Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #1

Hot Water Heater??

While trying to get my hot water heater running this weekend I could not get it going on gas, worked fine on electric but not on gas. YES I did have propane in the tanks, heat was working fine and we cooked on the stove right after. Had my daughter push the button for the gas, igniter clicked, gas lit off then died off. We tried this about 10 times then gave up, am I missing something?? I am new to this so please excuse my basic questions. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #2

You likely have a bad thermocouple. The thermocouple is the small bulb that sits in the flame. It;s sole job is to provide milivolts of electricity to the gas valve . Takes about five minutes to change it.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #3

You might also check the burner tube and orifice for any obstructions, might not be enough gas to sustain a flame.

If it's the auto-ignition type of water heater, the flame sensor might need to be cleaned. It's a wire electrode that provides the spark to fire and then senses if there's a flame. Use steel wool, not sandpaper, to lightly clean away any corrosion. Don't bend the electrode, if it's too far from the burner, the spark can't make the jump.

The burner tube and wire electrode are easy to remove, usually just one screw holding things together.

Hope this helps, let us know what you find out.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #4

If the first two ideas don't solve the problem you may want to look into your gas regular. It can malfunction and still supply enough gas to lite a stove burner, but not enough for the water heater or furnace. Try running all burners on the stove at once, do they provide the flame you'd expect on high setting?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #5

The furnace has run for the last few weeks without a problem, when I go up in a few weeks I will try the thremocouple, Burner tube and orifice, then the regulator. As I sit here thinking, while I was trying the gas I did not realize the switch on the Hot Water heater was off, after trying the gas I came inside and looked and saw the switch was off, put it on and then just tried the electric and the electric worked. I will have to retry the gas while the switch is in the ON position before I try all the other great sugjestions. Thanks for the insight.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
GPW

While we're talking about water heaters , did anybody try one of those Hot Rods to run the WH off electricity ... ???
Old 04-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #7

GPW

I used a Hot Rod several years ago. I installed it on a gas only water heater in an Airex Class A. At the time I had a assignment and was staying in a park for several months. Never had a problem and had a hot showe daily.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
GPW

Kech , Thanks !!!... I need to try that .... I just can't get comfortable knowing the WH , with a pilot light, is under the bed ... Makes me wonder what Jayco was thinking , or not
Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #9

Famlyman,

Those other suggestions about the thermocouple/flame sensor are good but here’s what worked for me.

My water heater would light off on gas and after about two or three seconds it would go out. If I switched it off and then back on it would do exactly the same thing again.

AFTER I changed the expensive circuit board, I found the problem. I had a bad ground connection.

If your water heater is wired like mine, there is a wire that comes from the circuit board that goes to a screw that mounts the circuit board. That’s the ground wire. On my water heater, the screw had corroded and was not making good contact with the wire. I removed the screw, cleaned it thoroughly, and re-installed it. No problems since (knock on wood).

Good luck with your unit,
– Loren
Old 05-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #10

Going up this friday night to try these hints, thanks for all the replies. I will post up my results on monday or tuesday. Thanks