Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
Hot weather storage(non-covered) recommendations?

Rather than trailer my unit back home this summer I'm considering leaving it at an RV park in Apache Junction AZ. What precautions should I take to protect it during the hot season when not in use?

kirboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
The only suggestion I have is what I do with our coach during the summer. I have cut "blue board" foam insulation to fit into each of the skylights/ roof vent openings and pus them in from the inside/ live space. It deflects and stops a lot of heat from entering.

I also leave the A/C set at 85 or so, only comes on when extremely hot to help keep the interior form being damaged

Bill Aders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by kirboon View Post
Rather than trailer my unit back home this summer I'm considering leaving it at an RV park in Apache Junction AZ. What precautions should I take to protect it during the hot season when not in use?
The Phoenix area is a wonderful wintertime snowbird retreat, but it gets hotter than a two dollar pistol in the sumertime. Assuming it will be plugged into electricity all summer, then in addition to what Bill Aders suggested, I'd do two other things.

1] Jack the rig up until there is no weight on the tires, put it on jackstands, then cover the tires so no direct sunlight can hit them.

2] Cover the entire rig with a breathable RV cover that blocks almost all the UV rays from the sun. Not cheap. The good stuff for a large TT will probably cost over $400 at Camping World - maybe less on line. But it will protect the finish from the intense summertime UV rays.

Now that's assuming you will leave the rig plugged in to electricity, so the AC and battery charger work. But if you plan to unplug the rig, then additional steps are required.

1] Turn off the empty refrigerator, clean it spic and span, then block the door(s) open.

2] Flush out the black and grey water tanks, then drain them. Drain the fresh water tank. Drain the water heater.

3] Disconnect the battery(ies). If the battery(ies) are out in the open, such as on the hitch of a TT, then move them into the "basement" storage space inside the trailer. Or better yet, take them home with you and plug them into a battery tender while you're home.

4] Crack open a roof vent and a window. The RV cover should keep dirt out, and the window and vent screens should keep the critters out.

5] If your parking place is metered for electricity so that you pay for what you use, then I'd set the AC to 90 F. instead of the 85 Bill mentioned.

What do I do? When not on the road, I keep my TT in a barn to keep that nasty ole UV off it. I plug it in only to keep the battery charged up. It doesn't get quite as hot here as it does in Phoenix, so I don't worry about running the AC when it's stored in the barn.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
I don't know if I should call you Smokey or Grumpy but I do appreciate your storage suggestions. Thanks!
kirboon is offline   Reply With Quote