Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #1

Hot water heater

Have an Atwood model number GC6AA-10E hot water heater. It is both electric and gas. There are two control switches inside the camper on the switch board, one switch for electric mode the other for gas. In between the two switches is a very small red light. On top of the red light is the letters DSI and on the bottom of the red light the letters FLT. When I place the unit in gas mode it will light and stay lit for a view seconds then go out. When it goes out the very small light labeled DSI/FLT lights up. When in the electric mode it will stay lit for a view minutes then the main breaker will trip and the DSI/FLT light comes on. Any ideas as to what's wrong? The camper is only two years old and we have used the hot water heater maybe three times.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #2

The DSI; ( Direct Spark Ignition ) light is to say that the propane operation is in the process of lighting up and goes out when the propane stays lit. Normal operation, for the propane function. If the DSI light stayed on , that would be an indication of a no start condition.
My heater doesn't have a FTL light so I can't even say what the acronym means.
However you say the MAIN breaker trips , do you mean all the 110 volt power, in the RV; goes off or is it just the dedicated breaker for the water heater that trips ?
The questionable water quality in many parks can corrode the 110 heating element inside the tank causing a short , and tripping the breaker. I have to replace my element every season , but I live in the RV 5 months at a time.
If your problem is that , just the water heater C/B trips then the element is probably shot , approx $15, instructions for replacement should be in your owners manual.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:07 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bet FLT means Fault
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:07 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
This google search is loaded with results that might point to a resolution.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ater+FLT+light
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #5

Thanks would an inline water filter help with the element?
Old 07-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #6

DSI and FLT go together. It's a Direct Spark Ignition Fault. This means that the propane isn't lighting. It could be out of adjustment and the sparking module isn't firing, or it could be dirty of have a blockage (like a spider web). My parents had to adjust the spark gap on theirs this year to get it working.

If the electric is tripping the breaker, it could mean that the element is burned out. Are you sure the water heater isn't bypassed? This could definitely do that.

The gas problem is probably an easy fix if you can get in there and clean it out and watch for the spark. The electric isn't that bad either but more expensive if the element is burned out. You'll need a multimeter to check the element (and the power to the trailer turned off).
Old 07-25-2016, 11:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduckie View Post
Thanks would an inline water filter help with the element?
After several failures of the element and installation of a washing machine I now get Culligan water softener for my 5 month stay , coach has a filter , element still only lasts 2 seasons.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater