Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #1

Hooking up the DVD Player on Concertone

Can anyone out there tell me as simply as possible how to hook up the DVD player on the ZX500 to my television? When we put a DVD in the player, it obviously recognizes it, because we can hear the audio coming from the Concertone speakers, but we can't seem to pick out the right wires in that HUGE bundle to hook up to the television. Help!

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #2

Hey RedPondRanch,
Without knowing the particular DVD player or TV, there's an element of guesswork, However....
In order for the DVD player to 'Talk' to the TV there are some basic plugs and some advanced plugs depending on the quality/cost etc of the units. In the most basic system (which works just fine) you have three phono sockets on both units. These are colored YELLOW for video picture signal and RED and WHITE for audio left and right.
They are grouped together and sometimes marked with 'in' and out' signage.
On the TV use the three marked 'in' and on the DVD player use the three marked 'out'. If there are no in and out signs just go ahead and connect them up.
On the TV (remote) you may have a control marked 'Source' which will ask where the signal is coming from (ie the DVD player) just press it until you scroll to 'Composite' This should work but go slowly through the alternatives until you find the correct one(ie you'll see the picture and hear the sound....simple!!!!!
If your problem is the speaker wires being mis-connected and you have surround sound (five speakers) you'll have to be more specific.
Hope it works - if not come back.
Shekinah

Old 02-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome RedPondRanch to irv2.
Do you have a TV with a HDMI port on it or do you have a port into your Concertone.
Hook DVD into TV and feed audio from TV to your Concertone unit.
Check out this LINK # 1O3 post.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:18 AM   #4

But...but...but...

....but there is a huge bundle of wires with multiple ends that kind of all look alike coming out of the back of the Concertone!

The television is a plain, old vanilla Orion. It has two input plugs, one white and one yellow. That's it. We've tried plugging in the various white/yellow plugs coming from the Concertone to no avail. The Concertone is reading the DVD (we can hear the movie just fine) but apparently the Concertone is not communicating with the television.

Is there something that tells us which wires are for hooking up different types of peripherals?

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #5

'Old School' A/V Protocol

The Orion TV definitely sounds 'Old School', as I have a few items of. The RCA Jacks are very likely inputs. Yellow is Video. White is Audio In, but Mono. If there also was a Red RCA Jack, the Audio In would be Stereo. Whatever you plug into the Orion and get to work will be in Monaural Audio.

The Orion inputs likely become 'live' only when you switch it from 'TV' to 'Video', either via a button on the TV Front Panel, or by a Remote. These 2 Jacks were built in to play Video & Mono Audio from early Video Recorders.

Most all newer A/V equipment continues to have RCA Jack Outputs that work in parallel with newer A/V Outputs, like HDMI. See if you can locate the Yellow and White RCA Output Jacks on the Concertone. Connect them to the Orion. Figure out how to switch the Orion to play Video input. You'll then be able to watch a DVD, but only 1 Audio Channel will be heard in the Orion. Turn down the Orion and listen to the higher quality Audio via the Concertone.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Radio Shack would have RF-Module what you need I use it on my DVD PLAYER when a disk is placed in player signal will switch to TV.
Take a look in Quick Tips item #2 of DVD installation think part number is there.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #7

Thanks so much for your responses, especially Engineer Guy and 007. You give me hope! I'll give it a try and see what happens!

Thanks again!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #8

I have the same problem with my concertone zx 600 in my 5th wheel. CD works on all speakers, DVD plays with sound but I dont know where the hookups have been changed so that the tv doesn't pick it up? Kinda same problem as above............can't really look behind the zx 600 for where some plugs might go..........have to figure out how to aget it out I guess.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
It might behove you to spend a bit and get a new tv that has all the inputs...
new hd tv's are light, relatively inexpensive, excellent picture, and easy to hook up....

good luck
(and if you are stumped, ask any 16 year old in the park to help you )
Old 03-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #10

Smile Getting DVD player to have video on TV from Concertone

Red Pond.

Engineer guy has you covered on the "old" tv with only one audio cable, the white and the yellow for video.

However you want to get to the wires is up to you. I used a thin putty knife to pry off the 'trim' from around the concertone (mine is zx600) then you can unscrew the unit to get at most of the wires below, holding the unit or getting a ladder to place it on. After that fishing around I found my wires inside the red, white and yello and connected them as usual for hooking up a dvd, using the connecting line red,white,yellow to the three
coming out of the dvd to my TV. Still no picture, just sound. What to do? Well, there was a set of three yellow wires hanging together, one
had a end that could be connected the same as the others, but the other
two were in a kind of plastic sleeve, so that it didn't appear that they could be connected to anything. So at the risk of blowing something up, I decided to that that 'stray' yellow plug put it together with the other red, and white and tried it. Sure as heck, it worked. Got the sound and the picture. So when you find the 3 plugs that look like the typical set up to be connected, the yellow has to be dropped and connected to the yellow that is in another grouping of wires. Sounds funny that they did it that way, but at least mine is working now.

After about 2 hours of strain, a few curse words, etc. But be careful you don't unhook some other wires (like power) when you are digging around in there. I got mine working one time after I had the problem solved, and then the next minute I tried it there was no power...........figuring out where that power line had gotten disconnected took a few more curse words, finally got that corrected (bad splice on power wire) and everything looked rosy. So far so good. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #11

Red Pond,

Sorry, I forgot to mention, on my TV I have to use "source" and select AV in order for the DVD to play. On your old TV I don't know how you access the DVD, but you'll definately have to select 'something' in order to access the concertone DVD...........I think Engineer Guy might have covered that.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #12

Anyone have a zx500 or 600 remote control for the concertone they want to sell cheap? Contact me: rhouse1938@comcast.net.

Tags
concertone zx500, dvd hookup