Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #1

How do I seal side electrical covers

I bought a used TT with several side covers that have dirty and yellowing sealant around them. One example is where they removed the outdoor speakers and placed round metal covers over them, except they did a sloppy job with the sealant and it looks like hell. I want to take these off, clean it all up and reseal it. What sealant should I use, Dicor, dicor tape, clear silicone or something else? Is there a trick to getting a nice even edge?
IAJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #2

NO SILICONE...........
Silicone will NOT even stick to silicone so if it is/has been used scrape it off then use a silicone residue remover and CLEAN the area thoroughly

Then use 'plumbers putty' to make a gasket for covers......tighten the screws and then trim off excess that squeezes out with utility knife

Keep unused and trimmed portions in zip lock bag...air tight for future use

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Dicor caulk is good, not the self-leveling type! Any home improvement store has lots of caulk to choose from, don't pick the cheapest and I'd shy away from silicone because it will fail, collect dirt, and be impossible to get anything else to stick where it has been.

Apply the caulk and then wet your finger in a detergent/water mix and smooth out the caulk with your finger.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
NO SILICONE CAULK. If that's what the previous owner used, you've got a bit of a chore ahead of you to remove it.

Dicor lap sealant, there are two kinds: self leveling for horizontal surfaces, and another kind for non-horizontal surfaces. There are other products that are specific to RVs as well, Eternabond is one that comes to mind.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I am not good at caulking. So to get a nice edge I use painters tape and leave the area that I want to caulk exposed. Areas that I don’t want to caulk get taped. Curved edges are taped using multiple short pieces of tape that are applied in an approximation of the curved radius.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfmorgan View Post
I am not good at caulking. So to get a nice edge I use painters tape and leave the area that I want to caulk exposed. Areas that I don’t want to caulk get taped. Curved edges are taped using multiple short pieces of tape that are applied in an approximation of the curved radius.

For good results, keep a bowl of soapy water nearby. After you lay down a bead of caulk, dip your finger in the water and use it to smooth out the bead.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #7

Depending on the area I tend to use the backside of the tip of a spoon to get a nice smooth bead as well as it helps to "push" the caulk into the areas need sealing like your wet finger would do. The spoon make for a prettier finished product. I am also a fan of the blue tape to cover areas I don't want to get caulk on.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #8

I use butyl tape and trim off the squeeze out....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, electric, electrical, seal