount. I could use advice as to ways to keep a battery(or 2 or 3) charged and what are the best batteries to use. I'm would rather use solar to charge the batteries but I'm not sure about price/performance. Any comments are welcome as I'm not used to this level of sophistication in my TT.

Bruce
Old 08-15-2018, 05:14 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
A couple of deep cycle batteries would easily last through the night. I don't know your location, but 1-200W of solar would keep you charged up. An alternative would be a small generator if you have no neighbors that would object to the noise for a few hours each day to top them up again. Many small generators are pretty quiet, Honda has great ones, but there are other, cheaper models almost as quiet. You might also price larger LP tanks, perhaps a local gas company could set you up with a tank that they would keep filled for you.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:37 PM   #6

Bflinn;
Thanks for the advice. This should get me going. Headed to central Montana in mid October to hunt antelope. C

Bruce

Tags
heat, heater, holiday rambler