Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #1

How do I open the awning?

Hi, again,
The former owner of my "new" travel trailer (1999 Hornet) never opened the awning so he doesn't know how.

I don't see a crank or anything so I'm afraid that if I get it open I won't be able to get it rolled up again (especially since I'm only one person).

Your advice is appreciated.

Tom
Karoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
The awning on my 1998 nomad that I just sold was a pain in the ass and not really a one person job. No idea if it's the same as what you have though. Let me see if I have a picture.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3345.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	177163
Old 09-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #4

I could explain, but a video is worth a thousand words. Cheers. Remember not to leave your trailer unattended with the awning out. If it gets windy when you are away for hours, you might find it in less than perfect condition when you get back. I have saved a few peoples awnings by putting them in when they had left for the day. Cheers
Old 09-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Go to You Tube type in opening a trailer awning. Easier to watch then try and tell you.http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/sm...coolsmiley.gif
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #6

What make awning?

If A&E/Dometic flip up the catches midway up the support arms. Use the awning pull bar to flip the lever at the top of the front support arm. It's at the end of the roller tube. Use the awning pulling to hook the strap, should be hanging down near middle of roller tube, and pull.

If Carefree, trying to remember, flip up catches on support arms. Slide the lever on front control arm to unlock then pull the awning out, same as A&E.

Or go to YouTube.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #7

Augh! So much to learn! LOL

Thanks, again, everyone for your help.
I don't have a hook that I'm aware of. Is there a place where this item is typically stowed? I ask because I didn't think I had a sewer hose but accidentally found it inside the bumper!

Thank you,
Tom
Old 09-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karoshi View Post
Thanks, again, everyone for your help.
I don't have a hook that I'm aware of. Is there a place where this item is typically stowed? I ask because I didn't think I had a sewer hose but accidentally found it inside the bumper!

Thank you,
Tom
If you don't have a hook you can get one on Amazon for about 10$, I just ordered a spare one for my awning.

Also get some Camco awning de flappers, they really help on a stiff breeze.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:29 PM   #9

If you dont have a hook yet, and want to try the awning, you can do it with a stool or step ladder. It doesnt take much pressure to pull them out. Make sure you have a good hold on the strap when you go to put it back in. If the strap slips, the awning will retract very quickly, possibly damaging something. Most rvs have a hook, look in all the compartments. Good luck, and happy camping.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:51 AM   #10

so, my awning doesnt have a strap like in the video. also, the switch on the spring cylinder doesnt want to move, and im afraid to force it. is it supposed to be hard to move it?
Old 10-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #11

Yes it can be hard to move. You must know the manufacturer of the awning from a tag somewhere on the awning. Go to their website and it will show you the sequence of steps.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning