Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 07:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
So loose batt insulation with thin metal siding will do better than dense foam core with reflective gelcoat?
So now you are stipulating thin metal siding?

If you are comparing a Forest River product with fiberglass siding to a Nash stick wall with Fiberglass. ....Is 1.5 inch of DFC going to be better than a R-7 wall?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooter View Post
So now you are stipulating thin metal siding?

If you are comparing a Forest River product with fiberglass siding to a Nash stick wall with Fiberglass. ....Is 1.5 inch of DFC going to be better than a R-7 wall?
Thin is a relative term obviously. The siding I'm thinking of is .024", which is most common. Not sure what Nash uses.

Flagstaff actually has an R7 sidewall factor, but not sure how thick it is. Somewhere around 1.25" core, w/fiberglass, backed with Azdel, and then inside paneling.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #17

The one thing about wood frames is that IF a leak develops and goes unnoticed for some time wood will rot and mold. Some fiberglass units use Aluminum frames rather than wood frames. Leaks can still develop, but your frame will not rot requiring you to remove the rotted framing and replace with new.

Not all fiberglass siding RVs are the same, but some, like the Coachmen Freedom Express Line are made from Azdel rather than Luann. Azdel is impervious to water and will not rot or mold. Luann is not impervious to water and includes (I think) Fiberglass glued to a combination of insulation and layers of plywood. That plywood can rot and mold and the insulation can expand. The Fiberglass can "delaminate" and come unglued from the Luann. You've probably seen pictures of delamination.

Here is a picture of the rot that can happen when water sets in on wood:

Once the plywood portion of the Luann/siding sandwhich has been infiltrated by water, repairs are not so simple.

Because of that problem, we ONLY looked at RVs with aluminum framing, and were sold on the impervious to water Azdel. The worst that can happen to us from an undetected leak is damage to the floor.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #18

Thinking about this same question myself.
Also looking at a Wildwood vs Wildwood X-Lite.

It gets hot here in L.A. (Lower Alabama)

Are the Lightweights gonna have less insulation?
Old 10-16-2015, 06:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyB View Post

I'm also shopping; insulation is often the hardest spec to find. Generally, you can assume that a trailer with aluminum sides has R-7 fiberglass insulation unless they say otherwise. Sometimes the roof and floor are R-11, but the walls are almost always R-7. On the FR web site, the Wildwoods specify R-7 all around, the X-Lites don't say anything. Offhand, one aluminum-sided trailer that has an extra insulation option is the Starcraft Autumn Ridge.

The aluminum-framed trailers usually (but not always) use foam block insulation, which holds up better. Unless specified otherwise, this is usually R-7 as well, but some have more. You really need to go through the spec sheets, they almost never brag about insulation unless it's a winter camper. They always brag about their ball-bearing drawer slides.

The point being, if you want more than R-7 insulation in the walls, you really have to look for it. Typically it's not on the entry-level models, but there are some just a step above that offer more. Since your concern is summer heat, I'm not sure you can gain much without going crazy about it. Shade will probably help more.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
It's not necessarily less desirable, but to some it is. It's heavier, but cheaper.

Aluminum framing and laminated walls are lighter, better insulated, but more expensive.
And Aluminum framing doesn't rot.

Some manufacturer's like Coachmen have gone to Azdel siding instead of Luann which is impervious to water as well.

I specifically sought out the most rot resistant build materials.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #21

Here is my experience

This is the trailer I purchased brand new. 2015 WILDWOOD X-LITE 231RKXL

This has all the cool power options, tongue jack, awning, stabilizers. It has wireless remote that works all those features plus the slide and the lights. That is where the fun stops. This trailer is very poorly built. Cheap, cheap materials. Ive owned it since February and its been at the dealer for repairs several times. The quality of the materials is crap. All press board on the inside. I would advise against purchasing a Wildwood X-Lite
Old 12-30-2015, 09:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickbacon View Post
This is the trailer I purchased brand new. 2015 WILDWOOD X-LITE 231RKXL

This has all the cool power options, tongue jack, awning, stabilizers. It has wireless remote that works all those features plus the slide and the lights. That is where the fun stops. This trailer is very poorly built. Cheap, cheap materials. Ive owned it since February and its been at the dealer for repairs several times. The quality of the materials is crap. All press board on the inside. I would advise against purchasing a Wildwood X-Lite

Ya the show stopper package I also have that. isn't it great to have the remote only if the tongue jack was attached. People always notice that when ur setting up. We've pulled in a place when I was pooring out back in the site and put the awning out well sitting in the truck... There all made like junk every brand there built to be light so when u got x light super light and so on it gets cheaper. I have 3/4 Plywood on my floor and its solid full walk on roof ect. Do they lose that in the x lite?

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
2005 Chevy 2500HD crew cab
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:41 AM   #23

Not a walk on roof, I know that for sure. I'm not sure about the subfloor though. I bought this with out doing any research or anything (stupid, expensive mistake). I had several different popup trailers over the years. I sold my last popup right before a big camping trip and just happened to stumble upon this Wildwood on my way home. I thought the price was right so I pulled the trigger so that I could have a rig for the big trip. I've regretted it ever since.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyB View Post

We have a 2014 231RBXL and love it perfect for us when we camp we are outdoors most of the time, turned the air on once for about two minutes to see how it worked, we have a pretty deep slide. No complaints here
Old 01-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
The one thing about wood frames is that IF a leak develops and goes unnoticed for some time wood will rot and mold. Some fiberglass units use Aluminum frames rather than wood frames. Leaks can still develop, but your frame will not rot requiring you to remove the rotted framing and replace with new.

Not all fiberglass siding RVs are the same, but some, like the Coachmen Freedom Express Line are made from Azdel rather than Luann. Azdel is impervious to water and will not rot or mold. Luann is not impervious to water and includes (I think) Fiberglass glued to a combination of insulation and layers of plywood. That plywood can rot and mold and the insulation can expand. The Fiberglass can "delaminate" and come unglued from the Luann. You've probably seen pictures of delamination.

Here is a picture of the rot that can happen when water sets in on wood:

Once the plywood portion of the Luann/siding sandwhich has been infiltrated by water, repairs are not so simple.

Because of that problem, we ONLY looked at RVs with aluminum framing, and were sold on the impervious to water Azdel. The worst that can happen to us from an undetected leak is damage to the floor.
I think you are being slightly optimistic about the Azdel. My understanding is that if you have water intrusion, you can still get delimitation as the glue will release. You still have a very thin fiberglass sheet glued to the Azdel. I'd say it's definitely the better option when compared to luan, though.