Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #15

Champion 3500/4000 68 db. Comes with the rv plug on it. Just plug it in. Great value for the money. I removed mine from its frame and mounted and enclosed it on my reinforced bumper. Converted to propane. Its a remote start model so I use the key fob to start and stop it from inside. Also run a transfer switch. I had to use a propane regulator with the primer function. Prime it for a few seconds and then press the fob. Enclosing it helped quiet it down. Its no Honda so I dont worry about it being stolen.

I do run the tv's off an inverter now but I was running then with the generator for a short time with no problem. To play it safe I wired one of the circuits to run off a 300 watt inverter just for the tv's and computers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most of the gas or propane Onan generators are not inveter controlled.
Why are we not worried and talking about them. And yes they are noisy.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #17

All I know is during power failures I have a PTO driven generator that runs from the tractor. It's big enough to power the whole farm. It's a Winco and it's about 20 year old. I've never had a problem with any of my newer electronics including the TV, Sat Dish, Computer, or anything else. Last year I was without power for 80 hours and it ran continuously without problem.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Caveman, just exactly what I thought. Much of this concern about non inverter generators is not warranted.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #19

sorry kind of a long and ramblin post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
All I know is during power failures I have a PTO driven generator that runs from the tractor. It's big enough to power the whole farm. It's a Winco and it's about 20 year old. I've never had a problem with any of my newer electronics including the TV, Sat Dish, Computer, or anything else. Last year I was without power for 80 hours and it ran continuously without problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
Caveman, just exactly what I thought. Much of this concern about non inverter generators is not warranted.

I am with you guys on this subject. I currently have 2 gensets, a 5kw Denyo that is 32 years old (got it on the cheap at a local refurbishing center) for the house after the 2011 earthquake and tsunami and a 2.8kw yamaha inverter (i bought for my TT) and a 2001 elcheapo john deere 5kw that I used for picnis, and fundraisers with my lodge.

here is the differences between them, the Denyo though its only slightly newer then my wife, is quiter (in general) and more reliable (its always ready to go

the Yamaha is quieter than both of the others (quieter in fact than my snoring according to Wifey dearest) and while I have not had it long, I expect that it will prove to be totally reliable.

the John deere has a kawasaki motorcycle engine so it always starts, but its noisy and could literally raise the dead and though it claims to be 5kw, 5.5kw peak, best I saw was about 4kw continuous..... sold it to a friend after the eathquake.

all three ran my pc and flatscreen with no issues. The denyo even though its very old school was a top of the line model when new, and as a result its output was clean, cleaner than many of the current non inverter models.

the John deere, well it was pretty nasty when I checked it with the O scope. the yamaha well lets say I got what I paid for, clean accurate and very fuel efficient.

Most of the hype though about invertor vs non invertor is just that hype, yes the voltage regulation is better, the frequency regulation is better, but my computer and TV cannot seem to tell the difference. where the newer invertor units shine is in fuel efficiency and noise. that and the fact that it could not make a true 5kw of power is why I got rid of the JD in favor of the older, but better denyo unit.

ken