Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 07:54 AM   #1

How do I mount onto "tv backer"

My TT has a spot in the master bed area with a "tv backer" sticker on the wall. Obviously I need to first get a mount for the TV but my question is this.....without any markings or anything like that how do I know what is behind the wall and where?

Trying to avoid making the wall look like swiss cheese
365Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #2

It will be a solid pice of wood. Likely, a piece of 2x6 or 2x8. if you are concerned, you could use an electronic stud finder to locate the edged of it.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:05 AM   #3

That is kind of what I was thinking but wanted to make sure.
365Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #4
TVS

I know it's probably common sense, but measure the mounting bolts that come with the kit before you install them. They are designed for a 4" thick wall. I had to buy shorter lag bolts so they wouldn't poke through the other side. Mine is on an interior 2" thick wall. I would have had a new robe hook in the bathroom if I used what came with the kit.
TVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #5

Where they put the "TV Backer" label is not necessarily in the middle of the backer. On my TT it was at the very top of the backer in both the living room and bedroom. I used the very smallest drill bit I could find and drilled a test hole to locate wood, just don't drill through the wall behind it too. I was over the top of the board with the first test drill and hit wood when I went a little lower. Easy to fill a tiny hole drilled with a color matching wax pencil. It will be behind the TV anyway. Limit screw length to no more than 1 1/2". I called the factory to see if they could tell me the size of the backer, of course the answer was "What?". I would guess it is probably about 18" square plywood and 1/2" thick. I got my mount(s) at Walmart. Make sure you check the bolt pattern and dimensions on the back of the TV. It will vary with the size of the TV.