Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #1

Hook Up Electric Cord

When in the Camground, what are the sizes of the Cords. 30 or 50

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
Happy Traveler : )

depends:

-some have both
-some have one, or the other
-some have none

Old 10-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by behillman View Post
When would one use a 30Amp. Cord for a hook up. If no washer /dryer or other large3 electrical gadgets. What does this look like. 3-plugs.?
Old 10-07-2016, 05:42 PM   #4

Quote:
When would one use a 30Amp. Cord for a hook up. If no washer /dryer or other large3 electrical gadgets. What does this look like. 3-plugs.?
I should mention I have a TT 2000 Springdale. 26 ft. Do I have a 30 or a 50 amp cord. The reason I'm asking is because here at home, I would like to hook up the electricity & check if my a/c is working fine. How do I plug it into the house extension cord
Old 10-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #5

30 AMP will run one ac. I have 2 ac's so I just check one at a time.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
I should mention I have a TT 2000 Springdale. 26 ft. Do I have a 30 or a 50 amp cord. The reason I'm asking is because here at home, I would like to hook up the electricity & check if my a/c is working fine. How do I plug it into the house extension cord
You have a 30 amp cord. It's called a shore cable by us RVers. The plug on your 30 amp cord won't fit any of the outlets in your house.

You can buy an 30 amp to 15 amp adapter that will adapt your 30 amp plug into a standard plug that will plug into any grounded outlet. This will be on 15 amp or 20 amp proteted circuit in your home.

If there is no other loads on in your RV and on the circuit in your home you should be able to start and check the AC. However, you may have to wait an hour or two after plugging in your TT for your TT converter that puts charge to your batteries to drop down into slow charge or float charge mode. When it's in fast charge mode it draws about 500 watts and that plus the AC may overload a 15 Amp Circuit. 20 Amp would be OK.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55165-P...to+15+amp+male

Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:

Not sure what it is you are asking about..........

CG Power pedestals can have 50A receptacle, 30A receptacle and a 20/15A receptacle.

50A is 4 prong
30A is 3 prong
20/15A is 3 prong household type outlet (Generally a GFCI outlet)

Could only be a 30A and 20/15A

IF that is NOT what you are asking about.......

Then ask again
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
You have a 30 amp cord. It's called a shore cable by us RVers. The plug on your 30 amp cord won't fit any of the outlets in your house.

You can buy an 30 amp to 15 amp adapter that will adapt your 30 amp plug into a standard plug that will plug into any grounded outlet. This will be on 15 amp or 20 amp proteted circuit in your home.

If there is no other loads on in your RV and on the circuit in your home you should be able to start and check the AC. However, you may have to wait an hour or two after plugging in your TT for your TT converter that puts charge to your batteries to drop down into slow charge or float charge mode. When it's in fast charge mode it draws about 500 watts and that plus the AC may overload a 15 Amp Circuit. 20 Amp would be OK.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55165-P...to+15+amp+male

Good luck.
I have my battery disconnected, since I need a new one, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #9

Thanks for the information. I know now that I must have a 30amp. cord, so I need to get an adapter. A 30Amp to l5amp,(110) inorder to plug into a l2 gauage extension cord, so that I can check my a/c in my travel trailer. Thanks everyone, You are just great.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:51 AM   #10

You are pushing your luck trying to start & run your AC on a 15 amp outlet at your house.

Better to try a 20 amp circuit.

Check your AC manual to see what the current draw is for your AC unit.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:19 AM   #11

Lots of "information" here but the only real issue is with regard to the gauge and length of the extension cord you are proposing to use. Arguably, a 15 amp circuit is the bare minimum for what you want to do and it would be better if you could use a true 20 amp house outlet circuit. Keep the other draws to a minimum in your rig. You are using a 12 gauge cord, which is good, but anything over 10 or 15ft could be a problem, if you intend to run the A/C for very long period.
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:15 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
When at home you can safely use a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter and plug into a 15 or 20 amp circuit as long as you minimize the load on that circuit. If you should ever decide to install a 30 amp circuit for your TT make sure the electrician views the first link below. Make sure he understands its 30 amp/120 volt.

As previously stated if there is nothing else on the 15/20 amp circuit you will be able to run your AC unit.

Do not try to connect to your home 30 amp dryer, welder, etc.. circuit as it is 240 volts your TT will only handle 120 volts. 240 volts will damage items in your TT. Very costly to repair.

Here are a couple RV electric links to look at to help you with your question.

RV Electric

RV Electrical Systems
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I know now that I must have a 30amp. cord, so I need to get an adapter. A 30Amp to l5amp,(110) inorder to plug into a l2 gauage extension cord, so that I can check my a/c in my travel trailer. Thanks everyone, You are just great.
You definitely need to keep that extension cord as short as possible. After it runs for 20 minutes or so see how hot the cord and adapter are if it is more than warm to the touch don't use it.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #14

I often run my 1 AC for weeks at a time and once for a month, on a 12 gauge 50 ft cord.

The only issue I had, was the 30 to 15 amp adaptor got hot.

I replaced it with a dog bone adaptor instead of the 2 inch long rubber one, with no wire, between the ends.

I stay at 3 different family members houses with this cord and only need to shut down the AC, for microwave use. My hot water is gas only.

At one house, I need to leave the fridge on gas and turn the converter off, during the hot part of the day.

Is it supposed to work, maybe not, it's borderline. Does it work, yes.

Only you can make the decision.