Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2016, 06:18 PM   #15

Your GAWRs are on the sticker by your driver's door. More than likely the GCWR is somewhere in your owner's manual.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldelevatorman View Post
Go weigh the Jeep with you and a full tank of gas and subtract that from GVWR of 6500. That's your payload, then everything you add, wife, kids, stuff, hitch, tongue weight comes off that payload number. Leave your self some room for safety, 10% and see where you're at then. I bet you'll be overloaded before you're done. Good luck!
Ok I did a google search and found that that I get to subtract 150 lbs and the full tank of gas.

Quote:
Includes full tank and I believe 150 pounds for driver before you start using pounds from payload. Check your truck weight on the scale with you and a full tank of [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]gas[/COLOR][/COLOR]
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Base Curb Weight = 4,677 lb
Capacity / Weights - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
GVWR = 6,500
GCWR = unknown (not in the owners guide)
Max Tongue weight 620 lbs

2016 Lance Travel Trailer 1995
GVWR: 5700
Dry Weight: 3950
Hitch Dry Weight 330 Lbs.
Weight with full tank of Propane is 4276 lbs
Cargo Carrying Capacity 1750 Lbs.
GVWR 5700 Lbs.
stylinlp38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #17

Look on the door sticker of the vehicle.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #18

The only thing the door sticker says is the Tire pressure information and the following:

"The combined weight of the cargo and passengers cannot exceed 1050 lbs."

Jeep websites tell me my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado 4x4 v6 has a payload max of 1380 lbs. I guess the Tow Package IV, stereo system upgrade, and floor mats weight 300 LBS
stylinlp38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #19

I'd suggest taking another look at that label. Along with the information about tire pressure, it should also tell you the GAWR for front and rear axles. Perhaps there is another sticker or plate that you've not noticed.
The 1,050# payload figure is for your particular vehicle as it was built. There could be other items besides the ones you listed to make up the difference between the website figure and the one posted on your vehicle.
from one of your earlier posts
Quote:
Tow vehicle maximum tongue weight rating
Enter rating as provided by vehicle or hitch manufacturer, whichever is - less. -
1320 lbs but for some reason my sticker on the door jam only says 1030 lbs. weird.
Your payload for your whole vehicle is 1,050# - now way can your allowable tongue weight be 1,030#
Old 06-24-2016, 10:23 PM   #20
RPr

The CAT scales show my 5000 lbs. factory dry weight TT at 6200 to 6400 lbs. loaded for a trip. Tongue weight is about 750 lbs.

It puts my F-150 near the Max cargo when camp and fishing stuff is added.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #21

stylinlp38, your max. tow capacity is #6200(weight of trailer). You need to weigh your jeep loaded, full of fuel with passengers and see what your weight is.

The gross vehicle weight rating is #6500. Subtract the weight info you got from the scale, from 6500 and that will be what capacity you have left. Then add up the hitch weight and trailer tongue weight and what ever gear you add. That will be added to determine your total weight.

Example; say your vehicle weighs 4800 lbs at the scale full of fuel & no passengers. That leaves you with 1700 lbs for passengers, gear, hitch weight and tongue weight.

Look at the sticker on the drivers door edge, not the one on the door frame. I'd be very cautious on getting anywhere near the max towing weight of 6200 lbs. considering you have the V6.

If you live and will tow the majority of your miles on fairly flat ground, it may not be an issue towing with the V6 at close to max tow capacity. Any mountainous terrain will be another story.

I tow with a 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited with the V6 diesel, pulling approx. 5800 lbs. and do fine. The diesel and the Hemi are completely different animals.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Need to chime in.

As this is not our first go around. We knew what to look for with truck towing and trailer package..
Our tow vehicle F150 3.5L Eco boost super cab factory installed tow package with a 15,000 pound towing capacity..
We are currently Towing a Jayco white hawk 24RBS. With a GVWR of just under 6,000 pounds. If loaded to it GCCW.
That would give us. A tong weight of just under 600 pounds. If we loaded it to GCW. Then we added the WDH. And we are good to go.

When hitched together our towing assembly is level. Makes easy towing no hobby horse or swaying action.

We are getting the same mpg with our without the trailer in tow..

I don't freak as much about what we carry. We have lighten the load from when we first packed when we were younger.

I remember when we first went full time we had 38' bighorn with 4 slides that we towed with a F350 Ford duly. I weigh every item I put into the rig. With a scale. lol shipping scale lol. I was so afraid of going over the cc. We carried a lot of books. And junk we didn't need. I thought we needed to take our whole life along.

The best thing I can say is check our the label on the door of your truck. It will tell you a lot. Weight axles and towing and cc. Plus the rear end. You can find almost any of these on line You traile should also have a rating guide. Match them up. Have a good tow package and just match them up.
There are some many great trailers out there now. Just write down numbers and don't let the dealer tell you your vehicle will tow the RV.
It's like anything be smart and. Enjoy the good life.
sniggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, travel trailer, weight