Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #1

hot water heater question

Howdy all...couple of questions for you experts.
We have a new 2016 Vision 19RB.
We are at a rv campground with city water hooked up.
I know the hot water heater has water in it..I opened the pressure relief valve and water came out (cold). I had the electric switch on for about 3 hours, turned the water on hot and the water came out cold.
I turned the switch off and propane switch on and it heats the water that way.
This is the first time we have used the system.
Any thoughts or ideas?
Lee
cheekster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Is the water heater plugged in and is the breaker on?
Old 06-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #3

As said, check breaker in fuse/ breaker panel.
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #4

Bypass valve
Old 06-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #5

My Daughter's travel trailer has a switch in the outside access to the hot water heater. It's behind some of the other parts in there so we had to look around somethings to find it.
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #6

First, you're going to need to lower the water level below or even with the pop off valve, but that's no big deal.

Next, what model is this? They are set up different ways. If it is a Suburban unit, you may or may not have a switch for the 120V element in the trailer, on the wall. It will look like most any 120V wall/light switch. If it is on, then you need to check the 120V breaker for it to be on. Then, you need to make sure the on/off switch on the outside bottom right of the WH is "on." If there is no switch like that, then you have an Atwood, or a NON electric Suburban WH.

If it's an Atwood, it will have a switch for 120V inside, maybe with a lightning bolt next to it. Again, make sure the 120V breaker is on. There is no on/off switch on the WH itself for an Atwood.

As for the bypass valves, not all RVs have them, but since there is water in the WH, we can mostly assume they are not bypassed. If you run the WH on LP and get hot water out of your faucet, then the valves or correctly set.

Most WHs don't need to be plugged in. Some older Atwood units did, and a few do now, but most are hard wired in.

Next time, just feel the pop off valve, don't let out water. There is supposed to be an air pocket at the top of the tank, and hopefully it's still there. Also, if that water WAS scalding hot, you'd be scalded right now.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:52 AM   #7

Thanks for all the ideas everyone.
The heater is a DSI Suburban type.
Their is a switch on the wall to choose between gas or electric to heat the water. The switches light up and work. There are no switches under the sink where it is hardwired in and no switch in the vent area on the outside.
I switched to gas and it heated the water. Was very hot.
I switched to electric and left it on all night. Tried the water and it was cold.
Also..as the tank was heating up with gas...the relief valve plug was dripping/leaking some.
I ll call the rv dealer later. Just dont want to use up all the propane to heat water. Im plugged into a 30 amp service here at the campsite..
Lee
Old 06-13-2015, 06:03 AM   #8

You have a little off/on switch on the heater from the outside access panel, it's hard to see, it on the left, behind the start of the burner tube. You should also have a breaker in your fuse/breaker box !
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:13 AM   #9

Ok thanks...I ll look again for the switch. All the breakers are on.
Lee
Old 06-13-2015, 06:15 AM   #10

I'll probably get flamed for this, but...

It's not a hot water heater. If the water was hot it wouldn't need heating. It's a "water heater".
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
You have a little off/on switch on the heater from the outside access panel, it's hard to see, it on the left, behind the start of the burner tube. You should also have a breaker in your fuse/breaker box !
He's right. That switch has to be on also.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:22 AM   #12

I found the switch!!
It was over on the left in the rear with a reflective piece of tape covering it...it blended into the background...sure enough it was off. It is on now and I ll wait for a bit to see if it works.
Thanks again everyone.
Lee
Old 06-13-2015, 07:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekster96 View Post
Thanks for all the ideas everyone.
The heater is a DSI Suburban type.
Their is a switch on the wall to choose between gas or electric to heat the water. I'm gonna have to say no. There is not one swith that flips between gas and LP. There will be TWO individual switches. One to turn LP on and off. One to turn 120V on and off. Both can be on at the same time. Because it's a Suburban, you may only have the outside switch and the 120V breaker.

Also..as the tank was heating up with gas...the relief valve plug was dripping/leaking some.

It's dripping because you opened the pop off valve.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:28 AM   #14

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1434202098.036449.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	97130

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
2005 Chevy 2500HD crew cab
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags