Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #1

How did you mod to tow a boat etc.. behind your TT?

It's legal to tow a second trailer behind your TT in most western states. I may want to tow a light aluminium trailer behind my TT with a Polaris RZR on it. Total weight under 1500 pounds. I know my snake holder is NOT a bumper and NOT up to the task. With a fully enclosed underbelly I'm curious how I would strengthen things back there to accomplish this. Anyone doing this and how did you?
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #2

unyalli, Mounting a receiver hitch to your (or any) TT will require a direct link to the TT frame. I'm unfamilliar with your trailor type, but without a frame to mount to (fully enclosed underbelly) your option may be limited. Warrantee on a 2013 Rockwood would more than likely be worthless if a structural modification is made to the TT. my 2 cents.

RR
Razerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I seriously doubt if the Ultra-lite has enough frame at the rear to handle much of a load towing. Remember it is not just the weight, but the boat will be jerking and bumping around on the hitch and frame.

Another issue is whether this is legal in your state as well as the ones you will be towing or if you are properly licensed to tow double in your state.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #4

My snake holder came with a plate bolted on top with the bolts around the square tube with a square receiver mount tube welded to the top for the plug-in ball hitch. As I know the snake tube is not too strong I'd have to weld a bar back to the frame underneath for any towing. It would how ever hold a platform for my generator :-)
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I know it's not legal in WA, think OR and CA are the same too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #6

Legal in Utah Behind 5th wheel only in AZ
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Lots of states allow towing two trailers if the first trailer is a fifth wheel. Very few allow towing two trailers if the first trailer is a TT.

But legal or not, you have to remove the rear underbelly covering (and maybe some insulation) so you can access the frame of the TT. Any good welding shop can weld on a class III receiver if they can access the frame to weld on the appropriate reinforcements to get the receiver to the back end of the trailer. Then re-attach the underbelly covering with any insulation that was removed.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #8

You know it's funny. I never asked for "opinions" on legality. After researching this I found only 4 of 22 states (never mind ak and hi) west of the river who are a pain on this. Nm, az, wa, and or. Big deal. There is a thread where the barracks lawyers can argue this and have. I'm curious about functioning solutions. Those who have got past the nonsense and are doing it and how.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 08-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
You know it's funny. I never asked for "opinions" on legality. After researching this I found only 4 of 22 states (never mind ak and hi) west of the river who are a pain on this. Nm, az, wa, and or. Big deal. There is a thread where the barracks lawyers can argue this and have. I'm curious about functioning solutions. Those who have got past the nonsense and are doing it and how.

Thanks, Jeff
I'm sure that'll help get you more answers.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I'm sure that'll help get you more answers.
Ya I know.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #11

I was about to make a great suggestion that absolutely works, but after that statement, I now pass.
Macpeety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #12

So the moderator may as well kill this thread. I figured it was futile but what the heck, nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #13

I know what you mean about the "barracks lawyers". Amazes me how they think.

We had a Rockwood fw that I welded a hitch to and towed a RZR on an aluminum trailer (about 1550 lbs) from Ala. to Ida, and back, no problems what so ever. There was just enough frame sticking out behind the pan below the bumper to butt weld a 2.5" bar to. Same piece of stock welded to the bar in a T and reinforced just allowed a 2" reciever to fit.

It probably will void your warranty, but big deal. They'll try to void it for about anything.

OK naysayers, come get me, if you're picking on me, you're leaving others alone, and I can take the heat.
alageezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Unyalli

Folks on this forum are not trying to "barracks lawyer" you, they are trying to help keep you out of trouble, they most all have lots of experience.

I noticed that you don't think it's a problem to triple tow in California, to a point, that is correct as long as the first vehicle is a 5th wheel (this is also true in most states), although most tow guides don't tell you that, and in California, you must have a CDL with a doubles endorsement.

When, not if you get stopped in the state, they will ask you to leave your second trailer or have it towed for you, as well as a nice fine, we need the revenue!

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote