RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #1

Hot water heater on brand new RV not working?

Hi folks. You may have seen my previous thread in which I explained that I just had a house fire and then bought an RV on very short notice so I would be be to stay in it while my house is rebuilt. As a result, I'm the least informed/experienced RV owner of all time! SO gorgive my dumb questions.

I finally got my new waterline ran 425 feet and my new HEAVY (6 ga) electrical wire ran the 210 feet to my RV. I'm working on running a line from my RV to my house septic tank input and that should go ok. SO oeverall I'm almost ready to move it!!! No more hotel...yeah! But I have a question or two and hope you folks will help me!

Primarily, my problem is with my hotwater. I have hooked my RV to the waterline and everything is working well with the cold water. All the faucets in my RV have good pressure (I did put a pressure reducer on the line to be safe) and both hot and cold handles produce water in both sinks. HOWEVER....there is NO HOT WATER.

Now, it is very possible I am doing something wrong, so please tell me if i'm missing a step. Just inside the door of my camper there are several switches for thing like water pump, awning out-in, the expandable side in-out button, and one that says "hot water heater". I turned on the hot water heater and left it on for an hour, then turned on the hot water on my sink (I tried both sinks). I couldn't tell any difference at all in hot and cold. So is my BRAND NEW RV already got a problem, or am I doing something wrong?

Is there some other place I am supposed to turn on the hot water heater? I don't even know where the hot water heater itself is located, nor do I know if there is some kind of on/off switch ON the hot water heater itself? Is there?
If not, can you think of any other reason I'm not getting any hot water? Its hard to believe my RV which is a 2020 model brand new and came directly from the lot to my house is already got a broken hot water heater, but i just don't know. Any help appreciated

one other minor question.... there is some kind of air vent or air filter or something in my RV that is down near the floor. I can hear a fan running in it, but when I put my hand in front of it I feel no air blowing out, so it must be an intake. My concern is that this thing runs all the time when my RV is plugged in to the power. I see no switch for it anywhere- not on it and not inside the door where other switches are. So, what is this thing, and does it run all the time my RV is plugged it? THanks so very much.

Kevin!

thecityman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #2

Got any propane? Tank turned on?......In side switch is to heat tank using propane......If no other switch on panel for water heater, you must have a Suburban brand water heater......it has a switch on the heater itself......hard to see, but on lower left side accessed thru outside door that covers burner...Google Suburban hot water heater door....then you'll know what to look for.......noise could be fan in power converter......batteries fully charged?......Fan cools converter when charging....

Old 11-19-2019, 09:00 PM   #3

Thank you so much for the suggestions, Bob. That was very helpful. And btw...I'm fully aware of how dumb my questions must sound. Please keep in mind I'd never even been inside an RV before I bought this one so its all VERY new to me!

It helps to know that the switch on the wall is for heating water with propane. I could have sworn the girl who showed me how to use everything said I would have to turn that button on every time I took a shower whether I used electric or propane. But I was overwhelmed that day.

OK, so tomorrow I will look and see if I have a suburban water heater, and I'll watch some you tube videos to help me learn to recognize it and also find the electric switch. I sure hope it is that simple.

As for the fan/air vent, I have no idea. Perhaps I can post a photo of it tomorrow and you all can help me a bit more figure out what it is and why it runs all the time. It seems to run louder when I turn my battery lights on, but it runs even when everything in RV is turned off. hmm?? Its located in the cabinet that my sink is on but it is down almost on the floor. beats me!
Old 11-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #4

No shame for not knowing.....that's why forums exist......will be gone all day tomorrow but will come back to thread when I get back.......the door has a grill work ( it's a vent) that takes up about 1/4 of the door and most have a plastic type 1/4 turn latch.....Are you plugged into shore power?.....Do you have water pump switch turned on?
Old 11-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #5

Your water heater my be in BYpass mode. Water will flow all over your rig just NOT go thru the water heater. If it is full of water your safe. If empty and you turn on the electric element it will burn out. If so it will still work on propane but not if it is bypass mode. You need to YOUTUBE this.

You need to find the Water Heater. The bypass valves are on the back side.

Do a youtube search on your make and model. You need to put your Make and model #in your signature line so we all know what you have. Go to CP user to left of this page. Thee is a BIG differance between Travel Trailers and Motor Homes. We all own RV's some are MH. Some are 5th wheels. Some are travel trailers. etc.

The fan you are hearing is the cooling fan on the CONVERTER. It contains 12 volt fuses and maybe the 120 volt circuit breakers. It charges the batteries. It is on doing that and you are hearing the cooling fan.

Most all RV equipment involved is on or near the floor. You also need to find your water pump. Turn it on and follow the noise. It will be hiding behind a panel.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:11 PM   #6

THank you both so very much, You both suggested I watch some you tube and I've already watched a LOT of them since you guys suggested that...and they were incredibly helpful. I now think I know what to do. Also, thanks to both your warnings AND those videos, I'll not burn out my hot water heater! The good news is that just by chance I didn't burn it out already I'm pretty sure. I was hooked to city water and I let the hot and cold run till they quit sputtering BEFORE I tried to turn on hot water (purely by chance, not because I knew what I was doing, but fortunately it sounds like I didn't turn on empty tank.

Anyway, I'll use your suggestions and my new you tube knowledge and go try again tomorrow on my RV hot water.

I will add my rig later. I have a small Highland Ridge RV that is 21 (maybe 22?) foot long as I recall. It is a towable with hitch/not 5th wheel or gooseneck. I don't know the model but I need to find out. It is a 2020 year

Thanks so much for both of your kindness and willingness to help a stranger just trying to get into all this. have no doubt that when my house is rebuilt from the fire I'll enjoy doing some "real" over the road RVing!

Oh....yes, I am not hooked onto a plug-in electric. Also ran a new Pex waterline (425 feet and we burried it 30 inches)
Old 11-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #7

All good advice above. Add to it:
Once the water heater has water in it, it is subject to freezing. Make sure that it is "on" and working at all times when the temp outside is below freezing.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #8
tcg

If you're not absolutely sure there is water in the tank, open the drain valve on the tank to be sure there is water in there.

Also, you said brand new, was the dealer any help?
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:41 AM   #9

Highland Ridge RV appears to be a dealer. Look on the sticker on the driver's side front of the TT. It will list the make and model and VIN number.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #10

My mistake above. Highland Ridge is a brand. We still need the make and model. It could be an "Open Ridge" or something like that.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #11

Haha. I tried to tell you all I was dumb about all this, but me not knowing the difference between the dealer name and rv name is just ridiculous!!! Haha. Yet you all continue to be so kind and helpful and I appreciate it more than you will ever know. My dealer is pretty much useless to be honest. The sales people know as little as me (really!!!). My salesman had been there one week when I bought my rv and had no prior experience. So when I call they have to send me to the maintenance dept. It's a very small dealer so that usually takes about 30 minutes of hold time, and even then they usually say they need to look into it and call me back but never do. It's also an hour drive away so I can't just walk in and ask questions.

Anyway, I am now 100% sure thank is full. When I pull that thing on the pressure valve up water comes out. And I've ran water thru both inside hit sockets.

I'm back here this morning and more frustrated than ever. All the the you tube videos showed where there was a hidden switch inside the hot water panel so I thought I had it made. But I get here and open the panel and I am 99% certain there is not an off on switch of any kind d anywhere on the thing or anywhere inside the panel. The instructions on the back (inside) of the panel you open to see the hot water stuff has directions for how to turn on the hot water heater when using electricity. Step one says "turn remote off on switch to "on"". Grrrrrr!!!!!!! I can not find a switch!!! Not inside the panel anywhere, not inside the camper anywhere, nothing. I'm so lost. Any more ideas would be very much appreciated".

Oh.....my camper is a HIGHLAND RIDGE but as far as what model number I can't figure that bbn out either. The sticker you told me to look at has a big vin number so maybe it's in it?
Old 11-20-2019, 08:19 AM   #12

I hope this is a photo of my hot water heater compartment
Old 11-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #13

Ok......I think I have figured out the photo thing....hope this helps?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191120_075029.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	267432  
Old 11-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #14

Sorry about the dealer/brand thing. Still, it is my policy that there is no bad question except one not asked, and no bad answer except the one not given.

I see you are using good experimental technique. That is the way that works best for me. I am not as good at understanding advice others give me.

The picture is exactly like my water heater. My Kodiak Cub has two water heater switches inside the TT. They both have red lights in them that come on when switch is "on". One switch is for electric heating. One is for propane heating. They can both be "on" at the same time. Both of these work on 12 volts. They activate the water heater control board.

There is a third switch. It is the circuit breaker for the electric water heater on the main AC power panel. Probably near the fan you heard running near the floor. The circuit breaker should be "off" when water tank is empty to prevent melting the electric heater element.

As far as I know there is no switch in the water heater access space.

Was the water that came out of the over pressure valve hot? If so, I would look for a winterizing bypass valve that is in by pass position.

My TT has one valve on the back side of the water heater. Some installations have two or three. The by pass valve in my TT is accessed by unscrewing an interior panel. This scenario is less likely.

If the water is cold, continue looking for electric issues. There is a 12 volt fuse for the water heater control board. It will probably be near the circuit breaker mentioned above.

The next thing is to trace 12 volt wiring using a voltmeter. I would look at 12 volt side first because the propane heat should work even if the 120 volt side is not working. You may wish to have the dealer do this. Some knowledge about RV 12 volt systems is helpful.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater