Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
How do i secure things to the (thin) walls?

You are all such big helps, I'm wondering if someone could suggest how to hang things from walls inside our new TT? Such as a small wall clock, small set of hooks (for light jackets or sweaters), etc. I'm thinking finding studs is out. And wall screws can be how deep? Thanks everyone.

TT: 2014 Puma 32DBKS
TV: 1995 GMC Z-71 4x4, 5.7L (restored)
ChiefGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
I use double sided tape or Velcro, kinda of a sleazy way of doing it but it works quite well

shockcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
Command brand tapes and hooks by 3M are awesome...can be found in drugstores, walmart, home depot...etc
amkrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #4
Command Strips work fantastic! We have been using them for years with no problems. We hung a clock with the Command velcro on walnut and changed the time twice a year and four years later we removed them to trade the MH and you would never know they were there! Lowes, Walmart and so on. Congrats on your new TT.
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #5
National RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by amkrouse View Post
Command brand tapes and hooks by 3M are awesome...can be found in drugstores, walmart, home depot...etc

I use them also...they work great....
Pilot: Tom & Co-Pilot Janet
Pets: Max & Gabby Mini Australian Shepherds
2006 Sea Breeze1350, GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
x4 on Command Strips by 3M.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
X5 on the Command Strips!! They are the ONLY way to go!!
2007 Excel Limited 30RKE 32' fifth wheel
2003 Excel Limited 35LKE 37' fifth wheel
2011 Ford F250XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD
EMD_Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club

We use a pair of thier hooks in the bathroom to hold robes, heavy stuff, no problem
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Thor Owners Club
But first try duct tape...kidding...we used the command strips and in the bathroom we use the metal hooks that hook over the bathroom door. DW put the same one on the bedroom door with 4 hooks.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #10
Forget screws.

3/16" Aluminum pop rivets. Here is a Youtube Video.

Since I started doing this things are MUCH more secure.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I depends on how long you want it to stay up. For permanent, you don't care that it leaves a hole -- pop rivets. For the "it might get moved later" stuff -- Command, for sure. For semi-hidden spots like inside the medicine cabinet -- industrial strength velcro. I put the hook side along the wall and small strips of the loop side on toothbrushes, deodorant, etc. to keep them in place. You can get all these at Hoe Depot or Lowe's.

For temporary stay put I use Uglu strips. I found them at Walgreen's Drugs. They are almost Command adhesive without the plastic attatchment pieces. Just a caution, tho -- I laid a TP holder that has a long flat metal surface down on top of a small stainless steel trash can and it is REALLY stuck! I decided that was as good a place as where I had planned to put it and I hadn't drilled the holes for the pop rivets yet. It works well metal to metal.
Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it is light stuff. Command adheasive stirps come in many versions and one of them is perfect for your needs.

If it's heavy, Find a stud and screw into it.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
X7 on the command strip use them to hang 8x10 photos of the family
Tsronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
Commands strips are great but they have been hit or miss in our TT. I tried using the Command Strip (3 or 5 lbs version) on a certain wall to hang a 2lb wall hanging and it wouldn't hold (and yes, followed the directions waiting 24(?) hours before hanging). No way it would hold a wood coat rack on the same wall. I used the plastic inserts and screws. The rivets would not have a deep enough base to hold the coat rack.

Although for everything else, rivets do seem to be the way to go for a permanent fixture.

RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote