Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
Honda vs Ryobi

We are looking at purchasing a new generator for the upcoming camping season. I have looked at both the Honda EU2000 and the Ryobi generator from Home Depot. I see that they are similar in power capabilities. (At least for what we would use it for). The specs list the noise level being about 5db difference. The ryobi is also about half the cost of the Honda. Anyone have any input? Thanks in advance!

2011 Coleman 267BH Fifth Wheel - Traveling Camper
2011 Chaparral 330FBH Fifth Wheel - Seasonal Camper
2013 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi - 3.73 Axle
smonagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We have known several folks with the Honda's and also owned one ourselves years ago. I have never seen one wear out, we know people that run them 24/7 when at lake Havasu and lake Powell. If you decide you need more power, you can hook two together for 4000 watts of power and still cheaper than a eu3000. We have seen people run a fuel line from a 2.5 gallon gas can so they can run all night. My guess would be that Ryobi is not actually building their gens but are just marketing under their name.

2017 Newell, 2015 Yukon Denali , 2013 Polaris RZR 4/900
FMCA: 383383
nforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't have actual experience with these products but most of what Ryobi makes for the big box stores is entry level quality. They would be similar to the types/brands of battery operated tools in Wally-World as well. Entry level, lower quality, will work for a time but don't expect a long life. I've got experience with a lot of electric tools over the years and they are not top on my list.

I've had much better experience with and have read more good concerning Honda lawn mowers and generators. The Honda engines are far superior to many other brands.

If you are buying a generator that's something that you want and expect to run and run and run. You need a good engine.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
See if you can test run both..........that Honda is whisper quiet, I wonder about the 5 db difference, not saying Ryobi isn't a good product but wondering how loud........... JB
pivotdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
Hard to beat a Honda or a Yamaha generator. You know the saying you get what you pay for!!!
07 jayco 314 bhds
Friendswood, tx
lx22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
There are only two generators. Yamaha and Honda. All others are junk.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
I have have the yamaha 2000. About same cost/specs as honda but has fuel gauge and fuel shut off. Starts easy.
Mike H 2002 Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Perceptions of Increases in Decibel Level
Imperceptible Change1dB
Barely Perceptible Change3dB
Clearly Noticeable Change5dB
About Twice as Loud10dB
About Four Times as Loud20dB

Decibel (Loudness) Comparison Chart
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
I have the Yamaha-EF2400ISHC and it a beauty. It ran everything in my hybrid including the 13.5k AC (not all at the same time of course). Then we moved up to our present TT with a 15k AC and the Yamaha would not start the AC at all. Still, it ran a bunch of other stuff. Anyway, I decided to go large and got the Honda EU6500, which I carry in my pick up and it definitely runs everything.

Both of these generators are virtual works of art in my mind in terms of design and build quality. They are both very expensive. That said, I've read user stories of knock-offs (possibly like the Ryobi) that people are very satisfied with. I laid out the big bucks for the Honda since I will use it both for the camper and as a home back-up generator. I had the big 7500 Home Depot $699 generators and the noise drives me crazy. The Yamaha 2400 and the Honda 6500 are very, very quiet. Don't know about the knock offs in terms of noise.
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Yamaha 3000Si super quiet had it for 4 years. When we are at our property in northern AZ it runs 24 hours/day never uses any oil, will run all night on a tank of gas. The biggest difference between Yamaha and Honda, Yamaha is slightly heavier. If you search the web you can find good deals for the Yamaha.

Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis with tag axle, Chassis build date 1/99 in Mexico, Banks System, Trans Command, Air Lift Air Bags on rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front and rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel. FMCA #F430129
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
I have a Yamaha 3000Si super quiet had it for 4 years. When we are at our property in northern AZ it runs 24 hours/day never uses any oil, will run all night on a tank of gas. The biggest difference between Yamaha and Honda, Yamaha is slightly heavier. If you search the web you can find good deals for the Yamaha. Chuck

I believe in the 2000 watt the yamaha is lighter
Mike H 2002 Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #12
[ Moderator Edit ]

At work in our engineering prototype shop and field service trucks, we used to stock Dewalt 18V everything. Drills, impacts, saws etc...... But after numerous dead batteries and the desire for longer battery life, we decided to move to lithium. We were able to get a good deal on a large ryobi battery charging system with several drills and cordless impacts. So we decided to move to the ryobi system and haven't looked back. These things get used everyday in the shop, the batteries last most of the day, get thrown in the charger overnight and used again the next day. I can say, we use ryobi for commercial use, and they've lasted as well if not better than our Dewalts.

Next come to the specific home depot generator you're looking at. We actually have a honda EU2000i at work for various uses around the shop. It's very reliable and a great unit. When i was in the field working on a project, i found that i needed more power than my little car inverter could handle. Being out in the middle of nowhere, i was lucky enough just to have a walmart and home depot close by. I went to home depot and found the Ryobi unit, i went on youtube and found a good video made by ryobi. It seems they did at least design the unit even if they don't make it. I like the wheels and grab handle. It's not terribly heavy either. I used it for 3 weeks in the field, and brought it home where we use it around the facility for various activities. It has about 7 months of use out of it now, and has started on the first pull every time. I have no doubts it'll be just as reliable as the honda unit. Also the ryobi unit is 2300watts peak and 1800 continuous. I believe the honda is 2000watts peak and 1600 continuous.

One interesting thing that i never tried but looked into was an extended run tank. I looked at the parts diagram for the Ryobi, and it appears to have a diaphram style fuel pump just like the honda. So it should be able to suction fuel from an external tank. The only other design difference is the gas tank is vented through a tube and no the cap. To run an extended tank, you'll need to pinch off that tube, or i was thinking just hook it onto a on/off barb fitting, drilling a hole in the service cover. Label it Internal tank or AUX tank with the turn of a knob. Then just attach your gas cap with hose to external tank.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #13
5db is a very large difference in sound. Each 3dB is twice as much noise power- it's a logarithmic scale.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #14
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen one person who had a problem with a Honda.. Turned out to be a Stupid User Error.. I fixed the user and the generator worked fine.

Robi.. Is a lower quality product line.. How much lower I can not say.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote