Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
CVH

Hooking up a generator

Is there any need to take any special precautions when hooking up a regular gasoline generator to my TT ? Not an inverter one. Just a regular alternator one. Precautions such as line conditioners or voltage regulators ? I have a Champion brand one which from what I've read is a good brand as far as Chinese gennys go.

Is it okay to just fire it up, plug it in and go ? Its 5k running watts so size isn't a problem. just worried about voltage fluctuations and varying frequency.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It all depends on the generator.. But if it's not an inverter generator then you should pack plenty of ear plugs for your neighbors.

Generators come in several flavors, Many of the small (usually under 5,000 watt) generators where the motor speed is 3600 rpm (3000 in countries with 50 hz power) are kind of nasty power wise. If that is the case I might risk my converter, but I'd run the TV and such off the inverter (Which in my rig is a true sine wave, I would not use an MSW for that).

Of course I have two converters in this rig... I would only risk one of them on a cheap generator.

That said.. I used to have a 1,000 watt generator, not an inverter but it was enclosed (Making it much easier on the ears, roughly the sound equal to a Honda EU-2000i) it gave out fairly clean power, it was well built.

But most of the imported ones... not what I'd recommend.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Installing a Progressive Industries EMS may be a good idea as it will prevent things from going too far astray and you can check voltage and frequency. You do however have to jumper so it does not see the or you will get an error which is because the generator has no neutral-ground bond which you would get from the utility. You can make a bypass or make a bonding plug. To make a bonding plug get a replacement plug from the hardware store. Get a 100,000 ohm 1/2 watt or 1 watt resistor from the electronics supply house. Connect the neutral and ground pins within the plug. No cord gets attached. Insert the plug into one of the generator outlets and the error will clear. The resistor is small enough that it should fit inside the plug housing.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:01 AM   #4

If it's a conventional generator (non-inverter) it will already be bonded - it has to be or it would never make power across the quadrature.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
CVH

My generator is listed as having a floating neutral. It does work and power things as needed. But i worry that i could possibly do harm to things. My tester shows no voltage to ground and a voltage of 126 volts hot to neutral with no load. Yes i know that an inverter generator would solve the issue. But i would like to make this one work if i could without having to purchase another one.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #6

I've got a Champion 4000W and it seems to work fine but I have an older TT with no big electronics and I only run it to charge the batteries for a shorter period each day and not run the TV at night with it. I will be getting a small inverter for the TV only, at night, before my next trip.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #7

Ok new to this as many are, did purchase a 4000 Champion generator for the purpose of camping if needed. However I would like to know why an inverter is needed and its purpose.
TopV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have the Champion 4000 that I use during power outages at home. I have had no problems at all using it to power my equipment including 55 inch tv and satellite system.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I have the Champion 4000 that I use during power outages at home. I have had no problems at all using it to power my equipment including 55 inch tv and satellite system.
Yes I have done the same with no problems.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #10

TopV You would only need an inverter to run your TV or other 120V A/C electric appliances (small microwave) if you didn't or couldn't (quiet hours at the RV park) run your generator. Then the inverter would turn your 12 volt DC battery power from the trailer batteries into 120 volt A/C electricity to run those items.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your neighbors will hate you when you run the Champion generator...unless you let them plug in as well.

Ken
Old 12-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #12

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVH View Post
Is there any need to take any special precautions when hooking up a regular gasoline generator to my TT ? Not an inverter one. Just a regular alternator one. Precautions such as line conditioners or voltage regulators ? I have a Champion brand one which from what I've read is a good brand as far as Chinese gennys go.

Is it okay to just fire it up, plug it in and go ? Its 5k running watts so size isn't a problem. just worried about voltage fluctuations and varying frequency.
ONLY PROBLEM is the noise. It's extremely inconsiderate to run a noisey generator in a camp ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But than there sure are a lot of people who don't give a dam about anyone else.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #13

What amount of output wattage would be required to run the a/c from a generator? I have a 24 Element.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
CVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler52 View Post
ONLY PROBLEM is the noise. It's extremely inconsiderate to run a noisey generator in a camp ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But than there sure are a lot of people who don't give a dam about anyone else.
This is for primitive usage only when there will be no neighbors. Trust me, I know this is a noisy generator. And I am always conscience of others.

My only concern is burning something up with " not pure / clean power. I know that there are varying degrees of clean to dirty power when it comes to conventional generators. Some el-cheapo units I would only trust powering my table saw. Not things like televisions or microwaves.

Thanks for the input from other Champion brand owners. So far it seems I'm good to go.