Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 07:57 AM   #15

Here is another answer to an "un-asked" question. There are mobile RV service companies who will come to you if you need help and can't or don't want to tow to the dealer.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 09:06 AM   #16

Your weird vent thing near the floor--could it be the carbon monoxide detector? That cycles a small amount of room air through it to look for CO. On the heater, it sounds to me like it's in bypass mode. On mine, that took two water line valves being swapped to take it out of bypass and start sending water through it. Those valves were mounted near the water heater, but I had to remove a drawer and an access grate to get to them. If you're running the water heater on propane--does it run for about a minute and then shut itself off?
Old 11-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #17

That picture of your water heater helped a lot............

You do NOT have 'electric & gas' model
That is a GAS ONLY model (G6A-8E)
*Gas 6 gal 8th version Electronic ignition

MUST have propane AND 12VDC to get HOT water
The ONE switch INSIDE is for the GAS side of water heater
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #18

Agree, watch YouTube videos until you understand the hot water heater bypass valve. Make sure you have water in the hot water tank before you turn it on. Also if may take several minutes for the propane to fill the lines and kick on the water heater.

On my trailer there are 2 valves I turn to winterize my unit so the same 2 valves to turn to un-winterize it. I have a diagram on how the valves need to be turned...but it is difficult to understand the diagram. I have been known to mess it up.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:24 AM   #19
tcg

My RV (a very old one) has a gas only hot water tank. There is a switch in my kitchen that needs to be on in order for the hot water tank to fire.

Check your circuit breaker panel for your 12 volt stuff and see if there is one labeled hot water. If not look around, including inside cabinets for a rocker switch that may or may not be labeled.

Do you have a gas stove? Does that light? DO you have a gas refrigerator? Does that light?

It sure sounds like there is a switch somewhere that just needs to be turned on. There has to be a way to kill the hot water heater without turning the gas off.

I have no idea what model you have but I did find a manual for a 5th wheel and in the manual it says...

Water Heater Switches (if so equipped): are located at the command center panel, and will light up when turned on.

Did your new RV come with a manual?

Here is a link to the manual I found, it seems pretty comprehensive, maybe if you could find the manual for your RV the answer could be found there.

Here's a link to their manuals.

https://www.highlandridgerv.com/owner-support/
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
My RV (a very old one) has a gas only hot water tank. There is a switch in my kitchen that needs to be on in order for the hot water tank to fire.

Check your circuit breaker panel for your 12 volt stuff and see if there is one labeled hot water. If not look around, including inside cabinets for a rocker switch that may or may not be labeled.

Do you have a gas stove? Does that light? DO you have a gas refrigerator? Does that light?

It sure sounds like there is a switch somewhere that just needs to be turned on. There has to be a way to kill the hot water heater without turning the gas off.

I have no idea what model you have but I did find a manual for a 5th wheel and in the manual it says...

Water Heater Switches (if so equipped): are located at the command center panel, and will light up when turned on.

Did your new RV come with a manual?

Here is a link to the manual I found, it seems pretty comprehensive, maybe if you could find the manual for your RV the answer could be found there.

Here's a link to their manuals.

https://www.highlandridgerv.com/owner-support/

RE-READ OPs first post
He has a 'Hot Water Switch' inside his trailer

He was side tracked into looking for another switch for the electric element which he does NOT have

His Atwood WH is GAS Only....
OP needs to valve in his porpane cylinders (provided he has propane in them)
Establish propane flow by lighting off stove top burners on HIGH so propane regulator can be in service and propane flow.
Then OP needs to have good 12V DC either via converter or straight from battery

Then will have to try lighting off water heater....several attempts to get proane flow to water heater
Turn switch ON....wait for RED Light then turn off ----repeat
When FLame lights off it is loud enough to be heard........20 minutes later/HOT water
Old 11-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #21
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
RE-READ OPs first post
He has a 'Hot Water Switch' inside his trailer

He was side tracked into looking for another switch for the electric element which he does NOT have

His Atwood WH is GAS Only....
OP needs to valve in his porpane cylinders (provided he has propane in them)
Establish propane flow by lighting off stove top burners on HIGH so propane regulator can be in service and propane flow.
Then OP needs to have good 12V DC either via converter or straight from battery

Then will have to try lighting off water heater....several attempts to get proane flow to water heater
Turn switch ON....wait for RED Light then turn off ----repeat
When FLame lights off it is loud enough to be heard........20 minutes later/HOT water

Did not see that but I did address the propane issue by asking if his other propane systems were working.

If he turns that switch off and on, with or without propane, he should hear the igniter fire for a couple seconds and then stop when it doesn't light. If he can't hear it clicking it might not have 12v power.

So the OP should check to see if his stove or fridge (if it's LP) light or attempt to light.

LP tank might not be on or empty but he should here the heater clicking either way.

I also provided a link where he could find a manual that would probably help as well.

Too bad there is no one nearby, I'm sure it's a very simple thing that's being missed.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:50 PM   #22

Mine has a little switch on the water heater itself. Open the outside cover, you probably have a little on/off switch on the heater. Turn it on and also turn on the switch inside the camper on your panel or ? And you're probably good.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:37 PM   #23

The heater was identified already as an Atwood........NO outside switch......only Suburbane has outside switch...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
The heater was identified already as an Atwood........NO outside switch......only Suburbane has outside switch...

And it is a GAS ONLY Atwood
G6A-8E
Old 11-21-2019, 01:23 AM   #25

If people would read from the beginning of a thread they would only be 1/2 as long.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #26

I have been out of town since yesterday evening until tomorrow, and am attending a conference so I have no time to reply right now. But so many people here have been so kind to me that I just couldnt let you all think I was just ignoring your incredibly helpful responses. From the bottom of my heart, thanks go to all of you for taking your valuable time to help someone you don't know and cant benefit from. If this is typical of the RV community then I'm proud to be a small part of it.

I look forward to following your suggestions, answering questions, etc within the next 2 days. Thanks again!
thecityman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #27

Make or Model

https://www.highlandridgerv.com/products/

With a propane only hot water heater does it not have to be ignited (either pilot or some sort of igniter). The image posted here appears (to me) to be a pilot light. If that is not ignited (no hot water).
dusty 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Did not read the entire thread so this question may have been asked.

I wonder if the winter bypass valve on the water heater is turned to winterize?

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater