Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #1

Hot Water Heater

I hooked up my water to my travel trailer this weekend with all the necessary valves open (including the in and out on the water heater). I kicked on the water heater, and could hear it fire up, but after an hour still no hot water. Am I missing something? Thanks much.
kamperken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you close the waterheater bypass valve? Did you purge the water heater clear for water into the heater?

Did the water heater stay on?

I presuem you are talking propane and dis you purge the propane line to the heater to allow the burner to light?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #3

If you have a outside shower, make sure the valves are closed.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:48 AM   #4

Shouldn't the Water Bypass valve be Open? Is there a valve that i could be missing other than the hot and cold water line valves? I have both gas and electric heat element on the water heater. They were both on.
kamperken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Never ever turn a HW heater on unless you are 100% sure it's full of water. If you had it on elec with no water in it, you probably burned out the element.

Turn all water pressure off to the coach. Go outside and remove the drain plug to the heater. If there is no water, you need to turn the by-pass valve. If there is water let it drain. Then turn pressure on to make sure water is still getting to the tank, just in case you had turned the by-pass valve a few times previous.

Once you know all valves are in the correct position and the tank is full, turn on gas heater. If all is well, you should have warm water in 5-10 mins.

If the tank was empty and you had elec heat on for an hour, I have to believe the heat element is shot. Unless, your unit has a safety feature to prevent this.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We need to start with the obvious. One weekend RustyJC and I tried to help a fellow over the internet with his water heater. His wife could not get a hot shower and he was in "hot" water. Never sould get hot water.

He psoted a note later that he had taken the used RV back to the dealer. The dealer reported back that be did not even have a water heater. It had been removed and the lines bypassed. Duh....so start with the obvious.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We need to start with the obvious. One weekend RustyJC and I tried to help a fellow over the internet with his water heater. His wife could not get a hot shower and he was in "hot" water. Never sould get hot water.

He psoted a note later that he had taken the used RV back to the dealer. The dealer reported back that be did not even have a water heater. It had been removed and the lines bypassed. Duh....so start with the obvious.

Ken
Wow, that's pretty bad. Got to give the guy a little credit for owning up to that one and reporting back.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
And he missed that on the walk through?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water